Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

1 hour ago, Koke said:

Villa get Emery while we sit on our bum doing f all. So frustrating.

Have you seen Villa's next games until the WC break? Newcastle away, twice against ManU (one for the EFL Cup) and Brighton away. After 4 defeats you'll probably comment to give him time, it's not his team etc. while they'll be sitting bottom of the table. 

Oh, after the WC they have Liverpool and Spurs. Good luck to Emery. His decision to leave Villareal for Villa defies any logic. He's either too confident or just a crazy (in a good way) guy who doesn't care, he's made a lot of money already and can treat his career like a Football Manager videogame. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, los dedos said:

I was never a fan of Dyche but I refuse to believe us or anyone else would be a Burnley . 

This is why I'd be happy with him coming in. I wouldnt necessarily want him as our first option, but I don't think we'd go far wrong with him leading the way.

Short term deal and he'd set us right. Longer term his ceiling perhaps isn't the level we'd want to be (although you could've said the same about someone like Potter - everyone could have their breakthrough club), but I'd have full confidence that he'd get the backing of the players and we'd get a bit more consistency.

At the very least, it'd be refreshing to have a manager who is up front and honest, where you can trust what they say in interviews and you know it's not going to be self-serving and diverting blame to protect their reputation. For me, Dyche seems like that kind of personality. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, los dedos said:

I was never a fan of Dyche but I refuse to believe us or anyone else would be a Burnley . 

In theory, me and hundreds of others in this forum are also very deep thinkers when it comes to management, even without the proper diploma. The crucial question is how you react as a manager/coach in real games that unfold in front of your eyes. Dyche is still unproven at least to me. 1 year at Watford, 9.5 years at Burnley. 10.5 years his 2 teams played a certain style of football, quite successfully in Championship I admit, but totally unattractive at PL levels. 

That said, I don't want him in my team. If another PL team wants to take the risk and experiment with Dyche it's fine. 

4 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

In theory, me and hundreds of others in this forum are also very deep thinkers when it comes to management, even without the proper diploma. The crucial question is how you react as a manager/coach in real games that unfold in front of your eyes. Dyche is still unproven at least to me. 1 year at Watford, 9.5 years at Burnley. 10.5 years his 2 teams played a certain style of football, quite successfully in Championship I admit, but totally unattractive at PL levels. 

That said, I don't want him in my team. If another PL team wants to take the risk and experiment with Dyche it's fine. 

Quote , Josep Guardiola , who is better than most tbf , "Managers are overrated". What we need is some geezer who can motivate our underperforming players and who doesn't own a notebook full of outdated rubbish tactical ideas. Surely somebody out there can do that.

17 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

But every manager would be an experiment. One from abroad would be just as big a risk if not more !

2 hours ago, Koke said:

Villa get Emery while we sit on our bum doing f all. So frustrating.

A big problem for that particular case is that we would have had to pay Brendan a big sum and then pay Villarreal a similar sum to free up Emery, and then pay his wages. Would have killed us off.

Guest Chocolate Teapot
17 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

I am judging him from 2019 & the team has slowly deteriorated under his stewardship. 

Yeah, imagine deteriorating from being one of the top 3 teams in the league 🤣

26 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

people always hate until it’s too late. 

Nobody here would have taken eddie howe either… who would say the same now? 

There are many club factors that can effect management. The best adapt to what they have… I think Dyche is one of those. 

I don’t expect it ever to be like pep… but that’s perhaps where we go wrong… trying to copy better teams styles… it doesn’t work unless you match their quality. 

Id imagine dyche would have us more like our title winning style, a very  aggressive counter attacking team and i’m fond of a slightly more direct approach to play than what we are being served up currently 

absolutely as we wouldnt be able to give him the 230m he has spent on players since he has been there. 

• Like 2

My impression of Dyche from his recent media appearances is that he is someone who knows his audience and is more than happy to tell them what they want to hear. On MNF and that High Performance podcast he comes across as an pretty intelligent and thoughtful manager. On Banter Ben Foster's podcast he comes across as a great down to earth bloke who's up for a laugh. On Keys and Gray's podcast (which I would very much like to stress I've only heard clips of elsewhere) he comes across as a proper football man dinosaur. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goose2010 said:

absolutely as we wouldnt be able to give him the 230m he has spent on players since he has been there. 

i’d argue we already had the 230m worth of talent at the club. 

I still personally believe our squad or at least first 11 is just as good as theirs 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

people always hate until it’s too late. 

Nobody here would have taken eddie howe either… who would say the same now? 

There are many club factors that can effect management. The best adapt to what they have… I think Dyche is one of those. 

I don’t expect it ever to be like pep… but that’s perhaps where we go wrong… trying to copy better teams styles… it doesn’t work unless you match their quality. 

Id imagine dyche would have us more like our title winning style, a very  aggressive counter attacking team and i’m fond of a slightly more direct approach to play than what we are being served up currently 

I did, I wanted him after Shakespeare and after Puel, one of the best young managers and did wonders at Bournemouth.

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

And oh my god the constant excuses, we have to play this football because we're skint. What? There are clubs in the National League choosing to play better football than you with pub footballers. Plenty of clubs have come up, spent less or comparable amounts to Burnley and actually tried to score goals. 

Dyche wouldn't be in my top 5, probably not even my top 10 as a Rodgers replacement -  but what did you want him to do there? Burnley's ownerships was unambitious, their scouting network massively underdeveloped and their squad suited to one way of playing. They signed 4 players for > £10m in 5 years in the PL.

Was he supposed to bin off the approach that worked very successfully for their standards, overhaul their recruitment set up and play exciting possession football with queue of dynamos waiting to join Burnley?

As for no pressing that's not true, their average position was usually quite deep (unsurprisingly) but they actually pressed quite high for most his tenure.

Screenshot-2022-10-25-at-16-49-19.png

He's not an outstanding manager but you have to judge his Burnley tenure by what he was working with. A Glazier-lite takeover and a board in  noughties Bill Kenwright costumes meant there was little financial backing and no desire to leverage scouting or analytics to maximise whatever chance they had. So in effect, he took the 18th richest (?) Championship club to the PL twice where they finished 16th, 7th, 15th, 10th  and 17th with a net spend of £23m in 7 years.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, los dedos said:

Think exactly this. He's not my number one choice but I don't think he'd turn us into some 4-4-2 low block side. It'd be a bit nearer Moyes' West Ham if anything.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, los dedos said:

I like Dyche. He was given the tools (and nothing else) to keep Burnley in the league, which he achieved for a good few years. I think it’d be naive to assume he reached his ceiling at Burnley. 

I’m not saying he’s on the level of some of the best tactically astute managers, but he’d get a better tune out of a better squad than Burnley. Without the soft underbelly we currently possess too.

Wouldn’t have him as our first choice, but I think he’ll do well if he gets another PL job with a more talented squad. We could do a lot worse should Rodgers leave in my opinion. 

All said and done, someone will employ him to ‘firefight’ or dig them out a hole… and he’ll look like standard boring Sean Dyche. Horses for courses I guess.