Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

12 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I just can't be fully comfortable calling him world class until he's actually won something. There comes a point where you think somebody with such ability cannot simply be that unlucky and there's more to it.

Well, World Cup aside, Bobby Moore won very little with West Ham and few would say he wasn't "world class".. Kane demonstrates his ability often enough against us . He is world class but standards have dropped over the last ten years.

6 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Well, World Cup aside, Bobby Moore won very little with West Ham and few would say he wasn't "world class".. Kane demonstrates his ability often enough against us . He is world class but standards have dropped over the last ten years.

What is the hatred of Harry Kane? World class and no doubt about it. Just been mostly surrounded by crap for England and spurs.

2 minutes ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

What is the hatred of Harry Kane? World class and no doubt about it. Just been mostly surrounded by crap for England and spurs.

The banter can get a bit nasty at times I agree.

1 hour ago, TheStig said:

Audi Cup :appl::appl:well done Kane - world class

Kane is World Class. His numbers are unreal for a striker, especially a striker in a top flight. He had three consecutive seasons scoring 25+ ffs and that's no easy job, especially in a side that hasn't actually won anything.

Players aren't defined by trophies. Some of the greatest players ever have won next to nothing but some "average" players have won trophies because they've been lucky enough to be part of a great squad.

Haaland has won two Austrian league titles, fair play but not the greatest league in the World, but you'd still call him World Class.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Kane is World Class. His numbers are unreal for a striker, especially a striker in a top flight. He had three consecutive seasons scoring 25+ ffs and that's no easy job, especially in a side that hasn't actually won anything.

Players aren't defined by trophies. Some of the greatest players ever have won next to nothing but some "average" players have won trophies because they've been lucky enough to be part of a great squad.

Haaland has won two Austrian league titles, fair play but not the greatest league in the World, but you'd still call him World Class.

We really need to define what "world class" actually means though. You see the phrase used so much yet I don't think anyone really knows what it means. There are even posters on here that think Youri is world class, good player though he is.

13 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

We really need to define what "world class" actually means though. You see the phrase used so much yet I don't think anyone really knows what it means. There are even posters on here that think Youri is world class, good player though he is.

World class definition:

you’re picking a world squad of 22 to play in the inter galactic trophy 
Does a player make the final selection discussion? If he does then I would say he is world class. 

of course those who would have made the discussion in the past retain world class status for their period but not if they’ve gone over the top. in a couple of years, ronaldo may still be playing but he likely won’t be world class any longer. 

if you want to look at our squad, you would struggle to find anyone getting close to the discussion. If we keep wes for two more seasons then we might have someone. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

World class definition:

you’re picking a world squad of 22 to play in the inter galactic trophy 
Does a player make the final selection discussion? If he does then I would say he is world class. 

of course those who would have made the discussion in the past retain world class status for their period but not if they’ve gone over the top. in a couple of years, ronaldo may still be playing but he likely won’t be world class any longer. 

if you want to look at our squad, you would struggle to find anyone getting close to the discussion. If we keep wes for two more seasons then we might have someone. 

i’d probably push it further than just 22. In the top 15 in their position probably for me. 

I just always took it as meaning they would be a top player anywhere in the world. 

Id  argue vardy is world class simply because his goal ratio is still unreal. I also agree kane is world class. Football is a team sport so you can’t hold back a player based on trophies… it goes for the same dummies dissing messi because he hasn’t won the world cup

Can salah never achieve greatness because egypt won’t win a world cup? 

You simply have to measure the individual 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

i’d probably push it further than just 22. In the top 15 in their position probably for me. 

I just always took it as meaning they would be a top player anywhere in the world. 

Id  argue vardy is world class simply because his goal ratio is still unreal. I also agree kane is world class. Football is a team sport so you can’t hold back a player based on trophies… it goes for the same dummies dissing messi because he hasn’t won the world cup

I'd say top 5 at each position. 15 is too many imho.

52 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Just because you're in a top 5 doesn't in itself make you world class, they maybe a shortage of perceived world class for a specific position,

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

i think he meant top fifteen players across all positions. To me that’s too restrictive. That’s why I said a squad of 22. 

25 minutes ago, davieG said:

Just because you're in a top 5 doesn't in itself make you world class, they maybe a shortage of perceived world class for a specific position,

Top 5 likely too much for the reason you stated. But then if a certain position is extremely strong then you are possibly going to lose some world class players. Over time they should all get their selection though. 

the general point is that it is banded around too loosely 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

There is a substantial difference between winning a World Cup once and winning nothing. Kane has won literally nothing in his career. It's mental. He is obviously exceptionally talented but there is something missing. This is beyond bad luck at this point.

30 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

There is a substantial difference between winning a World Cup once and winning nothing. Kane has won literally nothing in his career. It's mental. He is obviously exceptionally talented but there is something missing. This is beyond bad luck at this point.

I’m not a Kane fan, but he was a couple of penalty kicks away from this narrative being very different. It’s a weird one to judge. Personally I don’t think he’s as good as made out to be, but I would maintain that stance even if he’d won a couple of league titles and a euros. Simultaneously he can’t be can’t not world class simply for not winning them. 

17 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

I’m not a Kane fan, but he was a couple of penalty kicks away from this narrative being very different. It’s a weird one to judge. Personally I don’t think he’s as good as made out to be, but I would maintain that stance even if he’d won a couple of league titles and a euros. Simultaneously he can’t be can’t not world class simply for not winning them. 

It's a tricky one, I can see both sides, but I just can't bring myself to speak about him the way some do when he has such an obvious gap. I mean a lot accept him as the best striker in the world, is he really?

4 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Can salah never achieve greatness because egypt won’t win a world cup? 

You simply have to measure the individual 

Agreed. George Best was an all time great but never made a World Cup Finals tournament 

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

In Kane's defence though, he can't win major honours just on his own but he's played 3 finals for club and country and not scored once so you could argue when the chances do come to win silverware he has to step up.