Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

10 hours ago, StanSP said:

They messed up for sure. I reckon they thought other sporting organisations would cancel/postpone too. Then they showed themselves up being the only ones to postpone.

I reckon had they not postponed last week, it'd given them more scope to postpone this weekend.

The Police requirements are the difference.  Hardly any for crowd management at the Rugby, horse racing.  Football has made itself the golden goose of weekend revenue raising for the police, and they are not going to back away from the requirements they set when they cannot supply the numbers.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Corky said:

Why does the amount of European matches scheduled never get properly scrutinised when discussing fixture congestion? 13 matches to win the Champions League, 13 or 15 depending on your route in the other two.

Utter madness. Europe is a far bigger hindrance than the domestic cups.

Yep and that's the competition which has expanded the most in most football fans lifetimes. Of course its going bigger again as well 

Brighton going abit left field in their manager search, their board are to interview Bodo/Glimt coach Kjetil Knutsen, Shakhtar Donetsk manager Roberto De Zerbi and Lens Coach Franck Haise. 

Seems whey are willing to come to Brighton if they are going there to be interviewed.

I thought they would probably have gone for the Ipswich manager who everyone is raving about.... Kieran McKenna  because he doing wonders at Ipswich.

When eventually we start our search it'll probably be the usual ex EPL managers like Rafa or the board will think there onto a winner by trying to get Poch

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Brighton going abit left field in their manager search, their board are to interview Bodo/Glimt coach Kjetil Knutsen, Shakhtar Donetsk manager Roberto De Zerbi and Lens Coach Franck Haise. 

Seems whey are willing to come to Brighton if they are going there to be interviewed.

I thought they would probably have gone for the Ipswich manager who everyone is raving about.... Kieran McKenna  because he doing wonders at Ipswich.

When eventually we start our search it'll probably be the usual ex EPL managers like Rafa or the board will think there onto a winner by trying to get Poch

i keep seeing his name pop up, but i don’t understand.  Ipswich have outspent everyone in that league for about 3 years running, they were heavily underachieving and are now finally where they should be. 

Not doing anything more that what should be expected imo. he’s not exactly dragged a shrewsbury to the top 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Could write a massive post about the many reasons why it wouldnt work but there are that many that I cant be arsed.

Its a game of football with about 40 people on the pitch and bench, in a stadium which is used to hosting football, broadcast on TV.  Of course it would work.  Whether fans in the UK were particularly interested would be irrelevant.  Offer the clubs enough cash and they would free up their players.

1 hour ago, TK95 said:

A greedy 6 sports day? No thanks

We get enough of that with the national team

would much rather a world 11 match. balon dor winner and the runner up as captains, they can pick 1 player from each division 

there was a charity game back in the day with a europe 11 vs the rest of the world that had becks and ronaldininiho and all the best players and it was amazing I think it ended 6-5 and was on channel 5 . i don’t think clubs would allow their best players to join something like this these days. It would be typical that we’d have vardy break a leg or something 

Edited by Lambert09

7 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Its a game of football with about 40 people on the pitch and bench, in a stadium which is used to hosting football, broadcast on TV.  Of course it would work.  Whether fans in the UK were particularly interested would be irrelevant.  Offer the clubs enough cash and they would free up their players.

And what happens when one of those players gets injured?

Unlike in other sports, we have the huge transfer fees in football, each player that would play in those sort of games would be a £50 million pound + asset to their club.

Then there’s the case of where you put that fixture?

you couldn’t have it mid season - way too much money in the game to allow players an extra meaningless game.

End of the season every two years is a continental tournament or World Cup.

There are so many more reasons why it wouldn’t ever work in football

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Money is ruining our game. Money will eventually destroy what we love. This is the way. 

I just watched him  on TV talking about this and all he was coming up with was more money for the pyramid lol yeah that would work it would be an upside down one where the rich 6 are the base at the top and the likes of Bournemouth at the bottom.

And what would they do with this money, pay bigger transfers fees, pay players more, pocket more themselves. Fans would get no benefits from it.

Never mind pyramid this is just a step towards Americanising football, ironically without the more level playing field that Americans have in many of their sports.

10 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

He makes a fair point, businessmen should be looking for opportunities to make profit with the resources under their control. This is how businesses are objectively supposed to function. Here's another idea, set this fat yankee sack of shite in some stocks and charge a tenner for football fans to throw crap at his stupid, fat head. You'd make a killing.

• Haha 1

The Merc twisting a story to make it seem like we're in the same financial and status league as Man City, I sincerely hope we don't go down this route, not that I think we have the money for it.

This will just give Chelsea more control over their loanees.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-chelsea-king-power-leuven-7582678

Chelsea owner Todd Boehly wants to follow Leicester City vision
Latest Leicester City news from LeicestershireLive brings you how Todd Boehly wants to build the same setup that Man City, the Foxes and others have

JW

New Chelsea owner Todd Boehly has shared his ambitions to form a multi-club model at Stamford Bridge, replicating the structure the King Power Group has developed at Leicester City.

The American businessman took over at Stamford Bridge over the summer, succeeding Roman Abramovich after 19 years at the club. Boehly's first summer saw around £300 million spent on reinforcements in the transfer window and incurred further expenses to swap Thomas Tuchel with Graham Potter.

In his first interview following the appointment of Potter, the 48 year-old has spoken about his desire to build a multi-club model at the club to build the right platform for the younger players breaking through the academy.

"We're going to be continuously adding resources. We've been talking about having a multi-club model. I would love to continue to build out the footprint," he told the SALT Conference.

"There's different countries where there's advantages to having a club. Red Bull do a really good job, they've got Leipzig and Salzburg playing in the Champions League. They've figured out how to make that work.

"You have Man City, which has a very big network of clubs. One of the challenges that Chelsea have right now is when you have 18,19,20 year-old superstars, you can loan them out to other clubs, but you put their development into somebody else's hands.

"Our goal is to make sure we can show pathways for our young superstars to get on to the Chelsea pitch, while getting them real game time. To me, the way to do that is through another club in a really competitive league in Europe.

It's a similar model that many have implemented at their clubs, including City. In 2017, the King Power International Group purchased Belgian second division side OH Leuven to join the Foxes as their represented clubs.

Since the takeover, Leuven have earned promotion to the Pro League A and established themselves as a top division side. In the opening years of the partnership, City used Leuven as a feeder club to send players out on loan.

Bartosz Kapustka was the first in 2017 and the Polish winger made 21 appearances throughout the season. Former City players Filip Benkovic, Daniel Iversen, Josh Eppiah and Andy King have all also featured for Leuven.

City striker George Hirst joined the club from Leuven back in 2019 after struggling to strike a deal with Sheffield Wednesday beforehand.

Just now, AjcW said:

Wonder what the odds are on a team having to play two games in two days this season. Must be narrowing by the minute! 

It wont be one of the Rich 6 not if they get their moans in early.

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

The Merc twisting a story to make it seem like we're in the same financial and status league as Man City, I sincerely hope we don't go down this route, not that I think we have the money for it.

This will just give Chelsea more control over their loanees.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-chelsea-king-power-leuven-7582678

Chelsea owner Todd Boehly wants to follow Leicester City vision
Latest Leicester City news from LeicestershireLive brings you how Todd Boehly wants to build the same setup that Man City, the Foxes and others have

JW

New Chelsea owner Todd Boehly has shared his ambitions to form a multi-club model at Stamford Bridge, replicating the structure the King Power Group has developed at Leicester City.

The American businessman took over at Stamford Bridge over the summer, succeeding Roman Abramovich after 19 years at the club. Boehly's first summer saw around £300 million spent on reinforcements in the transfer window and incurred further expenses to swap Thomas Tuchel with Graham Potter.

In his first interview following the appointment of Potter, the 48 year-old has spoken about his desire to build a multi-club model at the club to build the right platform for the younger players breaking through the academy.

"We're going to be continuously adding resources. We've been talking about having a multi-club model. I would love to continue to build out the footprint," he told the SALT Conference.

"There's different countries where there's advantages to having a club. Red Bull do a really good job, they've got Leipzig and Salzburg playing in the Champions League. They've figured out how to make that work.

"You have Man City, which has a very big network of clubs. One of the challenges that Chelsea have right now is when you have 18,19,20 year-old superstars, you can loan them out to other clubs, but you put their development into somebody else's hands.

"Our goal is to make sure we can show pathways for our young superstars to get on to the Chelsea pitch, while getting them real game time. To me, the way to do that is through another club in a really competitive league in Europe.

It's a similar model that many have implemented at their clubs, including City. In 2017, the King Power International Group purchased Belgian second division side OH Leuven to join the Foxes as their represented clubs.

Since the takeover, Leuven have earned promotion to the Pro League A and established themselves as a top division side. In the opening years of the partnership, City used Leuven as a feeder club to send players out on loan.

Bartosz Kapustka was the first in 2017 and the Polish winger made 21 appearances throughout the season. Former City players Filip Benkovic, Daniel Iversen, Josh Eppiah and Andy King have all also featured for Leuven.

City striker George Hirst joined the club from Leuven back in 2019 after struggling to strike a deal with Sheffield Wednesday beforehand.

Weird story when you consider Potter has just come from exactly this situation at Brighton. They've got 4 or 5 players on loan at the Belgian club Tony Bloom owns.

Sheff Utd own a Belgian side too... so yeah definitely not the same league as Man City or whatever Chelsea have planned lol