Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

2 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Not once the ref has blown up so really they should have waited as happened last season .

But then people complained about "late flagging". As I said, damned if you do, damned if you don't

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

The corruption comes when VAR opts to suggest the referee to go and take a look at the monitor for decisions that will then favour the big 6. 

Oh my goodness... Surely that wouldn't happen would it ?

The league is designed around the "Big Six"..... Chelsea can spend close to 300 million and still be FFP compliant but Leicester are in trouble. !!

1 minute ago, gurru991 said:

The league is designed around the "Big Six"..... Chelsea can spend close to 300 million and still be FFP compliant but Leicester are in trouble. !!

FFP for LCFC has been absolved:

Leicester City have escaped sanctions under UEFA financial fair play rules but warned that they will be "monitored closely" in future.

The Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) First Chamber have analysed the financial affairs of all clubs that participated in the 2021/22 UEFA competitions. They concluded that the Foxes were compliant with the regulations because of "exceptional COVID deductions and consideration of historical financial results".

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

FFP for LCFC has been absolved:

Leicester City have escaped sanctions under UEFA financial fair play rules but warned that they will be "monitored closely" in future.

The Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) First Chamber have analysed the financial affairs of all clubs that participated in the 2021/22 UEFA competitions. They concluded that the Foxes were compliant with the regulations because of "exceptional COVID deductions and consideration of historical financial results".

I realize that but was commenting on the disparity in the league when it comes to spending.

39 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

Watching other teams play I can’t help noticing they seem to play with more aggression and urgency,

even the shit teams.

We are almost certainly the slowest and most pedestrian team in the league this year. To the naked eye I've not seen anything like it for a while in the prem

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

Watching other teams play I can’t help noticing they seem to play with more aggression and urgency,

even the shit teams.

This is what concerns me. We're genuinely the slowest and least hardworking team I've seen all season. We look way off it. As you say, even the shit teams are scrapping, we don't even do that. We thoroughly deserve to be 20th.

Edited by Tielemans63
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

ESPN have compiled a league table of who benefited most from VAR last season.  

For some reason the link doesn't seem to copy here, I'm probably incompetent.  It's easy enough to Google.

Liverpool are top. But it's then West Ham.  Followed by Brentford and Arsenal (equal). Then Southampton and Man City equal.  Then Watford.  All looks fairly innocuous. 

Overall the evidence this presents does not suggest a conspiracy.  

If it’s the table I’m thinking of, what it does is it tells you who benefited from decisions changed because of VAR.

What it doesn’t do is tell you who has benefited from decisions that haven’t been changed by VAR when everyone can see that they should have been. Case in point van Dijk today - clear red card which should have overturned the referee’s decision but didn’t. 

That’s not to say there’s some grand conspiracy, but that table is almost entirely worthless in measuring the bias or otherwise of VAR.

Edited by ttfn

42 minutes ago, Parafox said:

That's a ridiculous rule.

I thought VAR was there to check for the clear and obvious error. Surely that incident is exactly that.

we are having var interfering with refs decisions where it’s simply not a clear and obvious error.  You can make a judgment whether Bowen dragged his foot across mendy but it’s probably going to be less than 30% of people who feel that’s any kind of foul by Bowen - granted he could lift his back foot but why should he - mendy collides with him - it’s the old ‘inevitable collision’. If the ref decides after the ball has gone in that it’s a foul (as he did with Barnes last week) then you could make a case that it’s not an obvious error so no overturn. But for the var to interfere with any call on that is bizarre. And the ref has to show enough bottle to say (after viewing the replay) that it’s not a clear anything so he’ll stick with the on field decision.

I’ve just seen the newcastle disallowed goal too - that’s simple incompetence from the var not to see the push on willock which causes the collision with the keeper. In this case the on field ref is hung out to dry by the var because I’m sure the only angle he’s shown by the var doesn’t show the push 

40 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

VAR is a failed experiment. It's taken away more than it's brought, as predicted.

They’ve messed around and messed around 

just take it back to howlers - not opinions and re refereeing - what do you think - dunno - what about you  ? And trips not seen - so what ? The ref missed it 

we only want the Henry handball type incidents to be intervened on 

I can accept offside - especially as we will soon have the ‘immediate’ calls via the semi automated var involvement where the lino will be told straight away whether to flag or not after the goal goes in. 

43 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Go on then...? The rest.

I don't buy the FA/referee cult conspiracy to favour the top teams. We just don't have the officials with the quality to get 95% of decisions correct. I think the quality of the training of FA refs is a root of the problem

Well Chelsea today and last weekend and that’s without trying to think too hard.

53 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

ESPN have compiled a league table of who benefited most from VAR last season.  

For some reason the link doesn't seem to copy here, I'm probably incompetent.  It's easy enough to Google.

Liverpool are top. But it's then West Ham.  Followed by Brentford and Arsenal (equal). Then Southampton and Man City equal.  Then Watford.  All looks fairly innocuous. 

Overall the evidence this presents does not suggest a conspiracy.  

Its called confirmation bias, we notice the things that seem to confirm what we believe and dont notice/discount the things that plainly contradict our beliefs.

However...

There is little doubt based on the evidence of groans and rolling eyes that VAR is almost universally hated and is ruining our beautiful spontanious game.

However²...

The hatred of it is in inverse proportion to the chances of it being discontinued any time this century.

Edited by J. James
Additions
  • Like 1

Guest Col city fan

Did Forest end up losing to Bournemouth?

However good that feels, it’s probs not a good thing for our league position 

24 minutes ago, ttfn said:

If it’s the table I’m thinking of, what it does is it tells you who benefited from decisions changed because of VAR.

What it doesn’t do is tell you who has benefited from decisions that haven’t been changed by VAR when everyone can see that they should have been. Case in point van Dijk today - clear red card which should have overturned the referee’s decision but didn’t. 

That’s not to say there’s some grand conspiracy, but that table is almost entirely worthless in measuring the bias or otherwise of VAR.

Fair enough, didn't appreciate that.  I don't think it makes the table worthless but definitely less useful.  There is unfortunately always a degree of subjectivity about most decisions bar the absolute howlers.  Of which there are definitely still too many.  

Until someone presents me with evidence there is a clear bias though I'm not buying some conspiracy, unconscious bias perhaps.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

People always remember the big teams favourable (or in their eyes favourable) decisions because they want to believe there's a bias and because often those decisions at the 'big' teams receive much more coverage.  

I think that's always the concern isn't it?  

I'm the first to shout foul play when a decision goes against us but is it just my innate bias?

Same as I pretty much always think the refs had a shocker in our games and not in our favour.  But in reality it just cannot be the case...

57 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

4 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Fair enough, didn't appreciate that.  I don't think it makes the table worthless but definitely less useful.  There is unfortunately always a degree of subjectivity about most decisions bar the absolute howlers.  Of which there are definitely still too many.  

Until someone presents me with evidence there is a clear bias though I'm not buying some conspiracy, unconscious bias perhaps.  

5 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

You have to forget it’s a sport, it’s a £ billion worldwide business which requires the major brands (top 6) to keep their status. There is no financial value for the Premier League today to have Nottingham Forest, Brentford etc in their showcase. Unfortunately like several major businesses there is corruption. Why should the PM be any different ?

• Like 1

Whilst the whistle might have been frustrating as it was clearly the wrong call, nobody seems to think the fact Mahrez pulled out of challenging Coutinho and the fact the shot deflected off of Stones's face while he had obviously heard the whistle and was just meandering about as well as Ederson not even really attempting to save it have a bearing? Seems that the pundits and a few on here are saying they've been denied a legit goal without recognising that everybody bar Coutinho stopped playing at the whistle.

The linesman has clearly denied an opportunity but not a definite goal.