Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

6 hours ago, Flappit said:

I would like to see how Dyche would reinvigorate Vardy. Think there could be a resurgence with a blood and thunder style that suits Vardy more than the passive aggressive nonsense that Rodgers serves up! 

Which strikers had he “reinvigorated”? Dyche is a terrible shout.

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Just watching MOTD now

I cannot believe the West Ham disallowed goal.

Thats where VAR stinks the fookin place out.

Still can’t stand VAR.. it’s ruining the game because of how it’s being used. It’s not VAR tbf. It’s the shit refs watching it and STILL making horrendous decisions 

Why do people keep saying it’s not Var it’s the referee watching, when the referee watching is the major part of Var as in video assistant referee. Do you want the video to decide? That’s some AI  not available yet. 

56 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

Why do people keep saying it’s not Var it’s the referee watching, when the referee watching is the major part of Var as in video assistant referee. Do you want the video to decide? That’s some AI  not available yet. 

Yes, I can't understand also why people are referring to VAR like it's an AI or some alien from Andromeda. It's a slow motion replay technology run by the same incompetent refs. You can't blame the replay, it's the same slow motion replay we were shown before the implementation of it as a "rule", a bit more advanced. 

I'm not against VAR, I'm against the clowns that are using it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elvisfmcfly said:

That was the worst decision I think I have seen , what did the west ham player do wrong he jump over the keeper , if that had been a lower grade team that would have been a goal , top sides get away with murder 

5 hours ago, StanSP said:

Still can't believe those 2 howlers of decisions today. 

West Ham and Villa should and will be rightly livid. 

But no one can speak out against the refs for fear of getting fined. 

It's a shambles the game has come to this. 

Chelsea have been favoured twice in a week. Man City favoured today. 

Not to mention VAR not even giving a shit about Van Dijk's studs challenge on Onana's shin. Liverpool favoured. Standard. 

Referees gonna be confused as to who to favour tomorrow between Man Utd and Arsenal... 

Man united at home.....man utd will get favoured because it keeps the top 6 race exciting and liverpool.within reach.  Arsenal will lose. Fuk them both though!

4 hours ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Yes, I can't understand also why people are referring to VAR like it's an AI or some alien from Andromeda. It's a slow motion replay technology run by the same incompetent refs. You can't blame the replay, it's the same slow motion replay we were shown before the implementation of it as a "rule", a bit more advanced. 

I'm not against VAR, I'm against the clowns that are using it. 

But the clowns using it is VAR. That’s what VAR is,the clown watching the video and then deciding. The referee isn’t watching VAR he’s part of the package.

Whilst I don't agree with the Villa goal being disallowed and it's a monumental **** up by the officials, hopefully that goal being disallowed could be looked back at the end of the season and send Villa down.

Let's not forgot Villa should have gone down a couple of years ago due to a goal not being given for Sheff Utd that should because Goal Line Technology wasn't working correctly.

Just a shame Man City have benefitted from it this time.

Call me naive but I don't think referees go out intentionally to favour anyone but maybe subconsciously it's in their head. Whether that be the intimidation from the big 6 managers, fear of abuse, particularly online, if you go against a worldwide fanbase etc 

Or maybe it's just match fixing. 

Like someone has said, there are poor decisions made up and down the country with nothing to do with the elite. 

Getting wrong with no VAR is annoying but at least you can argue it's a mistake but getting it wrong with the use of technology shows a lack of understanding of football and obsession with rules. 

The media and fans have created this obsession with being right that it's made it worse. 

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Call me naive but I don't think referees go out intentionally to favour anyone but maybe subconsciously it's in their head. Whether that be the intimidation from the big 6 managers, fear of abuse, particularly online, if you go against a worldwide fanbase etc 

Like someone has said, there are poor decisions made up and down the country with nothing to do with the elite. 

Getting wrong with no VAR is annoying but at least you can argue it's a mistake but getting it wrong with the use of technology shows a lack of understanding of football and obsession with rules. 

The media and fans have created this obsession with being right that it's made it worse. 

Unless its Jon Moss and its leicester

27 minutes ago, Matt said:

Whilst I don't agree with the Villa goal being disallowed and it's a monumental **** up by the officials, hopefully that goal being disallowed could be looked back at the end of the season and send Villa down.

Let's not forgot Villa should have gone down a couple of years ago due to a goal not being given for Sheff Utd that should because Goal Line Technology wasn't working correctly.

Just a shame Man City have benefitted from it this time.

Are there any teams you don’t dislike lol 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Are there any teams you don’t dislike lol 

Bristol City?

In seriousness though, on a Leicester forum I don't think its unusual to see someone not liking Villa?

As a football fan I don't think it unusual to see someone not liking Man City? Certainly how they go about their business. 

Edited by Matt

6 hours ago, elvisfmcfly said:

I can't speak for Col but I've said similar myself before and what I've meant was, the technology is great, "VAR" as a concept is great, I'll nearly always defend it as an idea.

Unfortunately it's implementation by the Premier League has been nothing short of diabolical. 

At best, it's been extremely poorly handled by PGMOL, the Premier League and the FA who collectively can't decide how much influence VAR should or shouldn't have and treat the central referee like some sort of infallible high authority who shouldn't be over ruled. 

At worst, instead of being used to make the game objectively fairer and put extra checks in to ward off corruption and make sure the correct decisions are reached it appears to be being used as an additional layer of shithousery to protect the Rich Six and make sure the most economically preferable outcomes occur for the Premier and Champions Leagues. 

How true any of those perceptions are influences what we should and shouldn't do about VAR. 

If it's the former, we shouldn't scrap VAR we should be looking to refine it. Go out and properly do studies of sports that have been using technology for a decade or more now and actually look at what works. Whilst rugby TMOs aren't without criticism, the use of video in rugby is significantly better than in football and there's lessons there as well as in cricket. 

And if it's the latter, well, we've got far bigger problems than VAR.

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, trugerkem said:

I thought Harry Kane was offside for his goal … he was offside when the player shot goalie saved it rebounded to Harry Kane who put it in 2 yards out …. How isn’t that offside 

the lines drawn showed that Kane was behind the ball when it was struck 

6 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

For those slagging off Southampton earlier this season for the signing of City youngsters it could’ve all ready paid dividends, had Southampton not rejected 50m from Chelsea for Lavia, months after buying him for 12m plus add ons.

I think you’ll find that Man City have first dibs on all those players sold to soton.  The buy backs are a fairly decent profit for soton but I guess if the player goes onto blossom then £40m buyback on a player sold for £12m is good for Southampton and Man City won’t care about spaffing an additional 28m on a player who is clearly v good indeed and who has been developed at a much faster pace than would be possible at  the etihaad 

If soton had sold Lavia this quickly for 50m then Man City would have needed to agree to the move by refusing to invoke their buyback clause. and it would have been a pretty quick end to a mechanism that will be repeated over the next few windows between the two clubs. 

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

Bristol City?

In seriousness though, on a Leicester forum I don't think its unusual to see someone not liking Villa?

As a football fan I don't think it unusual to see someone not liking Man City?

Yeah fair play about Bristol City. I get the Villa thing too.

Re VAR 

The basic point being missed here is that it is not supposed to be re refereeing the incidents 

it is there for CLEAR and OBVIOUS errors 

not for a debate on whether it is/isn’t a foul. If it’s clear and obvious then the review will take seconds - the length of time these checks are taking tells us immediately that it is neither clear nor obvious. slowing down video replays to show tiny bits of contact is just ridiculous.  Someone commented earlier on confirmation bias - absolutely and many of us pointed this out at the introduction of var. 

involvement of the var with on field decisions should only happen if it’s a howler of a call.  Let the refs make decisions - contentious ones. It’s not a problem. Many will be on balance of review to be wrong but that’s not a reason to change them. The idea that var is there to get the calls right is where we are going wrong. It isn’t. it’s there to correct 100% wrong on field decisions. And that’s a very high bar. 

the West Ham and newcastle goals were given in real time. They are contentious decisions because the opposition will argue that it should be a free kick. Had the ref given a free kick (as with Barnes last week), then again, there is no reason to reverse them because giving a free kick is not a 100% howler.  Let the on field decisions stand. 

we would be way better just having var for offsides and handball goals. (And even then they can’t be relied upon for that - see arsenal v Fulham). If a referee feels that they haven’t seen a big incident clearly then they should be allowed to decide to review the incident on screen. No var involvement. 

to be in a place where the var is making as many bad calls as referees did before var means we have lost out as fans for no benefit. 

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Oh come on. Two honking calls yesterday from refs/VAR and they just so happened to hand points to Man City and Chelsea? 

So much has been brought in to defend the money clubs, 5 subs, VAR, FFP changes, it's right in front of our faces!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Watched the Mendy one again and I'm still incredulous. He's on the floor, Bowen already running and Mendy has blatantly feigned injury knowing he's fvcked up. 

Insane. 

Indeed.

Bowen actually clips his arm around his elbow and then the keeper clutches his shoulder.  While he's on the deck he then starts clutching his upper chest.  

It needs one replay to see he is play acting.  Clear for all to see.  Yet the only clear outcome here is further big 6 bias.

9 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Indeed.

Bowen actually clips his arm around his elbow and then the keeper clutches his shoulder.  While he's on the deck he then starts clutching his upper chest.  

It needs one replay to see he is play acting.  Clear for all to see.  Yet the only clear outcome here is further big 6 bias.

He should be banned. He feigns injury as soon as he realises Cornet is getting to the ball. It’s cheating 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

the lines drawn showed that Kane was behind the ball when it was struck 

I think you’ll find that Man City have first dibs on all those players sold to soton.  The buy backs are a fairly decent profit for soton but I guess if the player goes onto blossom then £40m buyback on a player sold for £12m is good for Southampton and Man City won’t care about spaffing an additional 28m on a player who is clearly v good indeed and who has been developed at a much faster pace than would be possible at  the etihaad 

If soton had sold Lavia this quickly for 50m then Man City would have needed to agree to the move by refusing to invoke their buyback clause. and it would have been a pretty quick end to a mechanism that will be repeated over the next few windows between the two clubs. 

So the point still stands

29m in profit in 3 months on a player if Man City activated the buy back. Or 39m if they chose not to and the Chelsea bid was accepted.

They basically have a £50m rated youngster brought in for 11m just months ago.

Thats just one of the 4 talented youngsters they brought from City.

As a business model they are clearly heading in the right direction Bella-Kotchap also earning rave reviews early on at 20 years old and £9m.

Why we are left with players brought in last season, that no one wants.