Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

5 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

anyone that watches this world cup is a sucka. literally murdered thousands of people to create it. 

probably the same goofs with ukraine flags and badges

Some of us have directly helped Ukraine without putting the flags up. 

I want to watch the World Cup (begrudgingly) but it brings some of us some joy in what has being a sh!te few years.

Do I agree with Qatar’s moral standing and ethics? No, of course not.

Do I want some form of enjoyment that if I’d boycotted it, wouldn’t have made a blind bit of difference? Yes, absolutely.

Would I go to St James to watch Leicester away, yeah absolutely. Is there a difference? No.

We’re faced with these moral questions every day, without necessarily being conscious of them. Standing against one doesn’t negate the rest that are ignored. 

• Like 3

Lacazette leaves Arsenal. Just shows, best player and golden boots winner in Ligue 1, arrived with so much hype that he was going to push Arsenal to the next level but never really did it there

Edited by Sampson

14 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

The only problem I have with the World Cup is that it's in the winter so I can't sit in the pub garden with my mates and family. 

I can't control it being in Qatar, and neither can any of the rest of us "normal" people - so why bother getting worked up about it? 

Maybe a controversial point of view, but I'm watching a World Cup for the football and supporting England. I'm not watching it for Qatar and supporting their human rights policies. 

Normal people can control it to an extent though. If enough people don’t watch it then FIFA would be far less inclined to give it to another similar country if it hits them in the pocket. Many sponsors would also start to pull out if they saw people looking away.

There’s plenty of reasons to get worked up about it - if you have any lgbt friends or family for one thing, you’re celebrating and contributing to the culture that caused them so much pain. If you appreciate foreigners shouldn’t be worked to death to enjoy a game then it’s probably also worth thinking about.

I have no problem with people “just watching it” and accepting they probably shouldn’t, but trying to wash your hands of it and saying “I’m watching it for England not Qatar” is obviously an ostrich attitude. If you accept you’re contributing to the human rights abuses by watching it and make peace with that and it’s your choice that’s fine, but it’s not really a good mindset to try and rationalise that it’s actually ok and you’re not contributing to anything and can’t make a difference, that’s obviously not true. If there was no public outcry over Ukraine, governments and corporations would be doing very little right now, we wouldn’t have loosened our refugee visa system (which is still worse than the rest of Europe) and billion pound companies wouldn’t be pulling their money from Russia.

Watching the WC is one thing, but the public outcry over this WC has been depressingly mute. There was ample opportunities to pressurise corporations and FIFA by the public which haven’t really happened.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

The only problem I have with the World Cup is that it's in the winter so I can't sit in the pub garden with my mates and family. 

I can't control it being in Qatar, and neither can any of the rest of us "normal" people - so why bother getting worked up about it? 

Maybe a controversial point of view, but I'm watching a World Cup for the football and supporting England. I'm not watching it for Qatar and supporting their human rights policies. 

Get yourself a stand alone gas heater, tv on the wall in the garden with a manual tarpaulin in case it rains. Failing that, you’re welcome to come to mine where we have this set up 👍🏻

9 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Some of us have directly helped Ukraine without putting the flags up. 

I want to watch the World Cup (begrudgingly) but it brings some of us some joy in what has being a sh!te few years.

Do I agree with Qatar’s moral standing and ethics? No, of course not.

Do I want some form of enjoyment that if I’d boycotted it, wouldn’t have made a blind bit of difference? Yes, absolutely.

Would I go to St James to watch Leicester away, yeah absolutely. Is there a difference? No.

We’re faced with these moral questions every day, without necessarily being conscious of them. Standing against one doesn’t negate the rest that are ignored. 

But if you are conscious of them , then to ignore it makes you as culpable as the perpetrators. It only takes a few good men to stand by and do nothing for evil to flourish. I certainly won't be watching any off the world cup. the smell of corruption would put me off my beer. And I certainly won't shrug and say " yeah but it's entertainment isn't it".

Edited by PAPA LAZAROU

20 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Normal people can control it to an extent though. If enough people don’t watch it then FIFA would be far less inclined to give it to another similar country if it hits them in the pocket. Many sponsors would also start to pull out if they saw people looking away.

There’s plenty of reasons to get worked up about it - if you have any lgbt friends or family for one thing, you’re celebrating and contributing to the culture that caused them so much pain. If you appreciate foreigners shouldn’t be worked to death to enjoy a game then it’s probably also worth thinking about.

I have no problem with people “just watching it” and accepting they probably shouldn’t, but trying to wash your hands of it and saying “I’m watching it for England not Qatar” is obviously an ostrich attitude. If you accept you’re contributing to the human rights abuses by watching it and make peace with that and it’s your choice that’s fine, but it’s not really a good mindset to try and rationalise that it’s actually ok and you’re not contributing to anything and can’t make a difference, that’s obviously not true. If there was no public outcry over Ukraine, governments and corporations would be doing very little right now, we wouldn’t have loosened our refugee visa system (which is still worse than the rest of Europe) and billion pound companies wouldn’t be pulling their money from Russia.

Watching the WC is one thing, but the public outcry over this WC has been depressingly mute. There was ample opportunities to pressurise corporations and FIFA by the public which haven’t really happened.

The biggest reaction would have been for nations to boycott. They should have grown balls and said enough is enough. Then you would have had a World Cup with Qatar, maybe some African and Asian teams, San Marino, Lithuania and so on.

• Like 1

I do think countries included our own should have boycotted it. 

All it would have taken is a big nation, England, Germany, Brazil etc to have made a stand I reckon the others would have followed suit (much like last years Super League).

It was bad enough the World Cup was awarded to Qatar in the circumstances it was with the clear bribery and most people responsible now being found guilty but the stories which have been uncovered since makes this abhorrent to the extreme. Slave Labour leading to thousands of deaths is just being thrown away as a common headline! Whilst FIFA promote the beautiful game.

And that’s not to mention the other human rights violations and dangers to certain groups of society and will be persecuted for how they want to live their life 

it’s an utter disgrace top to bottom 

Edited by Staffs Fox
  • Like 4

Everton immediately follows up Moshiri's "mistakes were made, we'll do better" open letter with the announcement of a betting company as new shirt sponsor.

There's that little £372M loss swept under the rug.  And as far as I've read, Moshiri's money is still tied up in his piece of Usmanov's company.  Even though he "stepped down from the board".

"The People's Club" has become maybe the dodgiest club out there.  And that's a real mountain to scale nowadays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Son missed out despite being top scorer with Salah. 

Ronaldo shouldn't be there. 

How the heck is Son not in there?

Arguably Rodri was more consistent than Thiago who was only on it for the second half of the season.