Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

4 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Most likely like Joey Barton's which was just £5-10 in play bets spread over a long period of time.

Such a stupid rule, assuming it's just betting on random games. 

Some of Joey's weren't spread betting for example.

Manchester City v Fulham (28 April 2006) Backed Joey Barton to score first goal £3 (Bet lost)* lol

Why is it a stupid rule, its to stop corruption in the game.

• Like 1

Just now, coolhandfox said:

Some of Joey's weren't spread betting for example.

Manchester City v Fulham (28 April 2006) Backed Joey Barton to score first goal £3 (Bet lost)* lol

Why is it a stupid rule, its to stop corruption in the game.

Because it's using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. We could ban attendances at football, it's stop standing in stadiums.

£3! lol massive corruption

If Xhaka has £250,000 on him to get the first yellow and smashes someone after 20 seconds then that'd be quite obvious. Put a limit on the stakes even, max bets of £20 quid for players. A blanket ban is such overkill.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sly said:

These rules are a lot more lenient than in the US, where players are banned from most sports gambling.

You would have to be something of an idiot to break them once... but 232 times? Insane.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Why? 

Too lazy to implement rules that allow it but have checks in place to pick up clearly fraudulent activity (even though bookies have this already and can easily alert the FA, which is probably what they already do)

Just ban it all and it's easy to manage. A lovely simple black and white rule with no nuance.

Just now, filbertway said:

Because it's using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. We could ban attendances at football, it's stop standing in stadiums.

If Xhaka has £250,000 on him to get the first yellow and smashes someone after 20 seconds then that'd be quite obvious. Put a limit on the stakes even, max bets of £20 quid for players. A blanket ban is such overkill.

Life not always about money, it about principles, and values. 

Why do they need to bet on football, lot of other stuff to bet on.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

The problem is if someone bets £3 to get the first yellow, and gets the first yellow, it seems small. Until you see what the bookie did with that info.

Players are limited on what the can't bet on... if you want to gamble there are plenty of ways that don't break the rules.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Having the FA as some form of overseer, which is what you are suggesting, would be a ridiculously expensive business and they clearly could not make even a half decent job of it. These blokes aren’t everyday people, they don’t need it for kicks, one of their conditions is not to bet on football.

Go bet on horse racing, it’s hardly restrictive.

• Like 1

Just now, coolhandfox said:

Life not always about money, it about principles, and values. 

Why do they need to bet on football, lot of other stuff to bet on.  

I imagine a lot of them grew up doing it, bit of a saturday morning tradition to look at the fixtures and have a punt. 

I don't think we'll agree on this, as we have fundamentally different starting points, but I understand where you're coming from :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Too lazy to implement rules that allow it but have checks in place to pick up clearly fraudulent activity (even though bookies have this already and can easily alert the FA, which is probably what they already do)

Just ban it all and it's easy to manage. A lovely simple black and white rule with no nuance.

Agreed. 

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I imagine a lot of them grew up doing it, bit of a saturday morning tradition to look at the fixtures and have a punt. 

I don't think we'll agree on this, as we have fundamentally different starting points, but I understand where you're coming from :)

No worries :thumbup:

Just now, The Bear said:

If he had a £5 acca every week for 4 years it's hardly a conflict of interest. 

Depends what he's bet on. 

Isn't the fact that pro-footballers can't bet on anything trump the 'depends what he's bet on' aspect?

Footballers know they're not allowed to bet on football. Simple as that. The fact FA have charged him with 232 separate offences makes me think it's football he has bet on, and there'll be more than just a slap on the wrist or small warning/punishment. 

The blanket ban is in place is purely as a preventative measure to stop match-fixing or spot-fixing. To stop the likelihood of forced outcomes that affect a match. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Isn't the fact that pro-footballers can't bet on anything trump the 'depends what he's bet on' aspect?

Footballers know they're not allowed to bet on football. Simple as that. The fact FA have charged him with 232 separate offences makes me think it's football he has bet on, and there'll be more than just a slap on the wrist or small warning/punishment. 

The blanket ban is in place is purely as a preventative measure to stop match-fixing or spot-fixing. To stop the likelihood of forced outcomes that affect a match. 

Lots of professions have ethics rules that it is east to say "but what about"...I couldn't play the lottery in the US state I lived in (well, I could play, but couldn't win anything) because my sister worked for the same Big 5 accounting firm that audited the lottery, even though she worked in a different department in a different state. The firm had over 100,000 employees: The familial tie ban affected over 1 million people. Too bad.

The thing is, footballers can bet on football, as long as their team isn't in the competition: A PL player can bet on a League 1 match, he just can't bet on a PL match (or FA Cup or League Cup match, etc.) It is ludicrous for someone making over £1 million per year to cry about the fact he can't bet on a competition he is participating in, even if only tangentially. Take a deep breath and take a punt on the cricket instead.

3 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Lots of professions have ethics rules that it is east to say "but what about"...I couldn't play the lottery in the US state I lived in (well, I could play, but couldn't win anything) because my sister worked for the same Big 5 accounting firm that audited the lottery, even though she worked in a different department in a different state. The firm had over 100,000 employees: The familial tie ban affected over 1 million people. Too bad.

The thing is, footballers can bet on football, as long as their team isn't in the competition: A PL player can bet on a League 1 match, he just can't bet on a PL match (or FA Cup or League Cup match, etc.) It is ludicrous for someone making over £1 million per year to cry about the fact he can't bet on a competition he is participating in, even if only tangentially. Take a deep breath and take a punt on the cricket instead.

I thought it was a complete ban on all football, for footballers. But yes, as you infer it’s not difficult to stick to the rules, there’s always plenty of alternatives. Maybe they should start doing 10p lucky 15s on the horses

27 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

The thing is, footballers can bet on football, as long as their team isn't in the competition: A PL player can bet on a League 1 match, he just can't bet on a PL match (or FA Cup or League Cup match, etc.)

I am pretty confident that that is not the case. Nobody playing at or above a certain level of non-league football can bet on any football anywhere.

37 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Yeah I think this is incorrect. Professional footballers aren’t allowed to bet on any football, anywhere. 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Thanks 1