Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

14 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

2 of your examples are widely acknowledged to be the greatest of all time in their respective sports. I don't think anybody else is comparing Kane to Gretzky or Jordan ffs lol. By your definition there's basically been a handful of world class players across all sports and all time.

I took the easy way out and went with the obvious.  There are others….sorry most are NHL because I followed for 20 years before discovering soccer :)

Dominik Hasek,  Single-handedly  took a below mediocre Sabres team to within a goal of winning the Stanley Cup.

Eddie Belfour.  Yes, won a cup with a great team.  Then the following year put that same exhausted, worn out team that lacked fire in his back and backstopped them to the Finals.

Claude Lemieux.  POS who was a bit player that would score 8-10 every year.  Playoffs came around and he’d carry teams to the finals, scoring 15-20 in 20 games and winning MVP in the process.

A great argument for NGolo  Kante as World Class can be made before Kane.  He elevated our defense and midfield to the point that Chelsea overpaid for Drinkwater, and we won the league.  

Anyways, it’s all just opinion.

Edited by marbles

4 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

It's not like Kane's been let down in his opportunities to win trophies, he's just never turned up. If he'd have had bag like 3 goals in however many finals and didn't secure the medal you could have more than an argument. 

Great World Class players find a way. 
Which was the point of my examples

45 minutes ago, marbles said:

Sorry, I honestly don’t know what this means

If half the people question it, how can it be “clearly”?

I tend to make wild statements without thinking too much my apologies and don’t always get my point across as I wish to. In my opinion he is clearly world class. That’s what I meant. But I suppose it’s a matter of semantics. The leonardo comment was a niche reference to Kevin Keegan doubling  down and not changing his mind even when faced with overwhelming evidence to the contrary which was maybe a little unfair sorry. 

Edited by RumbleFox

2 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I tend to make wild statements without thinking too much my apologies and don’t always get my point across as I wish to. In my opinion he is clearly world class. That’s what I meant. But I suppose it’s a matter of semantics. The leonardo comment was a niche reference to Kevin Keegan doubling  down and not changing his mind even when faced with overwhelming evidence to the contrary which was maybe a little unfair sorry. 

No biggie - I just didn’t understand it.  Thanks for explaining :)

We all have our opinions.  If we all thought the exact same way, the world would be a very boring place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

It's not like Kane's been let down in his opportunities to win trophies, he's just never turned up. If he'd have had bag like 3 goals in however many finals and didn't secure the medal you could have more than an argument. 

This. Hasn't played well in a single one.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
20 hours ago, Craig said:

Harry Kane is one of the best strikers in the world. He is world class. 

We only think this in England. Look at his goals for England- very few against big sides or in big games. Very few goals in big games and no trophies. 

Hes a very good striker but there's major gaps in his record to be put in the same bracket as Benzema and Mbappe.

20 hours ago, baldeagle said:

He’s still a dick though 😂

Currently on his 3rd season in a row of paying to sponsor Leyton Orient shirts and giving the space to charities in need of a voice.

I know it doesn't take much for a multi millionaire to do that but the difference is... he actually does do it.

Married to his childhood sweetheart, clearly a family man etc. Never had a negative story about him anywhere which is quite the achievement for an England star boy! 

Yeah on the pitch he can be a bit of a cheat and a moaner, but name a successful player who isn't?

Feel like our fans cling on to one silly 'coming for you' tweet and wont let go, rather than laughing at how silly it was like he probably does now.

Not to mention the fact we all seem to forget he actually ****ing played for us, it might not have been for long but we're part of his journey to where he is now and i'd much rather we were proud of that than constantly slung mud at him for the way he speaks or looks or whatever else.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SkidsFox said:

If we limit to players still active in the game, would be fairly easy to name five above Kane. MBappe, Ronaldo, Messi, Lewandowski and Suarez. I think Kane would get into the top ten though, narrowly behind Jamie (!)

Suarez, Messi or Ronaldo aren’t better than Kane in 2022.

58 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

Your reminder that the Forest owner is (allegedly) an absolute mentalist funt.

0195EB47-024E-4AED-8A1F-9AB57663BF5C.jpeg

He’s made his money now so I won’t be surprised if he spends low then all of a sudden sells up

38 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Currently on his 3rd season in a row of paying to sponsor Leyton Orient shirts and giving the space to charities in need of a voice.

I know it doesn't take much for a multi millionaire to do that but the difference is... he actually does do it.

Married to his childhood sweetheart, clearly a family man etc. Never had a negative story about him anywhere which is quite the achievement for an England star boy! 

Yeah on the pitch he can be a bit of a cheat and a moaner, but name a successful player who isn't?

Feel like our fans cling on to one silly 'coming for you' tweet and wont let go, rather than laughing at how silly it was like he probably does now.

Not to mention the fact we all seem to forget he actually ****ing played for us, it might not have been for long but we're part of his journey to where he is now and i'd much rather we were proud of that than constantly slung mud at him for the way he speaks or looks or whatever else.

Never ever bought into this supposed to hate attitude around Kane. An eminently more likeable footballer than 90% of modern day players. 

Never really been given a salient reason as to why he’s apparently such a piece of work. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Suarez, Messi or Ronaldo aren’t better than Kane in 2022.

But the question wasn't "who is better in 2022"

It was an answer to 

Another way to look at it - if building a team, and you had every striker available in their prime, where would Kane fall? First pick, second pick, fifth pick?

Even then I cut it down to players still playing.

3 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

The thing is with Kane is that he is world class, but it's the typical problem that English media and fans always create. Everything has to be centred around him - he's never been that much (if at all) better than Vardy, and most countries would have played them both together. In England though, we can't think like that - it has to be all about him. Basically, he's a fantastic football player, but also overhyped at the same time. 

We did similar for Rooney as well. Rooney at least did back it up domestically though with the trophy haul.

• Like 4

England made an absolute cockup with playing kane and Vardy together. Other than the two games 1 being against Germany where they played naturally together and banged goals and assisted one another we saw the brief awesome potential but of course southgate had to revert to type and picked kane over Vardy going forwards benching Vardy. Such a shame. I don’t blame Vardy for going off southgate. I’m sure deep down he loved representing his country. This ineptitude by southgate and his staff will be one of the biggest blunders of his career. We will look back and say how did he not utilize 2 of the worlds deadliest strikers at their peak. Could have won a trophy by forming a team around the duo.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Honestly don't think he's anything special. Will be good for him to work under Pep though 

He’s alright. Got a hell of an engine on him. Can see him doing all the running and graft so the flair players can strut their stuff.

Hate the way Man City can just buy whoever they want though but that’s just how it is I guess..

Just now, Izzy said:

He’s alright. Got a hell of an engine on him. Can see him doing all the running and graft so the flair players can strut their stuff.

Hate the way Man City can just buy whoever they want though but that’s just how it is I guess..

I thought they'd have paid the extra for Declan Rice to be honest. And yeah the gap is only getting bigger sadly

I'm not a massive Phillips fan but for £42m plus a few add ons it's a decent deal. Gets some more mobility into their midfield and obviously counts as home grown. 

Man City getting £50m for Jesus supposedly. Imagine they'll be fine with effectively swapping Jesus with Phillips.

Eh its just Grealish again. I don't think anyone at Man City thinks either of them are particularly good enough to be starting there let alone to be worth 150m.

But they clearly want to shift the culture and image of the club to be one that features more England internationals. 

13 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Eh its just Grealish again. I don't think anyone at Man City thinks either of them are particularly good enough to be starting there let alone to be worth 150m.

But they clearly want to shift the culture and image of the club to be one that features more England internationals. 

I don't even think it's anything to do with image/culture. More a case they don't want to burn out their top stars. Have the make weights help out in games against Leeds/Everton/Forest etc. Keep the top stars for the big Champions League games, and tough games against Pool, Chelsea and err...us!