Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

@The Bear Just read this on a Wolves forum, are these actions by your board (Shi/Sellars I guess) accurate?

• Managing Director - Fired and not replaced
  • Sporting Director - Quit and not replaced
  • Spent 35m on Fabio Silva and 30m on Nelson Semedo, ultimately failing to adequately capitalise on two back to back 7th place finishes
  • Sacked Nuno and hired Bruno
  • Loaned Adama to Barca for half a season for free (no loan fee, no wages paid and an option to buy not taken up). Now in the final year of his contract.
  • Failed to sack Bruno
  • Let Coady, Saiss, Boly, Ruddy, Marcal and Dendoncker all leave in one summer.
  • Finished the transfer window with inadequate numbers and quality at CF and CB and our star man with 18 months left on his contract.
  • Sacked Bruno and failed to replace him
  • Decided not to replace Bruno and left U18's manager in charge.

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

@The Bear Just read this on a Wolves forum, are these actions by your board (Shi/Sellars I guess) accurate?

• Spent 35m on Fabio Silva and 30m on Nelson Semedo, ultimately failing to adequately capitalise on two back to back 7th place finishes
  • Loaned Adama to Barca for half a season for free (no loan fee, no wages paid and an option to buy not taken up). Now in the final year of his contract.
  • Failed to sack Bruno
  • Finished the transfer window with inadequate numbers and quality at CF and CB and our star man with 18 months left on his contract.

Not hard to see why they’re in the state they’re in. Losing all of those names, many who were key in their promotion and the decent first seasons in the Prem, would have a massive impact. 
A bit similar to how losing Morgan/Fuchs/Schmeichel seemed to lead to a downturn for us (amongst other factors). 
Give Jamie and Marc 40 year contracts please!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Aren't Wolves up for sale now too?

Probably not the worst thing for them if they are. Depending on whether there's interest of course.

The portuguese experiment worked well for them for a while, brought some success and good times in etc. I still think with a decent manager and some signings in Jan they can stay up.

But if they can get away from Mendes clutches it's the perfect time to rebuild given their current situation, starting to bring in none mendes signings/managers etc.

As good a time as any for a reset.

For were Wolves are at the moment in terms of club on the pitch and off the pitch. League Survival should be there main focus. There screaming out for manager like Sean Dyche someone use to working with nothing budget's but still getting results. Surprised they've not considered a lot sooner. 

Talk not to far from them, Villa are closing in on Unai Emery. Interesting appointment that, can't say his methods worked at Arsenal. But certainly seems to be the expert in the europa league.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

For were Wolves are at the moment in terms of club on the pitch and off the pitch. League Survival should be there main focus. There screaming out for manager like Sean Dyche someone use to working with nothing budget's but still getting results. Surprised they've not considered a lot sooner. 

Talk not to far from them, Villa are closing in on Unai Emery. Interesting appointment that, can't say his methods worked at Arsenal. But certainly seems to be the expert in the europa league.

Unai Emery would be a great appointment for Villa.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

• Failed to sack Bruno

Yep pretty much. It's a bit of a shit show at the minute. They've stated that Davis will be in charge until 2023 but we desperately need a manager right now. 

5 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Yep pretty much. It's a bit of a shit show at the minute. They've stated that Davis will be in charge until 2023 but we desperately need a manager right now. 

Sorry to hear that mate, hope they sort it (or themselves) out soon.  :fc:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Bear said:

What has changed from when you came up? There was ambitions of going straight into the top 4 and winning league titles wasn't there? 

7 hours ago, francis39 said:

LOL Our fixtures r difficult at first and v easy recently. Cannot jump into conclusion . I cannot see us getting points against better teams if we continue to allow opponents to shoot easily 

I'd lump the two fixtures I highlighted into the easyish category too. I'm sure we will get shown up against better attacks but we shouldn't be fearing Everton and West Ham at the moment.

1 hour ago, ARTY_FOX said:

What has changed from when you came up? There was ambitions of going straight into the top 4 and winning league titles wasn't there? 

9 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Every club that comes up says that though. Talk is cheap. 

Every manager and chairman does it, Vichai did it about playing in Europe. We all thought he was being optimistic/nuts.

As successful businessmen, most Chairmen are going to be ambitious. And a few will pull off a cup win or a season in Europe. We obviously have taken it to the extreme, but that's a one-off!

41 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

I'd lump the two fixtures I highlighted into the easyish category too. I'm sure we will get shown up against better attacks but we shouldn't be fearing Everton and West Ham at the moment.

i will jump into conclusions on whether rodgers should stay after the 3 fixtures.

I can see 2 of the bottom 3 changing a lot over the season and wouldn't be surprised to see us, West Ham, Southampton and Palace all take up a slot over the season.

World cup is going to mess with things, massively. If Villa, Wolves and Leeds can get a decent enough manager in, who can guide them to safety, then that's a big fly in our ointment. 

New tv fixtures 

All fixtures for MW17-19

(kick-offs 15:00 unless stated. All times GMT)

Monday 26 December
12:30 Brentford v Spurs (Prime Video)
Crystal Palace v Fulham (Prime Video)
Everton v Wolves (Prime Video)
Leicester v Newcastle (Prime Video)
Southampton v Brighton (Prime Video)
17:30 Aston Villa v Liverpool (Prime Video)
20:00 Arsenal v West Ham (Prime Video)

Tuesday 27 December
17:30 Chelsea v AFC Bournemouth (Prime Video)
20:00 Man Utd v Nott'm Forest (Prime Video)

Wednesday 28 December
20:00 Leeds v Man City (Prime Video)

Friday 30 December
19:45 West Ham v Brentford*
20:00 Liverpool v Leicester (Sky Sports)

Saturday 31 December
12:30 Wolves v Man Utd (BT Sport)
AFC Bournemouth v Crystal Palace
Fulham v Southampton
Man City v Everton
Newcastle v Leeds
17:30 Brighton v Arsenal (Sky Sports)

Sunday 1 January
14:00 Spurs v Aston Villa (Sky Sports)
16:30 Nott'm Forest v Chelsea (Sky Sports)

Monday 2 January
17:30 Brentford v Liverpool (Sky Sports)

Tuesday 3 January
19:45 Everton v Brighton*
19:45 Leicester v Fulham*
20:00 Arsenal v Newcastle (Sky Sports)
20:00 Man Utd v AFC Bournemouth*

Wednesday 4 January
19:30 Southampton v Nott'm Forest*
19:45 Leeds v West Ham*
20:00 Aston Villa v Wolves*
20:00 Crystal Palace v Spurs (Sky Sports)

Thursday 5 January
20:00 Chelsea v Man City (Sky Sports)

*To protect rest periods between MW18-19

Edited by jammie82uk
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

The problem is Fosun's guy who runs Wolves, Jeff Shi. He seems to think he's some kind of football maverick who can almost run the club by himself. We lost our directors of football, recruitment and business, only the first being replaced. We also lost the head of the recruitment team. 

For the football and recruitment role (basically a director of football) he appointed a yes man the academy manager Scott Sellars who has been promoted above his skill level and now heads up all the  coaching and recruitment. 

The business role Jeff Shi decided he could do it all himself. So it's just those two really and a bunch of yes men in lesser roles. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

I can see 2 of the bottom 3 changing a lot over the season and wouldn't be surprised to see us, West Ham, Southampton and Palace all take up a slot over the season.

World cup is going to mess with things, massively. If Villa, Wolves and Leeds can get a decent enough manager in, who can guide them to safety, then that's a big fly in our ointment. 

We´ve done our stint there....

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Every club that comes up says that though. Talk is cheap. 

Not every club makes as much fan fare about it as wolves did. You couldn't find anyone inside of Wolverhampton even considering anything other than winning champions leagues in a couple of years. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

1 hour ago, The Bear said:

The problem is Fosun's guy who runs Wolves, Jeff Shi. He seems to think he's some kind of football maverick who can almost run the club by himself. We lost our directors of football, recruitment and business, only the first being replaced. We also lost the head of the recruitment team. 

For the football and recruitment role (basically a director of football) he appointed a yes man the academy manager Scott Sellars who has been promoted above his skill level and now heads up all the  coaching and recruitment. 

The business role Jeff Shi decided he could do it all himself. So it's just those two really and a bunch of yes men in lesser roles. 

All this plus outsource the recruitment to one agent.  Which I admit struck me as an unfair advantage -- until Mendes stopped sourcing bargains, and started selling you his distressed assets at stupidly high prices.  But Fosun won't care -- with their part ownership of Gestifute, it's just money out of the right hand into the left.

A recipe for failure, and not one that looks likely to change fast enough to prevent relegation.

I'm sorry for you ... but would feel sorrier if we didn't need a few dumpster fires at the bottom of the table to stay safe ourselves.