Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

The Athletic put up a brief roundtable with four of their League-wide writers.  Bournemouth and Forest were unanimous picks for relegation.  None mentioned us.

Who are you predicting to be relegated?

OK: Nottingham Forest, Bournemouth and Southampton. I’ve said them from the start and while I haven’t seen a great deal to justify such pessimism, nor can I see three teams who look more vulnerable.

JPB: Bournemouth, Wolves, Nottingham Forest.

AC: Bournemouth, Southampton, Nottingham Forest.

GC: Gah, I hate this. Nottingham Forest, Bournemouth, Wolves.

Is this reassuring or terrifying?

https://theathletic.com/3731922/2022/10/28/premier-league-relegation-predictions/

30 minutes ago, KingsX said:

The Athletic put up a brief roundtable with four of their League-wide writers.  Bournemouth and Forest were unanimous picks for relegation.  None mentioned us.

Who are you predicting to be relegated?

OK: Nottingham Forest, Bournemouth and Southampton. I’ve said them from the start and while I haven’t seen a great deal to justify such pessimism, nor can I see three teams who look more vulnerable.

JPB: Bournemouth, Wolves, Nottingham Forest.

AC: Bournemouth, Southampton, Nottingham Forest.

GC: Gah, I hate this. Nottingham Forest, Bournemouth, Wolves.

Is this reassuring or terrifying?

https://theathletic.com/3731922/2022/10/28/premier-league-relegation-predictions/

I'd be happier if they had included us rather us being a surprise relegation.

I think generally, the 'experts' look at our position for the last few years, think we've quality and it's a blip.  Like when Arsenal were in the bottom 3 the other year. No one realistically thought they'd go. I'm hoping that applies to us too.

15 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The squad we have is far too good, it’s a not a lazy “too big to go down” because club size doesn’t correlate with quality.

If we went down it’d be the single worst managerial season in the PL ever 

Being "good" is as much about consistency and character as it is about potential technical ability. We have been seriously lacking in the first of these. This is partly due to Rodgers and his one dimensional tactical obsessions and absence of personality but also the core strength of character of a number of our players.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The squad we have is far too good, it’s a not a lazy “too big to go down” because club size doesn’t correlate with quality.

If we went down it’d be the single worst managerial season in the PL ever 

Correct. Only thing close to comparable is when Leeds initially went down. It would be a complete scandal for this side to go down. I'm hoping it's more of a Spurs Juande Ramos situation though and it's looking like it might be.

The quality of our squad suggests we should be fine, which I think is what influences the outside view of us.

On the other hand, our three wins this season have been against fellow strugglers Forest, Leeds, and Wolves. 

Our wins towards the end of last season were against Southampton (tosh), Watford (already relegated), Norwich (already relegated).

Our last league win against a decent side was probably Palace at home in April. So it will be a bit longer before I'll be convinced we've turned a corner...

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

We aren't "too good to go down", no team is. Even Everton really flirted with danger the other year. But I think if we can survive through to the WC and be around 15th with a 2-3 point buffer, we'll be ok.

That January window, though, is crucial to us improving. 

Yes, but eventually Everton were too good to go down. A couple of their quality players including Richarlison saved the day for them. Same applied to Leeds last season. 

50 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

We aren't "too good to go down", no team is. Even Everton really flirted with danger the other year. But I think if we can survive through to the WC and be around 15th with a 2-3 point buffer, we'll be ok.

Well yes Everton did flirt but in the end they didn’t go down…they were too good to go down.

Having quality players over 38 games counts in the end. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Everton have and had a shit squad. We are too good to go down. 

Too BIG to go down is a myth but too good isn't. One is a subjective vague concept the other is just a reflection of measurable quality. 

We'll be fine. We're going to have a depressingly poor season by our own standards but I guarantee we'll be comfortably mid table even with Rodgers. 

The big issue the premier league is there's too many London clubs, could do with a couple being relegated. But in recent times we also to get an extra London team promoted every season. Least season Fulham, year before Brentford, Fulham before that again. It's possible now that QPR may make a return. I'm hoping to see the likes of Luton Town, Blackpool, Preston promoted. Some really unfancied teams coming up. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

17 teams are every year.

• Like 1

Was it the 02/03 Wedt Ham team that was dubbed “To good to go down”? 

David James

Thomas Repka

Nigel Winterburn

Lee Bowyer

Michael Carrick

Trevor Sinlcair

Jermaine Defoe

Paulo Di Canio

Lee Ferdinand

Glen Johnson

Joe Cole

Anton Ferdinand

They took 17 points from the first 72. (24 games), average of 0.7 per game. 

Then 25 points from 42 points. (14 games) 1.7 per game. 

You’re never to good, to not go down. They waited to long to change coach and only did due to the late Glenn Roeder collapsing I believe? 

2 hours ago, Sly said:

Was it the 02/03 Wedt Ham team that was dubbed “To good to go down”? 

David James

Thomas Repka

Nigel Winterburn

Lee Bowyer

Michael Carrick

Trevor Sinlcair

Jermaine Defoe

Paulo Di Canio

Lee Ferdinand

Glen Johnson

Joe Cole

Anton Ferdinand

They took 17 points from the first 72. (24 games), average of 0.7 per game. 

Then 25 points from 42 points. (14 games) 1.7 per game. 

You’re never to good, to not go down. They waited to long to change coach and only did due to the late Glenn Roeder collapsing I believe? 

they just got incredibly unlucky in a one off season 

surely 42 points is enough 

Edited by st albans fox