Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

And what happens when one of those players gets injured?

Unlike in other sports, we have the huge transfer fees in football, each player that would play in those sort of games would be a £50 million pound + asset to their club.

Then there’s the case of where you put that fixture?

you couldn’t have it mid season - way too much money in the game to allow players an extra meaningless game.

End of the season every two years is a continental tournament or World Cup.

There are so many more reasons why it wouldn’t ever work in football

Insurance.  I am not saying i think it is a good idea, but the idea that it wouldn't work isn't correct.  As others have said though, possibly a smokescreen for something else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Insurance.  I am not saying i think it is a good idea, but the idea that it wouldn't work isn't correct.  As others have said though, possibly a smokescreen for something else.

If you listen to his interview he talks about learning from the US and a tournament between the bottom four teams - a smokescreen for getting rid of promotion and relegation from the premier league - although it would be highly unlikely a team like Chelsea would ever be relegated- it can happen and these owners would hate that risk being there.

You also have the issue of, if they get rid of relegation from the top flight, opening up a can of worms from the EFL. Could they sue for loss of revenue and earnings? How do you decide who is in the top flight? Is it just whichever teams are in on X date and that's it? What if we have another situation where Villa, Newcastle and us are in the Championship at the time? 

Just more crap from an American. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

And what happens when one of those players gets injured?

Unlike in other sports, we have the huge transfer fees in football, each player that would play in those sort of games would be a £50 million pound + asset to their club.

Then there’s the case of where you put that fixture?

you couldn’t have it mid season - way too much money in the game to allow players an extra meaningless game.

End of the season every two years is a continental tournament or World Cup.

There are so many more reasons why it wouldn’t ever work in football

Real Madrid and ManCity played a charity game midweek last month. If I remember well Real Madrid had a player injured. I don't know if there's insurance involved but I'm certain all these players have specific clauses in their big contracts. One of these clauses is that they have the obligation to follow the team's schedule. This means that if the board tells them to go for a game in Sahara desert they have to go. 

33 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

If you listen to his interview he talks about learning from the US and a tournament between the bottom four teams - a smokescreen for getting rid of promotion and relegation from the premier league - although it would be highly unlikely a team like Chelsea would ever be relegated- it can happen and these owners would hate that risk being there.

If you can get rid of relegation, it's not about Chelsea being relegated, it's about the control of the league being given to the clubs.

If they are separate from the EFL and by extension the FA they can set thier own rules and distribute the finances accordingly. It's another way towards a super League.

In my mind, it's going to happen, just rip the plaster off and let them get on with it. If they want to have the results pre-decided and fans knocking out the ref with a chair then they can. The rest of us can get on with watching competitive sport.

1 minute ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Real Madrid and ManCity played a charity game midweek last month. If I remember well Real Madrid had a player injured. I don't know if there's insurance involved but I'm certain all these players have specific clauses in their big contracts. One of these clauses is that they have the obligation to follow the team's schedule. This means that if the board tells them to go for a game in Sahara desert they have to go. 

That’s all well and good when it’s the club who owns their contract and insures the player that they are playing for, but what happens when they are playing for The Northern Blue Sox in a meaningless game? Who’s insurance can you claim on then?

What about if it’s a player like Raphina for Leeds last season? A long lay off for him last season could have sent Leeds down - it’s all well and good when your own club puts you at risk, but playing in a game like this I can’t see many managers  releasing their players - look at Man Utd under Fergie how many players missed international games.

11 minutes ago, kenny said:

they can set thier own rules and distribute the finances accordingly. It's another way towards a super League.

I think they already have that control, the FA have little or no influence apart from the rules of the game. The FA are cap in hand to the PL with their begging bowl.

12 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

This is why I really wish the Americans would fvck off and stick to their own sports. 

I have no ill will for the American people, the average Joe in the street, but where American interest goes so do these soulless leeches go looking to make as much money as possible off it in the most shamelessly crude ways. 

"Modern" football is already an absolute mess because of wealthy investors looking after their own best interests, we really don't need more of it. 

He says the Premier League could "learn something" from American sports. That statement alone made me fvcking shudder. 

Really wish Ratcliffe had gotten his bid in on time. 

• Like 2

Just now, davieG said:

I think they already have that control, the FA have little or no influence apart from the rules of the game. The FA are cap in hand to the PL with their begging bowl.

Currently money is distributed to the EFL and grassroots. There are also the parachute payments.

Whilst the TV money is disproportionately skewed to the big 6, its still spread around the league.

There are also rules such as you must play in the FA & Carabao Cup which are there to help the lower league teams get paydays.

Its bad now, but they want a total monopoly on how the cash is distributed back to themselves and presumably paid as profits as the Glazers have done.

1 minute ago, kenny said:

Currently money is distributed to the EFL and grassroots. There are also the parachute payments.

Whilst the TV money is disproportionately skewed to the big 6, its still spread around the league.

There are also rules such as you must play in the FA & Carabao Cup which are there to help the lower league teams get paydays.

Its bad now, but they want a total monopoly on how the cash is distributed back to themselves and presumably paid as profits as the Glazers have done.

But that is down to the PL being "generous" they're not forced to do it. 

With respect to the FA and League cup again they do it where it benefits them as in other routes to Europe if that wasn't there they'd dumped it and the FA have very little power to stop them even now.

16 minutes ago, davieG said:

But that is down to the PL being "generous" they're not forced to do it. 

With respect to the FA and League cup again they do it where it benefits them as in other routes to Europe if that wasn't there they'd dumped it and the FA have very little power to stop them even now.

I think they are forced by the FA otherwise they wouldn't bother! They have no regard for the pyramid system we have in this country.

56 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

That’s all well and good when it’s the club who owns their contract and insures the player that they are playing for, but what happens when they are playing for The Northern Blue Sox in a meaningless game? Who’s insurance can you claim on then?

What about if it’s a player like Raphina for Leeds last season? A long lay off for him last season could have sent Leeds down - it’s all well and good when your own club puts you at risk, but playing in a game like this I can’t see many managers  releasing their players - look at Man Utd under Fergie how many players missed international games.

It's a chain. Players are contracted to the teams, the teams follow PL and FA rules and schedule. If PL says you're going to participate in an All Star game you have no option. They won't let you "damage" their product. If the players association objects you'll see actions by them like the NBA "lock-out". 

In a few words the new Chelsea owner reacts like a record pacer in track events, a rabbit. The sport will become proper American style in a few years. Run by rich people for rich people. 

Edited by Fear Of The Fox

26 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

It usually takes a season or so when a new owner comes into the Prem to realise they're an absolute clueless bellend. 

Fair play to this guy, he's made that obvious in record breaking time. 

😀😀 Most probably he had a phone call from the Glazers to speak about this nonsense. "We can't do it, even our fans hate us, can you please say something? You're new, you saved Chelsea, you're gonna get the hate next summer".

We’re just here to add value, baby!

FatSam.JPG.dac2dc1e2cdda626776c2e49f83ba9ef.JPG

p.s. you can tell Boehly is a baseball, not football, owner. 

The baseball All Star game is a highlight of the season and a lucrative property.

The Pro Bowl is a joke exhibition game that few real fans watch.  Star players engaging in a scaled-back version of a violent sport, not trying to win but trying not to get hurt.  Many just opt out.

As competition, it doesn't work in a contact sport.  True PL fans wouldn't bother with a lightweight friendly, and some players would surely just report injuries to sit it out.

He might be able to get a worldwide casual audience.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

I find Jürgen Klopp a moaning bellend the most of times, but his response to an all-star game is pretty good.

Well, pretty funny but completely inaccurate.  All-Star games in American sports are all mid-season.

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

Well, pretty funny but completely inaccurate.  All-Star games in American sports are all mid-season.

Aren't the NFL one like a week before the Superbowl, so more like an end of season hooray?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

I find Jürgen Klopp a moaning bellend the most of times, but his response to an all-star game is pretty good.

Didn't he start to back track towards the end saying it would be interesting? I've only seen it on theTV.

10 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

All this talk of adding revenue. Why not just cut down on costs like astronomical wages for the players?

Improving revenue is massively important and will benefit the club in the long term, which is massively important. We'll shed a tonne off our wage bill in the summer as well.

10 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

Aren't the NFL one like a week before the Superbowl, so more like an end of season hooray?

But that's not remotely what Klopp was talking about.  He clearly believes that these games are in the middle of the four-month offseason he's droning on about.

Edited by Deeg67

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Improving revenue is massively important and will benefit the club in the long term, which is massively important. We'll shed a tonne off our wage bill in the summer as well.

For us maybe but overall it'll just mean bigger transfer fees and higher pay for the players.