Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

11 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

You have to forget it’s a sport, it’s a £ billion worldwide business which requires the major brands (top 6) to keep their status. There is no financial value for the Premier League today to have Nottingham Forest, Brentford etc in their showcase. Unfortunately like several major businesses there is corruption. Why should the PM be any different ?

Oh the flip side damaging the integrity of the league by appearing to be too biased in favour of big teams will surely not help the brand?  

Likewise, when we won the league I am sure that generated immense interest around the world in the Prem.  

I do believe the big clubs are going to be lobbying the Premier League and UEFA incessantly on lots of issues (FFP for example).  But to systematically enable decisions in favour of big clubs on the pitch, and for that to come down from the top l, would require immense organisation and secrecy, with leaks possible at every level.  I'm not saying it is impossible but I think it's extraordinarily unlikely..  

Hopefully someone somewhere will or has compiled some decent data about suspect decisions and big teams.   

I still think it's more likely an unconscious bias or pressure felt by refs.  This is exactly why managers are always gobbing off about referees. Keep the pressure on.

Edited by Bordersfox
  • Like 1

What gets to me about fouls like the one on Mendy is that he could come out, clatter an opponent and if he gets a touch on the ball it isn't seen as a foul ie Ederson on Iheanacho two years ago. 

Yet a minimal touch or some form of contact us usually a foul on the keeper.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

That horrendous Villa decision is on the linesman flagging early AND the ref whistling. Not much to do with VAR

Yet there will be another occasion where this happens this season, probably in the next few weeks where VAR will get involved and the decision overturned.

22 minutes ago, Corky said:

What gets to me about fouls like the one on Mendy is that he could come out, clatter an opponent and if he gets a touch on the ball it isn't seen as a foul ie Ederson on Iheanacho two years ago. 

Yet a minimal touch or some form of contact us usually a foul on the keeper.

How mendy has got away with the Barnes and Bowen ‘fouls’ and lcfc West Ham goals is ****ing mental. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

ESPN have compiled a league table of who benefited most from VAR last season.  

For some reason the link doesn't seem to copy here, I'm probably incompetent.  It's easy enough to Google.

Liverpool are top. But it's then West Ham.  Followed by Brentford and Arsenal (equal). Then Southampton and Man City equal.  Then Watford.  All looks fairly innocuous. 

Overall the evidence this presents does not suggest a conspiracy.  

This sort of stat never takes into account a lot of things though. Say we should have had a penalty, it doesn’t get checked by VAR, or it gets checked but still not given, it wouldn’t even go onto the stats. If we get given one we should have had, but it goes to VAR, does this class as a decision in our favour? Don’t think so cuz the ref has already given it. 

Every week we see easy decisions going the opposite way and in favour of the big 6. 

• Like 2

Still can't believe those 2 howlers of decisions today. 

West Ham and Villa should and will be rightly livid. 

But no one can speak out against the refs for fear of getting fined. 

It's a shambles the game has come to this. 

Chelsea have been favoured twice in a week. Man City favoured today. 

Not to mention VAR not even giving a shit about Van Dijk's studs challenge on Onana's shin. Liverpool favoured. Standard. 

Referees gonna be confused as to who to favour tomorrow between Man Utd and Arsenal... 

• Like 3

I don’t get the outcry for the Villa goal cos it’s just a mistake. You can’t moan about VAR and it’s existence than moan about a linesmen making an error. 

Equally I don’t think Coutinho scores if the flag stays down. 

The West Ham decision is beyond baffling poor and I understand Newcastle today as well is as bad. Both instances where the replays prove something but they go against it 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 4

Let's not forget there were some terrible decisions in matches not involving top six clubs today particularly the Leeds game.  Is that a conspiracy to assist Brentford?  I think not.

The refereeing even with VAR is frankly appalling much of the time, I am sure those decisions that favour the big 6 are remembered more than the other howlers.  

Guest Col city fan

Just watching MOTD now

I cannot believe the West Ham disallowed goal.

Thats where VAR stinks the fookin place out.

Still can’t stand VAR.. it’s ruining the game because of how it’s being used. It’s not VAR tbf. It’s the shit refs watching it and STILL making horrendous decisions 

Edited by Col city fan

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Just watching MOTD now

I cannot believe the West Ham disallowed goal.

Thats where VAR stinks the fookin place out.

Still can’t stand VAR.. it’s ruining the game because of how it’s being used. It’s not VAR tbf. It’s the shit refs watching it and STILL making horrendous decisions 

Absolutely shambolic.  You could see how furious Shearer was.  It's nowhere near good enough.  Nowhere near. 

Guest Col city fan
15 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Absolutely shambolic.  You could see how furious Shearer was.  It's nowhere near good enough.  Nowhere near. 

It’s down to some over zealous tosser of a ref, sat on his arse, looking at VAR and getting involved in the decisions when he absolutely shouldn’t do. 
That’s not what it was brought in for.

Disgusting decision 

7 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s down to some over zealous tosser of a ref, sat on his arse, looking at VAR and getting involved in the decisions when he absolutely shouldn’t do. 

Disgusting decision 

The thing with VAR is, if you want to see something, you’ll be able to find an angle to see it. There’s an element of confirmation bias to it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Disgusting decision 

The problem is, if you create a job for someone (VAR ref) then it’s human nature they are going to want to get involved. No one wants a job where they have to do nothing,  right?  It’s an odd position where you should be incentivised for not interfering. But that’s not how our brains work. If you have a job to do, you want to get involved.

Personally I’m all for binning it. But I do wonder if offering a number of ‘challenges’ like they do in cricket and tennis would work. Probably creat too much theatre and backfire? Those sports don’t have subjective moments like fouls, handballs and fingertip offsides etc.   

Guest Col city fan
3 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

The problem is, if you create a job for someone (VAR ref) then it’s human nature they are going to want to get involved. No one wants a job where they have to do nothing,  right?  It’s an odd position where you should be incentivised for not interfering. But that’s not how our brains work. If you have a job to do, you want to get involved.

Personally I’m all for binning it. But I do wonder if offering a number of ‘challenges’ like they do in cricket and tennis would work. Probably creat too much theatre and backfire? Those sports don’t have subjective moments like fouls, handballs and fingertip offsides etc.   

They won’t bin it now. I’d love it binned. I hate it.

You just can’t celebrate a goal anymore, so much seems to go to VAR

Fook it 

Edited by Col city fan

6 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Yeah exactly that, it's usually relatively clear cut in cricket.  Also cricket generally has a very different rhythm so it's simply not as disruptive to wait for decisions.  

Dunno about the job thing though, there are a number of occasions every week I wish I had to do nothing :ph34r:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Maybe but they’d probably use them up after 5 minutes knowing some teams and managers !

9 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Maybe but they’d probably use them up after 5 minutes knowing some teams and managers !

I actually think that would be fine. It would mean refs and linesmen would do the job how they used to, and challenges only used if a team thought something was wrong. If you used them up in 5 mins then fool you. It wouldn’t solve the underlying issue though. I loved the europa conference league last year when there was no VAR. Jut get  rid. 

• Like 1

Once you realise everything is rigged against the majority to benefit the few, it's easier to understand what's happening. Just like everything in life, the powers that be only want you to be able to do so well, the system is set up so you hit a ceiling. You have to be in the elite, or have contacts or power to break the ceiling. It's the same in football as it is in life, the people at the top don't want the little guys competing above their station. The job is to make sure the brand comes above all else, at all costs. The league has to be the big six competing, that's where the global audience is, that's where the money is. 

Football at PL level is as corrupt as everything else has been shown to be corrupt recently. 

I simply cannot see how decisions like those given today can be anything other than corruption. Teams are having goals disallowed when clear evidence exists that they were perfectly ok goals. 

Tin foil hat, maybe, whatever. Starts to become undeniable that football is tainted by the same corruption that has taken over everything else. Late stage capitalism folks, what a time to be alive. Money, money, money, greed, greed, greed.

• Like 2