Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

5 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

This is all a bit depressing for the competitiveness of the league. Chelsea just able to swoop in and take the manager of a non-Greedy 6 PL club (who are doing brilliantly) at the drop of a hat, whilst writing off Tuchel's compensation as a mere inconvenience. How do clubs outside this cartel ever compete with this? 

Ages ago really they should have banned managers moving whilst in contract or at least during a season.

Also to protect against a manager resigning then immediately joining a new club require a period of time after a manager resignation such as 12 months.

Even if they bin Potter, they have now likely ruined Brighton's season who were potentially competing against Chelsea for a Europe spot.

Edited by Chrysalis

Yeh I reckon all sporting fixtures will be postponed. This is quite massive news the queen passing. Seeing golf and other events kick it off today is a sign others will follow willingly or reluctantly. Oh well… Rogers and Gerrard will be relieved they have a stay of execution for now

4 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Yeh I reckon all sporting fixtures will be postponed. This is quite massive news the queen passing. Seeing golf and other events kick it off today is a sign others will follow willingly or reluctantly. Oh well… Rogers and Gerrard will be relieved they have a stay of execution for now

Yes - this weekend will be off then carry on as normal depending on when the funeral is. 

11 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Yes - this weekend will be off then carry on as normal depending on when the funeral is. 

It's being reported that all international fixtures for British teams will also be postponed next week which I think it's absolutely bonkers. I can understand (a bit, I still find it quite strange) postponing this weekend's fixtures but it doesn't make any sense to me doing it for the European cups. 

6 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

This is all a bit depressing for the competitiveness of the league. Chelsea just able to swoop in and take the manager of a non-Greedy 6 PL club (who are doing brilliantly) at the drop of a hat, whilst writing off Tuchel's compensation as a mere inconvenience. How do clubs outside this cartel ever compete with this? 

When was the last time a PL club poached a manager mid season? I maybe wrongly thought there was a gentleman's agreement between clubs this wouldn't happen. 

5 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Ages ago really they should have banned managers moving whilst in contract or at least during a season.

Also to protect against a manager resigning then immediately joining a new club require a period of time after a manager resignation such as 12 months.

Even if they bin Potter, they have now likely ruined Brighton's season who were potentially competing against Chelsea for a Europe spot.

Employment law would supersede that. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

When was the last time a PL club poached a manager mid season? I maybe wrongly thought there was a gentleman's agreement between clubs this wouldn't happen. 

Sam Allardyce in 2007 I think. Although he resigned from Bolton, then joined Newcastle 14 days later. 

Redknapp did something similar in 2004. Portsmouth to Southamtpon. 

The last transfer in season I can see is Glenn Hoddle from Southampton to Tottenham in 2001.

Surprisingly, not as many as you’d think. Potter going to Chelsea in this fashion is actually quite unique. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sly said:

Before that, you’re actually looking at Brian Little in 1994! 

So maybe 3 times in the Premier League era. 

Eh? There’s been loads. Redknapp Portsmouth to Tottenham, Coyle Burnley to Bolton, Pardew Newcastle to Palace, Bruce Birmingham to Wigan, Souness Blackburn to Newcastle, Walker Norwich to Everton, Graham Leeds to Spurs.

All mid season

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Eh? There’s been loads. Redknapp Portsmouth to Tottenham, Coyle Burnley to Bolton, Pardew Newcastle to Palace, Bruce Birmingham to Wigan, Souness Blackburn to Newcastle, Walker Norwich to Everton, Graham Leeds to Spurs.

All mid season

No idea what I was reading then 😂 

8 hours ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

It's being reported that all international fixtures for British teams will also be postponed next week which I think it's absolutely bonkers. I can understand (a bit, I still find it quite strange) postponing this weekend's fixtures but it doesn't make any sense to me doing it for the European cups. 

They won’t get that through. UEFA would literally dock them points. 

9 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

There’s no way that wouldn’t break labour laws and be illegal.

Very much doubt you can say by law “you’re banned from a profession because you resigned from a company”

4 hours ago, Sly said:

Sam Allardyce in 2007 I think. Although he resigned from Bolton, then joined Newcastle 14 days later. 

Redknapp did something similar in 2004. Portsmouth to Southamtpon. 

The last transfer in season I can see is Glenn Hoddle from Southampton to Tottenham in 2001.

Surprisingly, not as many as you’d think. Potter going to Chelsea in this fashion is actually quite unique. 

The Redknapp one was unbelivable. Leave for your fiercest rivals, get relegated, rejoin Portsmouth lol

Also, off the top of my head, didn't Owen Coyle move mid season? Just while I'm thinking of rivalries. Burnley to Bolton.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sly said:

Employment law would supersede that. 

This is half the truth. The sport of football operates under a different regulator body which can overlook specific employment laws by setting its own rules. Isn't it against employment law for players not to be able to move to another employer whenever they want? It is. 

That said, a rule that managers can only move to another football club in only 2 windows if they're already contracted it won't be against the general employment law. 

Edited by Fear Of The Fox

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

There’s no way that wouldn’t break labour laws and be illegal.

Very much doubt you can say by law “you’re banned from a profession because you resigned from a company”

Actually you can, for a “reasonable” period of time. Many senior staff contracts have non-compete clauses in them, whereby you’re not allowed to go and work for a competitor for a period after leaving, 3 to 6 months is generally acceptable for very senior staff, especially if reasonable compensation is paid (ie there’s no risk of economic hardship as a result).  Longer than that is generally challengeable. But that’d be long enough to prevent mid season poachings. 

I think it is absolutely baffling, utterly terrifying that you want to deny people their right to move jobs?

If someone offers you twice your salary, the opportunity to work with better players in a glitzy city, the potential to implement your successful structure and ideas as another club for more money, why the hell should Potter be stopped until summer 2023?

So what if it stuffs Brighton? You're in a privatised free market, deal with the consequences. You live and die by the pound. Don't throttle human beings from being able to ply their trade where they want, for the maximum salary they can get, just to try and make Brighton good for an extra season.

I know this has a knock on for the big clubs being able to flex their muscles and financial might but I'm thinking from the human angle here and letting people be employed, and take up employment opportunities that they want to.

I'm sure if we we'd have been able to get Potter you wouldn't quite be so willing to curb his employment rights.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I think it is absolutely baffling, utterly terrifying that you want to deny people their right to move jobs?

If someone offers you twice your salary, the opportunity to work with better players in a glitzy city, the potential to implement your successful structure and ideas as another club for more money, why the hell should Potter be stopped until summer 2023?

So what if it stuffs Brighton? You're in a privatised free market, deal with the consequences. You live and die by the pound. Don't throttle human beings from being able to ply their trade where they want, for the maximum salary they can get, just to try and make Brighton good for an extra season.

I know this has a knock on for the big clubs being able to flex their muscles and financial might but I'm thinking from the human angle here and letting people be employed, and take up employment opportunities that they want to.

I'm sure if we we'd have been able to get Potter you wouldn't quite be so willing to curb his employment rights.

Nobody is denying people to move jobs. You can't compare football jobs to "normal" people jobs. As I posted earlier it's a sport with certain rules set by  European/Global and domestic organisations. These are under a "shadow" inspection by governments but the latter can't interfere directly under the rules of FIFA and UEFA. 

Edited by Fear Of The Fox