Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

6 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

The main reason people aren't watching as much football is they can't afford to do it! Right now, you need to subscribe to three different services, and you still can't watch a 3 p.m. Saturday fixture. The U.S. has been good about this: Every major sport league has featured matches on free-to-air. The Premier League has so many "packages" to sell -- one of them should be reserved to free-to-air (heck, Sky and BT could still bid on it, as long as it was on their Freeview channels).

You could alternatively go to your local lower league or non league team, that’s generally what the 3pm black out is for. 

Certainly agree though that one of those packages could be free to air. 

11 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

****ing hell Man City are going to be great. Haaland is some player. 

Haaland looks amazing, just a shame he plays for Norway. I can imagine now I bet he wished he hung around before comitting to Norway as he was born in Leeds. Unless something major happens, it's likely he will ever be able to play at world cup. Is there any other players like that, world class but never played in a world cup due to playing for weak nation? Would say George Best though i'm pretty sure he did play in one world cup?

9 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Haaland looks amazing, just a shame he plays for Norway. I can imagine now I bet he wished he hung around before comitting to Norway as he was born in Leeds. Unless something major happens, it's likely he will ever be able to play at world cup. Is there any other players like that, world class but never played in a world cup due to playing for weak nation? Would say George Best though i'm pretty sure he did play in one world cup?

I don’t think Best did, the game is littered with players who were phenomenal but didn’t get to play in a World Cup, George Weah is the first to spring to mind. Anyone Welsh, Southall, Giggs, Rush, Hughes. Finland and Iceland have had a few top players over the years too.

Then you have all the players that for one reason or another were not picked for their country, Ginola and Cantona for France, anyone for England that didn’t play for the right team - Frank Worthington, Matt Le Tissier etc.

9 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I don’t think Best did, the game is littered with players who were phenomenal but didn’t get to play in a World Cup, George Weah is the first to spring to mind. Anyone Welsh, Southall, Giggs, Rush, Hughes. Finland and Iceland have had a few top players over the years too.

Then you have all the players that for one reason or another were not picked for their country, Ginola and Cantona for France, anyone for England that didn’t play for the right team - Frank Worthington, Matt Le Tissier, Jamie Vardy etc.

26 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Kane would still start over him anyway, so doubt he regrets much. He probably has more affiliation to Norway anyway and wanted to represent them regardless of honours. Also as mentioned Norway have some very good youngsters coming from, he'll defintely get a chance in a couple of major tournaments.

Edited by Tommy Fresh

34 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Marc Albrighton

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Cantona or Giggs.

Cantona being the fascinating one seeing how he was one of France's best players but couldnt get on with their coach

Edited by LFox99

3 hours ago, Sampson said:

The growing excuse over the past 4 or 5 years seems to be that younger people aren’t as interested in football as past generations and so they need to try and win them over, especially given what a precarious financial bubble football is in, you’d think dwindling viewership and tv and advertising revenue would cause a monumental burst of the bubble if it happens. FIFA and UEFA both certainly seem to scared of it as a possibility at least.

I don’t know how true it is or if the viewing numbers back it up, but I wouldn’t surprised to see football going the way of cricket when first class and test match cricket was losing popularity in younger generations and they started to try and create punchier formats of the game to win them over. For better or worse.

For worse.

4 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Yeah give you that one, how he was not picked alongside Danny Simpson for the 2016 euro's beyond me. Premier League champions yet only one Leicester player picked... joke.

As amazing as they were.... it was right not to select them imo. There has to be a  balance of form and overall ability. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

It's like with any hobby/ sport/ entertainment - they're all competing together for young people's time and they've monumentally fuched themselves by 

1 - making tickets ridiculously expensive

2 - locking live games behind paywalls

Football should be the easiest thing for kids to get into. You need a ball and some shoes. If you can get down to a game for £20 with your dad, you'll do that every other week and have a lifetime of memories.

But, you can't because to get a ticket your dad has to pay £50 a year "membership" for the ability to buy tickets, then pay £40+ a game to take you (ignoring transport costs). That's if you can get tickets. You could try and watch it on TV but that's £40+ a month for Sky and another £20+ for BT. 

So, you play Fortnite with your mates instead because that's cheaper and something you can do from home, where your mum isn't worried about you.

Paying for membership just for the off chance of being able to buy tickets is a borderline con. Its extremely close to gambling in my opinion because you are paying for the chance. 

One of if not the worst things about modern football. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

It's like with any hobby/ sport/ entertainment - they're all competing together for young people's time and they've monumentally fuched themselves by 

1 - making tickets ridiculously expensive

2 - locking live games behind paywalls

Football should be the easiest thing for kids to get into. You need a ball and some shoes. If you can get down to a game for £20 with your dad, you'll do that every other week and have a lifetime of memories.

But, you can't because to get a ticket your dad has to pay £50 a year "membership" for the ability to buy tickets, then pay £40+ a game to take you (ignoring transport costs). That's if you can get tickets. You could try and watch it on TV but that's £40+ a month for Sky and another £20+ for BT. 

So, you play Fortnite with your mates instead because that's cheaper and something you can do from home, where your mum isn't worried about you.

I remember reading an apt description of modern football- it is the reverse Robin Hood, robbing the poor to pay the rich.

How can you expect youngsters to get really into it if they can't go or watch?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LFox99 said:

Cantona or Giggs.

Cantona being the fascinating one seeing how he was one of France's best players but couldnt get on with their coach

Cantina fell out with Henri Michelle I believe. Once Plantini was in charge, he recalled him to the France squad. 

He was featuring until the Selhurst Park karate kick debacle, then got replace by a certain Zinedine Zidane. 

He managed 20 goals in 45 caps. 

Edited by Sly

1 hour ago, Corky said:

I remember reading an apt description of modern football- it is the reverse Robin Hood, robbing the poor to pay the rich.

This a lot of words to describe 'capitalism' 😄 

• Haha 1

I think they’ve missed a trick to be honest, as many of us would watch a small sided 6 a side competition, played alongside the league. Only 30 minute games like the Soccer Sixes but with established players. 

Leicester Vs Manchester City

Kasper - Ederson

N’Didi - Rodri

Tielemans - KDB

Maddison - Silva

Barnes - Mahrez 

Vardy - Haaland

Edited by Sly

1 hour ago, Corky said:

0I remember reading an apt description of modern football- it is the reverse Robin Hood, robbing the poor to pay the rich.

Dooh Niboring is an integral aspect of most forms of government and business, not least, of those which claim to be for the poor people

But I totally agree, discouraging or inhibiting the early addiction of impresionable children is not a good long term business plan.

Fine if you just want to make money now though..........

Shouldnt (proven) malicious fake accusations of abuse be punished with the same severity as the (disproven) crime...?

However, I am drinking, dont even remember what thread this is......

13 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Unless she says she faked the recordings, or they were taken completely out of context, I am not sure that changes his situation much. Abuse is abuse, even if your partner decides not to pursue charges.

8 hours ago, Dames said:

Paying for membership just for the off chance of being able to buy tickets is a borderline con. Its extremely close to gambling in my opinion because you are paying for the chance. 

One of if not the worst things about modern football. 

It’s great (albeit a tad pricey, I agree) if you don’t have a ST and want to build points to be able to purchase one in future.

if you just want to go to one or two games per year treating your family/kids to the occasional game it is extortion and I agree somewhat. Makes the whole experience even more expensive as you don’t get Gen Sale down the KP ever any more.