Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

4 hours ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Have you seen Villa's next games until the WC break? Newcastle away, twice against ManU (one for the EFL Cup) and Brighton away. After 4 defeats you'll probably comment to give him time, it's not his team etc. while they'll be sitting bottom of the table. 

Oh, after the WC they have Liverpool and Spurs. Good luck to Emery. His decision to leave Villareal for Villa defies any logic. He's either too confident or just a crazy (in a good way) guy who doesn't care, he's made a lot of money already and can treat his career like a Football Manager videogame. 

They'll win at Brighton I reckon.

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

A decade of watching his Burnley side?

Two or three interviews with the media in which he's desperately trying to convince anyone that'll listen that he's a modern, progressive manager that can be versatile if he needs to be (because he's trying to get a job and nobody will give him one at the level he wants because they don't want to play like fvcking Burnley) isn't sufficient evidence to outweigh ten years of him playing abject anti-football.

And oh my god the constant excuses, we have to play this football because we're skint. What? There are clubs in the National League choosing to play better football than you with pub footballers. Plenty of clubs have come up, spent less or comparable amounts to Burnley and actually tried to score goals. 

Our own club spent ten to twenty times less on the likes of Vardy and Mahrez than they chose to spuff on Jeff Hendrick or Robbie Brady. Nobody put a gun to Dyche's head and said he had to target hard working journeymen with little technical ability. They sign those players because he spent a decade there with no interest in trying to improve the type of player they signed. Pearson and Walsh at Leicester accepted we weren't the wealthiest but they went out to maximise the efficiency of our signings by finding the best statistical buys we could find on our budget. Meanwhile Sean Dyche was signing Lukas Jutkiewicz because he was tall. Well done Sean.

And I wouldn't mind if the idea of them being this hard to play against team of warriors rung any truth but their park the bus, no ambition, no press, low block nonsense used to see them haemorrhage more goals to Man City every season with their routine 28482542 nil drubbings than any team like ourselves who'd at very least go and press them and get in their face and try to counter.

Eddie Howe has always been well thought of by the footballing establishment, people on here liked to roll their eyes and sneer in the same way people are overtly critical of anyone that gets praise they don't like. He's a solid manager that coaches good football and overachieved with a pretty rubbish Bournemouth who were vastly worse of without him.

Of all the languages in the world, you chose to speak facts.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

i’d argue we already had the 230m worth of talent at the club. 

I still personally believe our squad or at least first 11 is just as good as theirs 🤷‍♂️

Huge difference between inheriting a team and cherry picking who you want. 

8 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

A referee is set to return, after a ban mocking a disabled person.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63394543

From memory, we always seemed to lose when he was in charge, however, I can’t recall any bad decisions.

Should never have been sacked in the first place, I think he’s been very open on talking about what’s happened and isn’t any worse than the standard of refs running around now.

45 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

From memory, we always seemed to lose when he was in charge, however, I can’t recall any bad decisions.

Should never have been sacked in the first place, I think he’s been very open on talking about what’s happened and isn’t any worse than the standard of refs running around now.

Shit penalty call against Spurs I think. Involving Kramaric? 

10 hours ago, Wymsey said:

A referee is set to return, after a ban mocking a disabled person.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63394543

Been back for a while in the EFL I think.

8 hours ago, filbertway said:

lol

Still cant believe he was "banned" 

I know he he done his time and people get 2nd chances in life but wonder  if he’d been allowed back at all had he mocked a black or gay person given the issues and campaigns  in football around those subjects?

Edited by Super_horns

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Been back for a while in the EFL I think.

I know he he done his time and people get 2nd chances in life but wonder  if he’d been allowed back at all had he mocked a black or gay person given the issues and campaigns  in football around those subjects?

Probably he wouldn't be allowed back. I don't know what exactly he said to get the ban but I reckon it was a "lighter form" of discrimination? 

• Like 1

Mahrez has missed 10 of 32 penalties taken in his career. Thought it was far more than that but there's a lot of attention on one's he missed - especially the one against Liverpool a couple of seasons ago. 

Scored 22 in total. 

Edited by StanSP
  • Thanks 1

Honestly can't believe Madley is putting himself through coming back. Could they not have given him a job at VAR?

Literally every game is going to be dog chant after dog chant... why would you want to put yourself through that?

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Mahrez has missed 10 of 32 penalties taken in his career. Thought it was far more than that but there's a lot of attention on one's he missed - especially the one against Liverpool a couple of seasons ago. 

Scored 22 in total. 

The crucial question is how many of the missed penalties have cost points to his team. Do we have this statistic? 

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Scored 22 in total. 

I mean that's not a good rate of return to be honest. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

W4 D5 L8 - Though did go five years without a league win when he refereed. We’re the second most teams he’s referred.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bobby-madley/bilanzdetail/schiedsrichter/3996/saison_id/0/heim_gast//verein_id/1003/wettbewerb_id//funktion/1/plus/0

Edited by when_you're_smiling
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah missing a third of your penalties is absolutely shit ahaha, why do they still let him take them

Haaland was subbed off earlier. For some bizarre reason Pep doesn't want Gundogan taking the penalties or even Foden and Rodri. 

Mahrez has missed 3 out of 4 last penalties, all of them taken on the same side of the goal. This means he's done as a penalty taker because the GKs do their research pre game. He won't be able to take the next one as he failed to follow the golden rule regarding penalty kicks: Spot placing variety. 

33 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I mean that's not a good rate of return to be honest. 

24 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah missing a third of your penalties is absolutely shit ahaha, why do they still let him take them

I agree. Must be better options by now, even if Haaland and KDB aren't on the pitch. 

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

1 hour ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Probably he wouldn't be allowed back. I don't know what exactly he said to get the ban but I reckon it was a "lighter form" of discrimination? 

Ah yes. Taking the piss out of people who actually can't defend themselves.

22 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Oh god. Controversy aside. He was an astonishingly bad referee. The worst of what was generally bad bunch by a long long way and I I clue John Moss in that. 

Just shows how bad the state of refereeing is in this country to allow people like him to come back at the top flight.  

3 hours ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

Apparently took a picture of a disabled person walking with a limp or something and posted that  to a friend via text who took offence and reported him - maybe had a disabled relative themselves or something ?

Hardly a big crime I guess although enough to get him banned originally.

What changed..

Edited by Super_horns
  • Thanks 1