Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

Can’t see Jones working out - their squad is poor and his success has all been at Luton owing to him being so involved in shaping their rebuild.

Everton, Wolves and Southampton will be battling for 17th.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Can’t see Jones working out - their squad is poor and his success has all been at Luton owing to him being so involved in shaping their rebuild.

Everton, Wolves and Southampton will be battling for 17th.

Everton & Soton have the experience and knack, to push themselves into the zones above relegation area….

Now with WCup and unknown effects, I prefer to wait until Febuary before I look towards the big drop candidates.
I reckon a few strong teams will be involved.

Just now, fuchsntf said:

Everton & Soton have the experience and knack, to push themselves into the zones above relegation area….

Now with WCup and unknown effects, I prefer to wait until Febuary before I look towards the big drop candidates.
I reckon a few strong teams will be involved.

Everton are in trouble because they don’t have enough goals in them. Gray, Iwobi, Gordon et al. are good for 5 goals a season max and Calvert-Lewin hasn’t been at it since he started wearing frocks

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Nathan Jones to Southampton just seems unambitious, like they are already planning for the championship.

Anyone think it's a good appointment for them?

Didn't work out for him at Stoke, but he's been outstanding at Luton.

Sometimes some clubs are a good fit and others aren't.

I think he's worth a punt, more so than another random foreigner picked from a European league.

Fair play to Southampton for taking a punt.

Southampton are also skint.

He's a young manager and will obviously want to make it a success, if it isn't, chances are he'll never manage in the Premier League again.

He's a smarter appointment than Lampard or Gerrard. He's worked his way up without living off a playing reputation. 

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Sounds mostly reasonable, just a shame that it sounds like they've agreed to give European qualifiers a pass on the League Cup. Sure, arguably makes it easier to win and get a Conference League spot if you're in it, but completely devalues the competition in the same way adding U21 teams did to the EFL Trophy.

Liverpool probably can't wait to get a pass on almost being humiliated by Derby... they'd have to qualify for Europe first though. lol 

Edited by OntarioFox

4 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I think he's worth a punt, more so than another random foreigner picked from a European league.

He's a young manager and will obviously want to make it a success, if it isn't, chances are he'll never manage in the Premier League again.

He's a smarter appointment than Lampard or Gerrard. He's worked his way up without living off a playing reputation. 

i think it’s a good club for him to join as well. They don’t have any big names really, which might have been harder for him to get respect from. 

Stoke was a seriously poisoned chalice. I think the job would be hard for anyone given the standard of their squad but he might surprise a few people if he can get the players to buy into him. 

7 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

Sounds mostly reasonable, just a shame that it sounds like they've agreed to give European qualifiers a pass on the League Cup. Sure, arguably makes it easier to win and get a Conference League spot if you're in it, but completely devalues the competition in the same way adding U21 teams did to the EFL Trophy.

Liverpool probably can't wait to get a pass on almost being humiliated by Derby... they'd have to qualify for Europe first though. lol 

I don't mind it really, as it feels devalued anyway when weaker sides are put out. 

But I totally get why it's low down on the priority list when you compare the money that could be won in the other competitions. 

8 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Saints ain’t skint. Got a Serbian owner worth a Bob or too now. It’s cost them £4 mil to get Jones from Luton. 

It appears (and fair play) they want to run a sustainable model of investing in youth and players/staff on the up. 

7 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Saints ain’t skint. Got a Serbian owner worth a Bob or too now. It’s cost them £4 mil to get Jones from Luton. 

It appears (and fair play) they want to run a sustainable model of investing in youth and players/staff on the up. 

It may work if there’s some acceptance that relegation is a possibility.

44 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Can't help but feel we're going to see some very reserved performances across the league this weekend ahead of the World Cup lol 

A dramatic increase in pulling out of tackles me thinks!

On the contrary, keep Madders well away from Bowen - he seemed a likely candidate until West Ham's torrid start to the season, and he's got a nasty tackle in him. :whistle: