Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

I think Marsch is too ‘open’. As a result, he’s undermined himself when he rightly needs to crack the whip on poor performances. Be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Also can’t help looking at him and thinking Steve Kerr is having a go at managing a football team. Looks and personality 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

I find the comparisons to Ted Lasso quite amusing and so does Marsch

He could very easily let that get under his skin, but he seems to treat it with the amount of seriousness it deserves.

5 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

People keep harping on about the fact Marsch is American and how that is some kind of character flaw in football but he’s considerably more honest and likeable than every single British manager in the league. 

He’s not likeable. Whiny little bitch.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

I think Marsch is too ‘open’. As a result, he’s undermined himself when he rightly needs to crack the whip on poor performances. Be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Also can’t help looking at him and thinking Steve Kerr is having a go at managing a football team. Looks and personality 

You say that as if it’s a bad thing.  Kerr is one of the best coaches in modern NBA history and an equally remarkable human being with an extremely compelling personal history.

“Too open” is a pretty hilarious criticism to me - very “Friday Night Lights” (there’s a football reference for you).  Jesse is a smart guy.  Graduated from one of the top 5 universities in the world (Princeton) despite not having rich parents to buy him in.  Named his sons after Greg Maddux (one of the best and probably the smartest pitchers in MLB history) and John Lennon.  He thinks about everything he says, believe me.

I recognize it because I’ve been trained in it myself, but Marsch is clearly a practitioner of servant leadership, which is a very specific management style with a very specific set of principles.  Modeled on people like Teddy Roosevelt, the Dalai Lama, Lincoln, Mandela.  It’s kind of the antithesis of traditional football/soccer management which is why old-school fans are often thrown by it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Adster said:

People don't actually take these shitty tables seriously do they? 

"Squad value" the most subjective term in football. 

Yea I bet it’s money spent on them.

Haaland went for £60m but let’s face it who other than Man C could afford his wages. They should add the contract values to players too and you’d see the top 6 numbers greatly boosted.

15 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

I quite like the guy to be honest. Seems honest and passionate. Time will tell if he’s any good. 

Just not sure I understand the hype.

Failed at Montreal

Did okay at NYRB

Did very well at Salzburg, but they've won 13 titles in a row and could probably perform just as well without a manager...

Failed at Leipzig, his first real test

Record at Leeds is quickly going the way of Leipzig.

One thing I will say is the players seem to absolutely love him, especially the ones he's brought with him from previous clubs.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Phenom said:

He’s not likeable. Whiny little bitch.

He is whiny.

FT against Villa he criticised how they played. There would have been an uproar if someone like Pep or Klopp came out and said they didn't like how the opposition played.

I still think Leeds will go down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

He is whiny.

FT against Villa he criticised how they played. There would have been an uproar if someone like Pep or Klopp came out and said they didn't like how the opposition played.

I still think Leeds will go down.

Klopp is a massive whiner. Pep is not immune from it either - he was whinging that we defended deep against them on Saturday and made it hard for them to score goals.

10 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Failed at Montreal

Did okay at NYRB

Did very well at Salzburg, but they've won 13 titles in a row and could probably perform just as well without a manager...

One thing I will say is the players seem to absolutely love him, especially the ones he's brought with him from previous clubs.

Leeds is a full 6 points below their expected total based on xG and xGA.  They're ahead of Chelsea in both categories.  "Quickly going the way of Leipzig" is a pretty wild mischaracterization at this point.

We'll see what happens.  Had big success at New York and Salzburg, got a quick hook at Leipzig, saved Leeds when they really should have been relegated and he had about a League 1 level squad of players to call on.  Maybe he has what it takes to succeed in the PL and maybe not, but I don't get the sense that Leeds is going to knee-jerk fire him.  They brought in a lot of players specifically to suit his system (and who never would have joined if he weren't there), who are performing at a high level.  This seems like a long-term project for them.

18 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Failed at Montreal

Did okay at NYRB

There was a lot of hype about Brendan. In this case Jesse seems like a nice bloke. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Klopp is a massive whiner. Pep is not immune from it either - he was whinging that we defended deep against them on Saturday and made it hard for them to score goals.

They are both whiners but my point is so is Marsch.

Although obviously he has better celebrations.

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

same old tactic with Pep. Manipulate managers into playing a way that is easier for them to win. He always bangs on that drum, maybe he’s just a purest and it’s not manipulation and he just wants a good game of football.

But if that’s the case advocate for a level playing field 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

You say that as if it’s a bad thing.  Kerr is one of the best coaches in modern NBA history and an equally remarkable human being with an extremely compelling personal history.

“Too open” is a pretty hilarious criticism to me - very “Friday Night Lights” (there’s a football reference for you).  Jesse is a smart guy.  Graduated from one of the top 5 universities in the world (Princeton) despite not having rich parents to buy him in.  Named his sons after Greg Maddux (one of the best and probably the smartest pitchers in MLB history) and John Lennon.  He thinks about everything he says, believe me.

I recognize it because I’ve been trained in it myself, but Marsch is clearly a practitioner of servant leadership, which is a very specific management style with a very specific set of principles.  Modeled on people like Teddy Roosevelt, the Dalai Lama, Lincoln, Mandela.  It’s kind of the antithesis of traditional football/soccer management which is why old-school fans are often thrown by it.

I like my managers psychotic, macho and looking bloody good wearing a cap or a pair of fresh white trainers. 

Battle fever for the win. 

Also did you know Sean Dyche’s son is named Max. It’s believed it’s after Max Ernst, a pioneer of the surrealist art movement. 

• Haha 2