Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

15 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

We got 2 goals from an xG of 0.46 against Brentford. Whilst we did dominate the ball we aren’t creating clear chances. Against Southampton, one of the worse teams and defences in the league, we had an xG of 0.32. That is the worst I’ve seen a team do against Southampton in recent years… @AjcW is right, we have been lucky and are significantly outperforming the quality of chances we are creating. 

We are BOTTOM of the premier league for big chances created and BOTTOM of the premier league for big chances conceded. It’s no coincidence that we are almost bottom of the league. We are genuinely bad at the two key aspects of the game. 

And filbertway was talking about individual quality trumping over tactics while xG by definition measures average or mediocre quality

We have for several seasons well outperformed xG due to the quality of players like Vardy, Maddison and Mahrez. You can’t say Maddison’s goal was luck compared to xG when he’s got the most goals in the division from outside the area since we signed him - that free-kick was pure individual quality, which Maddison is well above the mean average at scoring from that range. Vardy also almost always massively  outperforms his xG because he is one of the best finishers in the world and xG measures the ability of an average finisher by definition.

filbertway’s point was that we have individual quality which bails us out in comparison to tactics or chances created, which is not luck and xG by definition measures the probability of chances for an average, run-of-the-mill player, not a high quality one.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, FoxesWalk said:

We got 2 goals from an xG of 0.46 against Brentford. Whilst we did dominate the ball we aren’t creating clear chances. Against Southampton, one of the worse teams and defences in the league, we had an xG of 0.32. That is the worst I’ve seen a team do against Southampton in recent years… @AjcW is right, we have been lucky and are significantly outperforming the quality of chances we are creating. 

We are BOTTOM of the premier league for big chances created and BOTTOM of the premier league for big chances conceded. It’s no coincidence that we are almost bottom of the league. We are genuinely bad at the two key aspects of the game. 

XG should never be used in a single match basis! Ever!

Its statistically meaningless and does not take into account moments of quality and brilliance that we love in the game.

XG can possibly be used to track over a long period of time, but even then there are far too many variables in football for the metric to ever be used as a reliable indicator of success. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Its statistically meaningless and does not take into account moments of quality and brilliance that we love in the game.

XG can possibly be used to track over a long period of time, but even then there are far too many variables in football for the metric to ever be used as a reliable indicator of success. 

How many more games of us being bottom of the league for chances conceded and chances created would it take for you to be concerned? We’ve played Arsenal and two very bearable sides, and yet we are the worst in the league on both counts. 

xG is flaws,  it also very useful, it shows we are relying on individual brilliance for our goals, which is fine, except players go in and out of form and get injured… then what? So far it’s essentially Maddison alone making it look better than it should based on our system of play, he is now injured… 

Edited by FoxesWalk

1 minute ago, FoxesWalk said:

How many more games of us being bottom of the league for chances conceded and chances created would it take for you to be concerned? We’ve played Arsenal and two very bearable sides, and yet we are the worst in the league on both counts. 

xG is flaws,  it also very useful, it shows we are relying on individual brilliance for our goals, which is fine, except players go in and out of form and get injured… then what? So far it’s essentially Maddison alone making it look better than it should based on our system of play, he is now injured… 

I’m not concerned at all by our attacking play. We are one of the top scorers in the league and have been for the last few seasons.

XG I’ll reiterate is useless at looking at on an individual game basis. It should never be used in that way. 

Chances conceded and the defensive make up is where our concerns are. With players like Maddison, Barnes, Vardy we will always score goals. If we can improve defensively we’ll move up the table in no time - if we can’t we are in trouble.

• Like 2

On 26/08/2022 at 12:29, st albans fox said:

We have vards but he bullies by clever movement - we have no one who can stick a shoulder into anyone 

I think even Vardy has somewhat lost his 'nasty', 'ruthless' streak.

On 26/08/2022 at 13:52, Aus Fox said:

I 100% guarantee you that if you bet on games based on xG rather than actual results you would do better. 

• Like 2

I tell you something, for a bunch of serial winners, the ex-Man United players are as delusional as anyone who comments on Football, Ferdinand/Neville/Scholes etc, even Keane to a lesser extent.

Ferdinand has just claimed that Southampton have "Done a Stoke under Pulis" and have "Let the grass grow long" to stop 'Yanited' playing. What has he been watching since Fergie left? They've been crap for years pal. It reminded me of when that bloke from AFTV blamed the rain for a defeat. 

17 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

I tell you something, for a bunch of serial winners, the ex-Man United players are as delusional as anyone who comments on Football, Ferdinand/Neville/Scholes etc, even Keane to a lesser extent.

Ferdinand has just claimed that Southampton have "Done a Stoke under Pulis" and have "Let the grass grow long" to stop 'Yanited' playing. What has he been watching since Fergie left? They've been crap for years pal. It reminded me of when that bloke from AFTV blamed the rain for a defeat. 

There is a rule about height of the grass as well

K.20.
The height of the pitch grass shall not exceed 30mm and the entire playing surface must be cut to the same height. The grass shall be cut so as to display straight, parallel lines across the entire width of the pitch, perpendicular to the touchlines. No other form of pitch presentation (such as circular or diagonal patterns) is permitted.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Che Adams really isn’t much kop is he?

Our terrible defence just made him look good I think 

Our defence is good at letting others shine. I will hate to think what haaland is going to do to it 

Edited by foxes_rule1978