Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

20 minutes ago, Cincinnati Fox said:

When a state buys them going to be hilarious to see them all justifying it

i think liverpool are actually worth buying compared to most of the other 'rich six'. i would expect american funds to be keen - with their enormous global fanbase, there is dosh to be made over the next 15 years as the broadcasting rights evolve into a PL platform.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

i think liverpool are actually worth buying compared to most of the other 'rich six'. i would expect american funds to be keen - with their enormous global fanbase, there is dosh to be made over the next 15 years as the broadcasting rights evolve into a PL platform.

Yep, along with Manure they have that worldwide brand recognition, up there with Real Madrid and Barca.

42 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The worst thing is it wouldn't take much investment for Liverpool to be scarily good. They've near enough gone toe-to-toe with Man City with relatively modest spends.

Could be a different story now Michael Edwards has gone though to be fair. They spent unbelievably well over the past few years and he was a big part of that.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Yes, we've spent a lot of money on new players in the past 12 months, but Isak accounts for about a 3rd of it and he's only played 2 1/2 games. Players like Burn, Pope, Targett and Trippier were each signed for less than £15m. Burn was 3rd choice CB at Brighton, Pope had just been relegated, Targett was second choice LB at Aston Villa. Botman and Bruno were expensive at c£38m but neither were out of reach for other teams.

I'd agree it's as much about Howe's coaching and the improvement of existing playings like Almiron, Schar, Joelinton, and Longstaff. 

But for balance, two £40m players is not the cheap deals you're making them out to be. That's 2 signings that are each bigger than the transfer record of 11 current PL clubs... 

It's only the big 6 + Everton (£45m) and West Ham (£45m) who have ever spent more. 

So if you're argument is "we're not actually buying our success" then citing TWO signings that are bigger than the transfer records of almost the entire 'non-Big-6' part of the division isn't a great look.  

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, TheFish said:

A Newcastle fan's perspective here (and I'm not on the wind up or anything). 

The work Howe has done on the training ground and in the matches is unreal. We've gone from the most passive side in the league to one of the hardest pressing, from a team that gave up chances for fun to the meanest defence in the league. Shot shy and without creativity, now we're 3rd for goals scored and chances created. It's reductive to claim that's just down to the money. 

Yes, we've spent a lot of money on new players in the past 12 months, but Isak accounts for about a 3rd of it and he's only played 2 1/2 games. Players like Burn, Pope, Targett and Trippier were each signed for less than £15m. Burn was 3rd choice CB at Brighton, Pope had just been relegated, Targett was second choice LB at Aston Villa. Botman and Bruno were expensive at c£38m but neither were out of reach for other teams. None of them are on eye-watering wages either (well, in terms of PL players anyway). My point is, this isn't largesse, it's good recruitment. 

When you look at the Newcastle team, among the stand out performers so far are Almiron, Schar, Joelinton, and Longstaff. All were there pre takeover, most of them for reasonable fees. Howe's success isn't because he's added a £60m forward, a £40m midfielder and a £35m defender who are carrying the team. It's because he's a damn good coach and is getting a tune out of £3.6m defenders(Schar), £40m flops (Joelinton), and the Paraguayan butt of Jack Grealish's jokes (Almiron). 

As an aside, in the summer Newcastle (£122m) spent less than; Chelsea (£251m), Man Utd(£214m), West Ham(£164m), Spurs(£153m), Nott Forest (£141m), Man City (£126m) and Wolves (£123m). Our Net spend (£122m) was less than Chelsea (£210m), Man Utd (£205m), West Ham(£148m) & Forest(£135m).

We're above all of them, bar Man City and if you look at the underlying performance metrics, we're there because of Howe.

And while that is all very true and I've a lot of respect for Howe, what are your feelings on the ownership?

How would you feel if it was Sunderland, Boro or any other club being taken over?

What are/ were your feelings on Man City and PSG? 

2 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I don’t think a sovereign wealth fund or nation state wash with Liverpool at all. Possibly one of the only clubs who I don’t think will kneel for it. A lot of heads in the club who would stop it happening. 

I think it would be down to the owners frankly. Doesn’t really matter what the old heads say or think. It’s money driven. That being said I would think the new owners will likely not come from the Arab lands. 

3 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I don’t think a sovereign wealth fund or nation state wash with Liverpool at all. Possibly one of the only clubs who I don’t think will kneel for it. A lot of heads in the club who would stop it happening. 

image.jpeg.643038a9dbe9f036fa4e6f565e2f9d33.jpeg

image.jpeg.581f5fd8e56e1a1c879b97b4cc8349c3.jpeg

Edited by MattFox

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

Could be a different story now Michael Edwards has gone though to be fair. They spent unbelievably well over the past few years and he was a big part of that.

Their analytics/recruitment depts run deeper than just Edwards. Ian Graham is possibly the most intelligent bloke in the game

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Their analytics/recruitment depts run deeper than just Edwards. Ian Graham is possibly the most intelligent bloke in the game

Ill take a bit of a deeper dive, only ever been aware of Edwards

I hope Graham didn't call the Nunez transfer :D

51 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

FSG reportedly only want £3b for Liverpool. A bargain in the grand scheme. You’d think a lot will jump at them now. 

This could be a good investment for the guy that won 2.04B in the Powerball lottery in USA. He can put 1.5B up front and take the rest as a loan. Even better, he can relocate Liverpool FC to his hometown in California after the sale. 

2 hours ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

This could be a good investment for the guy that won 2.04B in the Powerball lottery in USA. He can put 1.5B up front and take the rest as a loan. Even better, he can relocate Liverpool FC to his hometown in California after the sale. 

I heard the Dippers were going to pool all there giros and own the club themselves.

On 08/11/2022 at 16:32, filbertway said:

Liverpool have spent £5m net more than Man City over the last 5 years.

3 hours ago, Manini said:

Nathan Jones to Southampton then by the sounds of it. Interesting one, big loss for Luton. I thought he may have been considered for the Brighton job given previous links there. 

Deserved a chance in the PL, done a terrific job at Luton.

22 hours ago, MattFox said:

image.jpeg.643038a9dbe9f036fa4e6f565e2f9d33.jpeg

image.jpeg.581f5fd8e56e1a1c879b97b4cc8349c3.jpeg

Most fans couldn't care less about virtue signalling, they just want success for their team. In the 90s Gadaffi was a major invester in a Serie A team and South American football was awash with drug money. Liverpool at 3B with their global reach, compared to say the 4B Chelsea sold for, look like a bargain. I'm sure the billionaire vultures are circling.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Deserved a chance in the PL, done a terrific job at Luton.

Fair play to Southampton for taking a relative punt too. He certainly seems to have paid his dues so fair play to him, interested to see how it goes. 

• Like 1