Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

Hi everyone,

Some of you may have seen my post before about my new podcast I’m starting up. This is my latest pod about Leicester, where we break down the squad and decide who stays and who should go! 

Please check it out, any and all support is hugely appreciated 🦊💙

37 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Do you think? I think he's been pretty decent for them and has scored some important goals (vs Real Madrid CL Semi-Final, CL Final, Club World Cup Final) 

It was an awful lot of money though - you expect him to be one of the best players in the league for that price and he certainly isn't there yet. Definitely think he's got the potential to be, though. 

He's not done enough to warrant the price tag, he can dine on the big game player effect though and the fact the rest of the attacking options they've signed since hazard left have flopped a lot harder. I think if it wasn't for them he'd be under more criticism 

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

What, like being shite?

Its happened all season 

It wasn't directed at you, just a response. Just look at the forum and you'll find plenty of folk getting wound up before the fact - the Transfer section is especially epic in that regard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

This forum is great apart from when people get massively worked up and offended by stuff that hasn't actually happened yet... 

Are you getting worked up about me getting worked up? That really works me up man.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Stadt said:

Their transfer business has been really wasteful.

Last season they bought 28 year old Lukaku for £100m and loaned in Saul, that was it. Rudiger and Christensen are leaving on frees, they sold Tomori and Guehi last season and now they need probably 3 centrebacks. None of Lukaku, Havertz, Werner, Pulisic and Ziyech have justified their fees either. For a club their size they've been very clumsy - especially when they have a great manager that needs backing.  Some of those were probably the right moves at the time but it's all culminated in a mess now, way before the change in ownership has even affected things.

because the abramovich regime had pretty much been throw money at the shiny objects. They’ve never really put much thought into the signings, it’s rare they go for a hidden gem unless it’s for the youth team purely for profit.

They’ve never been clever, but when you’re at the top a lot of the shiny objects will work out. Kante only went because of our success. if we came 5th they probably wouldn’t have noticed him :dunno: Any plaudits they get for him equally gets taken away for drinkwater. 

At least man city have a targeted approach and aren’t afraid to go for a few gambles. jesus for example was a bit out of the blue but has done very well for them. As will the new south american lad 

They have always felt like a kid on football manager to me 

Edited by Lambert09

8 hours ago, Stadt said:

They've overpaid on quite a few deals and didn't get Christensen or Rudiger to renew. They don't have a DoF as such, so she's responsible for signing off and negotiating on transfers. In Leicester terms, she has a similar role to Rudkin AND Whelan.

I’ve read a couple of Granovskaia profiles filled with praise, which I don’t get -- she’s arguably overrated.  Building one of the best Prem squads is not proof of genius when accomplished via the highest net spend.  And she’s given up some absolutely elite talent way too early and cheaply.

But she is highly respected, and she is the institutional memory of that club's business side.

We can only hope Boehly does what so many new owners do: figure he’s smarter than the competition, because up ‘til now he has been.  And replace CFC’s officers with folks who have figured out finance or baseball, but are not experienced and successful at the top level of European football.

That might make some of their fans nostalgic for Granovskaia.

23 minutes ago, trabuch said:

PGMOL must be a very cushy number.

Seem to have a lot of management positions.

• Like 3

Listening to TalkSport this week (I know) the biggest football story is Eddie Nketiah taking a shirt number of a player who left 15 years ago and has since been worn by another player who was pretty average.

So he doesn't really need to be the next Henry, just better than Theo Walcott.

1 hour ago, Corky said:

Listening to TalkSport this week (I know) the biggest football story is Eddie Nketiah taking a shirt number of a player who left 15 years ago and has since been worn by another player who was pretty average.

So he doesn't really need to be the next Henry, just better than Theo Walcott.

Sounds like a slow news day if that was even a talking point.

Edited by Nalis

7 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

There's going to be a shortage of elite referees in this country and the ones that come in will be abused, screamed at and pilloried.

More will quit and the next batch will he abused, screamed at and pilliored.

Then more will quit and the next batch will he abused, screamed at and pilliored.

And still we won't have the faintest idea why refereeing standards are "low" in this country. Even though football decisions are, by and large, subjective.

The chase for refereeing perfection, and the ever increasing need to abuse match officials means we're going to hound so many out over the next few years.

I get the sentiment of your post, and don't disagree with it but I also think it's worth stating that the way games are reffed in this country doesn't help. 

There is zero accountability for them, even with VAR we have no idea what is being said between the officials. Mic up the refs, broadcast there thoughts and reasonings behind decisions and at least you can try and understand why they have made that decision, even if you don't agree with it. 

It works brilliantly in rugby and I have no idea why it's not been done in football.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

lol

FB_IMG_1655823496778.jpg

I just can't be fully comfortable calling him world class until he's actually won something. There comes a point where you think somebody with such ability cannot simply be that unlucky and there's more to it.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, RobHawk said:

I get the sentiment of your post, and don't disagree with it but I also think it's worth stating that the way games are reffed in this country doesn't help. 

There is zero accountability for them, even with VAR we have no idea what is being said between the officials. Mic up the refs, broadcast there thoughts and reasonings behind decisions and at least you can try and understand why they have made that decision, even if you don't agree with it. 

It works brilliantly in rugby and I have no idea why it's not been done in football.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say. I think mic'ed up refs would be a good thing and being able to hear VAR discussions go some way to naturally softening attitudes on the pitch (I genuinely think most players would filter themselves if they knew they were being broadcast to the world. MOST) and VAR discussions then go to alleviate this nonsense about them ensuring the "big teams" get preference. Let us hear it. Let it be open!

I think mainly I'm just frustrated by this hatred of all referees. Can anyone tell me one referee that, if they retired, people would go "oh that's sad, we'll miss him?" Anyone? I don't think there would be. I think it'd be the same as when Dean and Moss went. GOOD RIDDANCE. BIASED ARSEHOLE ANYWAY.

The only way people like referees is if they give 100% of the decisions your team's way. That's never going to happen, and we're never going to have refereeing perfection due to the fact that not only are decisions mostly subjective, but these referees are human beings. The make mistakes. AI is fantastic for goal line technology, maybe it'll be fine for offsides, but who got the last touch for a throw is something that can go wrong.

Elite refs nowadays need to know ALL of the rules, have the composure to handle these big games and, importantly, be super, super fit. You're instantly limiting your pool with all three of these. It is a ridiculously difficult job and all they get is abuse and accusations of being biased and useless.

Things can improve to make it more open like above, but don't be surprised when aspiring refs take a look at how existing refs are treated and say "don't fancy that."

Tha main thing I want from a referee is to demand respect from players. Speak to them like humans before the game. Tell them that you will explain any decisions where possible, in return they have to treat you with respect. Explain that if a player comes over shouting, swearing or being aggressive, then it will be a booking. If they do it again it'll be another booking.

Referees have the power to be respected yet they refuse to use it. Keep letting the players disrespect them and it just becmes part of the game.

You might not agree with the ref, but as long as they show consistency in their reasoning and decisions and have the respect of the players, then that's about as much as they can do.

Communication and respect are key. The best refs I had in my youth days were the refs that talked to the players before the game and explained how they ref the game, talking to the players as people.

Be consistent, communicate and enforce the rules correctly (which should just be a given for any top flight ref). Which means if Fabinho pulls someone back blatently after 2 minutes, you book him. It's a yellow card offence and you've given the foul, so make sure you book him.  Referee the action, don't base decisions on the result of a challenge or what time it is in the game.

Bit of a mess as my posts usually are but they're what I look for in a ref :D

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I just can't be fully comfortable calling him world class until he's actually won something. There comes a point where you think somebody with such ability cannot simply be that unlucky and there's more to it.

Audi Cup :appl::appl:well done Kane - world class