Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

29 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Yeah I think this is incorrect. Professional footballers aren’t allowed to bet on any football, anywhere. 

37 minutes ago, Guest said:

I am pretty confident that that is not the case. Nobody playing at or above a certain level of non-league football can bet on any football anywhere.

37 minutes ago, Guest said:

I am pretty confident that that is not the case. Nobody playing at or above a certain level of non-league football can bet on any football anywhere.

I am only basing my assertion on betting on football on the FA Betting guidelines posted earlier...

https://www.thefa.com/TheFA/~/media/Files/PDF/TheFA/Rules_Regs/2011/5848 FA Betting Booklet.ash

According to this document a footballer can bet on games in competitions he is in no way involved in, and the examples it gives involve professional teams, so the Championship player betting on a game in the Championship or a League 2 player betting on a FA Cup match.

Before looking at that booklet, I would have assumed no betting on football (or even sports) at all, but that's not what it says...

But I am only basing what I said on the FA Betting Booklet itself.

17 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I am only basing my assertion on betting on football on the FA Betting guidelines posted earlier...

https://www.thefa.com/TheFA/~/media/Files/PDF/TheFA/Rules_Regs/2011/5848 FA Betting Booklet.ash

According to this document a footballer can bet on games in competitions he is in no way involved in, and the examples it gives involve professional teams, so the Championship player betting on a game in the Championship or a League 2 player betting on a FA Cup match.

Before looking at that booklet, I would have assumed no betting on football (or even sports) at all, but that's not what it says...

Thank you for that, interesting read. I’d read the below from the PFA so God knows haha. 

76118CED-790C-480D-A415-9A6721E182E4.png

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Old document that. Regulations were strengthened in 2014 to ban any sort of football betting for players in professional leagues and the top few semi-pro leagues.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Think they did one or two but 200 is very serious!!

The Trippier one was his best mate placing multiple bets on his move to Atletico Madrid apparently unbeknownst to him, He was banned from all football-related activity for 10 weeks and fined £70,000 for 7 breaches 

Sturridge got a 4 month ban from all footballing activities and £150,000 fine for 11 breaches 

Edited by jammie82uk
  • Like 1

The fella made all these bets in the period when he was playing in leagues 1 and 2.  then 1 year for Brentford 

I imagine he was earning a max of £1500/week through the first three years and perhaps £7.5k at Brentford in 2020 plus goal bonus’ 

he’s in a financially very different place now 

2 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Yeah I think this is incorrect. Professional footballers aren’t allowed to bet on any football, anywhere. 

rightfully so. they all have wide football circles that could effect outcomes technically. an old coach working in league 1 telling them their star players are injured but it’s not public knowledge. 

just better to keep it out of it. very daft by toney but worth noting this was way before he was a brentford man 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The fella made all these bets in the period when he was playing in leagues 1 and 2.  then 1 year for Brentford 

I imagine he was earning a max of £1500/week through the first three years and perhaps £7.5k at Brentford in 2020 plus goal bonus’ 

he’s in a financially very different place now 

All the more problematic - the lower it happens in the pyramid, it’s more suspect to actual actions happen to make winning bets occur. 

You can bet on as low as level 3/tier7 (even lower with FA Vase) 

I feel sorry for the Brentford fans. He's pretty much their most important player. If he gets banned for a lengthy period of time, they'll suffer for it. If he's bet on games he's been involved with, the ban hammer will strike hard. Brentford has a betting company on the shirt and an owner who made his fortune on betting. Somewhat ironic.

Edited by GoonerJeeves
  • Like 3

If he wasnt selected by Southgate due to this... does that suggest some issues with the "leaking" of his trial results, seems dodgy that the England manager would be informed well in advance of the decision being made?

31 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

Gambling is an addiction that is extremely difficult to overcome. I have suffered from this addiction & don't consider myself an idiot. 

you’re not a professional footballer. He should have never been in a situation to become addicted. You’re not addicted before you start something, that’s a choice… that’s where he’s an idiot. 

3 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

All the more problematic - the lower it happens in the pyramid, it’s more suspect to actual actions happen to make winning bets occur. 

You can bet on as low as level 3/tier7 (even lower with FA Vase) 

Me & 2 friends won quite a bit of money a few years back as the brother in-law of a league 2 player had been told that they were putting their youth team out against a very low ranked non-league team. 

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

you’re not a professional footballer. He should have never been in a situation to become addicted. You’re not addicted before you start something, that’s a choice… that’s where he’s an idiot. 

You have a very simplistic view on how addictions work. May you and your family be fortunate enough to avoid the pitfalls life can offer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Gambling is an addiction that is extremely difficult to overcome. I have suffered from this addiction & don't consider myself an idiot. 

Firstly, has anyone anywhere (and I'm not asking rhetorically I'm being serious) actually said Toney has an addiction? 

Secondly, even if he does, he could bet on literally anything other than football. 

I mean how do you even get started to develop an addiction in the first place if you haven't dabbled to begin with? 

Look, if he has a genuine problem I'll be sympathetic to a point but you still have to be wildly moronic as a footballer to bet on football. 

33 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Firstly, has anyone anywhere (and I'm not asking rhetorically I'm being serious) actually said Toney has an addiction? 

Secondly, even if he does, he could bet on literally anything other than football. 

I mean how do you even get started to develop an addiction in the first place if you haven't dabbled to begin with? 

Look, if he has a genuine problem I'll be sympathetic to a point but you still have to be wildly moronic as a footballer to bet on football. 

The FA are only concerned with bets made on football. They don't care if he made a thousand bets on horses or darts.

How do you get started to develop any addiction ?   The first toke, the first smoke, the first whiskey or the first flutter. Addictions start easily ..

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

He might not have even placed the bets. He could just be connected to the placing of the bets, which is still prohibited. 

Even club shop staff aren’t allowed to bet on football. 

9 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I’ll be shocked if the bets are on games against his own team. Wouldn’t be surprised if the bets were about him scoring.