Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

Newcastle deserve a big amount of praise but no doubt many of our fans will be irked by them as they are doing what we used to do under Rodgers in his first 2 years.

Not even spent that much money and the squad before Howe joined was mediocre so he really is maximising every ounce out of them right now and momentum is everything.

Will be interesting to see if they last the course where they then will seriously start spending.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, woznotwos said:

Still can’t believe after this many games there’s only 6 points splitting the bottom half of the league. Has it ever been this right before ?

Never been a more clear indictment of how crap the league actually is. “Best league in the world” apparently. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Md9 said:

He should have pushed harder last season to leave before Man City brought haaland . Maybe Man Utd or Chelsea will pay the money for him but not to many more . He will be gutted deep down if the only thing he has when he retires is scoring more than shearer which is a good achievement but surely you would want a team trophy as well 

Apparently Bayern are interested in going for him next summer

31 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Apparently Bayern are interested in going for him next summer

I have seen that aswell just depends on how much he wants that shearer record. If he has the chance to move and doesn’t take it he might not get another 

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

They've spent £210 million in the last two windows. I agree that Howe has improved players already there but they've spent substantially.

Honestly don't think that's that much, about a 3rd of it was on Isak alone and they are excelling without him.

It's the optimum performance levels of the likes of Almiron, Joelinton and Dan Burn that make me pretty gob smacked.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Newcastle deserve a big amount of praise but no doubt many of our fans will be irked by them as they are doing what we used to do under Rodgers in his first 2 years.

Not even spent that much money and the squad before Howe joined was mediocre so he really is maximising every ounce out of them right now and momentum is everything.

Will be interesting to see if they last the course where they then will seriously start spending.

Since when has around 200m not been much money?

They have spent more money in the last two window then we have in the last 4 season.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Rightly or wrongly I don't think he'll last. 

They'll sack him off for a "big" name sooner or later. 

Funny thing is Potter was the fan favourite for the job in the first place. The fans made it quite clear they didn't want pochettino. Can't blame the board on this one. In fact the reason Potter was appointed was because they wanted to show they listen to the fans. Chelsea fans don't know when there well off at times, title race over yes. Top 4 finish still very possible, still in the champions league, just about still in the league cup and the fa cup to come. Surely any manager would be given time with so much still to play for.

Typically though Chelsea will react sooner or later, unless there within the top four by February I can see the pulling the trigger. 

12 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Season isn't over yet, long way to go.

I've always liked Howe, did a superb job at Bournemouth and a manager I'd have always liked here but they have spent money to get where they currently are in the league.

The only thing tht irks me is that it's Newcastle. Can't be doing with their fanbase and media attention. A club I'd rather win nothing.

• Like 3

I'm posting this in our PL thread as I think all news regarding Marinakis actions do have a certain impact on his 2nd team, Forest. 

Last night this happened in the Greek League:

The Danish ref (I think the so called "Big 5" there are using foreign refs for the games between them), consulted the VAR and awarded a penalty for the incident shown on the video (can't find another one, the Greek League is heavily copyrighted). 

Marinakis came with a statement accusing the Danish ref, the Greek FA and the Greek government for corruption. What follows is more bizarre as he's deciding until tomorrow whether to withdraw Olympiakos from the league. 

I'm quite sure his official statement will be investigated by UEFA and it will be interesting how this will pan out. I'm sure Premier League and our FA will also follow closely the case as he's also the owner of a PL team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Not really a surprise. I think he did a decent job on the whole. I don't rate their squad particularly. 

I dunno, I don't have much sympathy. I wouldn't want him here personally. They've been ludicrously streaky with a hugely soft belly, like us under Rodgers seriously intensified. 

I don't think any manager should ever survive two 9-0s tbf. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

???

£200m or so in this calendar year isn't it?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm irked by their owners and the fact that they passed the fit and proper test.

I like the way they play and Eddie Howe though.

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I dunno, I don't have much sympathy. I wouldn't want him here personally. They've been ludicrously streaky with a hugely soft belly, like us under Rodgers seriously intensified. 

I don't think any manager should ever survive two 9-0s tbf. 

I get that, but I would put their squad among the worst five in the division. He did well initially after taking over from the mess left over by Pellegrino and Hughes. After that it was pretty Sean Dyche-esque but with slightly better football.