Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

8 minutes ago, GoonerJeeves said:

Thomas Frank must feel let down. He was out endorsing him for the World Cup, and I doubt he knew about this. Then again if he is addicted to gambling, he needs to get some help. You don't solve that alone.

I'd be surprised if Southgate was aware but his own club manager wasn't. 

I actually don't think England/Southgate knew, or at least the full extent of it. I think he just preferred Wilson over Toney. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GoonerJeeves said:

Thomas Frank must feel let down. He was out endorsing him for the World Cup, and I doubt he knew about this. Then again if he is addicted to gambling, he needs to get some help. You don't solve that alone.

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I'd be surprised if Southgate was aware but his own club manager wasn't. 

I actually don't think England/Southgate knew, or at least the full extent of it. I think he just preferred Wilson over Toney. 

My Brentford fan workmate was in earlier and he said this was already news more than ten days ago when Toney tweeted that he was under investigation for historic indiscretions 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20342878/toney-available-england-world-cup-fa-betting-investigation/

it wasn’t a secret 

49 minutes ago, GoonerJeeves said:

If Southgate  knew there was an investigation, it would be surprising if Franks didn't. 

There's not been any suggestion of a gambling addiction, he'd placed 1 bet a week or something like that. I'm no expert but the stories from ex footballers who have said they had an addiction, were betting serious money,  multi times a day. Once a week doesn't sound addiction level. 

A hefty ban is incoming, regardless. 

10 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

If Southgate  knew there was an investigation, it would be surprising if Franks didn't. 

There's not been any suggestion of a gambling addiction, he'd placed 1 bet a week or something like that. I'm no expert but the stories from ex footballers who have said they had an addiction, were betting serious money,  multi times a day. Once a week doesn't sound addiction level. 

A hefty ban is incoming, regardless. 

I think if he has bet on games he was involved with, it will be very lengthy. Merson was in a bad way with gambling, Shilton as well. I think it is difficult to assess this on the outside. Whatever the reasons for his gambling, it will hurt Brentford if he is suspended for a long time. He's an excellent player.

6 hours ago, GoonerJeeves said:

it was 232 bets over four years...not in a week

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

That's like saying someone of vast wealth should never have gotten in to a situation where their mental health becomes a serious problem, choices and all that and finances available to tackle it. Not a helpful view and wildly incorrect as well. 

Gambling like any addiction isn't formed immediately but it can be so subtle that to simply say because someone chose to do something fairly innocuous to start with means they are an idiot to have then become addicted is lazy.

It's funny though because, I as a compulsive gambler in recovery do see myself as an idiot for my behaviour when I was completely controlled by my addiction to gambling and effecting the lives of everyone around me.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out if he were to declare he is addicted to gambling. Many sports stars have had inconsistent help or empathy from the public / authorities when their vices have been exposed. For example some footballers have had support for addiction to coke but others when failing a drug test for something similar or at least not considered performance enhancing and they are vilified. 

Toney might well be addicted to gambling but his true destruction is evidently not on football betting. To give an example of how that is possible or why it would be important is because addictions are very complex. I used to bet very modestly on sports betting such as football but I was an animal when it came to chasing small losses on such bets by hitting online roulette or slots, I'd place £5 bets that any higher stake than that would fill me with horror or refusal to part with anything more and yet as a consequence when the bet had lost I could be thousands of pounds down on roulette in a warped attempt to get back what was mine from a minor loss. I might have to retract what you said above about being an idiot because that is idiocy personified. Scandalous and deeply perturbing and very very tragic.

I wouldn't wish compulsive gambling issues on anyone, mainly because of the bomb that goes off around them that maims their innocent loved ones and family and friends. Football and sport in general have gotten in to bed with the problem though and it's sick. I hope that one day there's tangible distance between sport and betting. I'd never want to see the public not be able to partake in something that's harmless to them and something they enjoy because of the minority that it devastates but its far too easy for those involved in the gambling industry to take advantage and pray on such souls.

Their the ones that need the legislation and penalties for overstepping the mark, hit them where it hurts and maybe we'll give more people more enjoyment in their lives in the long run, both problem gamblers and recreational folk who enjoy it as a bit of fun.

I think perhaps what i’m saying is being misunderstood. I’m not disputing the addiction and how dangerous things can be from insignificant things.  my point is that as a professional in a sport that clearly bans you from any form of betting on it, and has such strict punishment to even place one bet would make you an idiot. 

we can forgive 245 of the bets if they are down to addiction but that first bet wasn’t, it was a choice and one that with so much on the line, from a place of such fortune, i consider idiotic. 

of course i don’t see someone like yourself or the previous poster in that light. It is just that to get addicted you have to start something. For a regular person, of course gambling is attractive and why wouldn’t you give it a go. but he was in a different situation 

even if the addiction was with other betting first, it’s still idiotic to move into your own sport when you could stick with horse racing for example. 

If you knew you’d be the king of england if you never drank alcohol you’d probably never have a beer. or at least that’s how id view it. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1

Has an addiction been mentioned by himself ‘or his spokespeople’ or are we just giving him an invalid excuse?

Those bets over that timeframe don’t scream addiction to me. Although, should he go down that route, it seems like an easy out for him. 

In any case, I hope it wasn’t an addiction because many know how truly destroying it can be.

4 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

One of the worst posts I've ever read on here, and I've done over 20k of them

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

Really? I had you down at 50k minimum. 

What figure/odds will you give me for the spread?

Asking for my friend Navi Yenot who would like to place a small bet. :ph34r:

On 17/11/2022 at 01:36, Lambert09 said:

you’re not a professional footballer. He should have never been in a situation to become addicted. You’re not addicted before you start something, that’s a choice… that’s where he’s an idiot. 

Put the sherry down, son, you’ve had enough.

7 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Has an addiction been mentioned by himself ‘or his spokespeople’ or are we just giving him an invalid excuse?

Those bets over that timeframe don’t scream addiction to me. Although, should he go down that route, it seems like an easy out for him. 

In any case, I hope it wasn’t an addiction because many know how truly destroying it can be.

Yes but who knows there may have been a few thousand bets on the horses, the cricket or I'm a celeb...the FA aren't interested in those

• Like 1

I wonder if this has come to light now because Toney is negotiating a new contract or another club is looking at him and he’s been asked if he has any skeletons in his cupboard.

with what has happened to mendy, I imagine clubs are inserting clauses that protect them if players become unavailable  

16 hours ago, st albans fox said:

My Brentford fan workmate was in earlier and he said this was already news more than ten days ago when Toney tweeted that he was under investigation for historic indiscretions 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20342878/toney-available-england-world-cup-fa-betting-investigation/

it wasn’t a secret 

This investigation has been ongoing for a long, long time. 

It's not suddenly appeared in the last few weeks. 

27 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

This investigation has been ongoing for a long, long time. 

It's not suddenly appeared in the last few weeks. 

You wonder if Southgate hadn’t been told about toney before he picked him for the September squad. Once he had  picked him, someone had a word in his ear - hence he never got a minute on the pitch 

32 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

You wonder if Southgate hadn’t been told about toney before he picked him for the September squad. Once he had  picked him, someone had a word in his ear - hence he never got a minute on the pitch 

Exactly. For Southgate to say he wasn't picked for footballing reasons is absurd to the point of insulting my intelligence

3 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Exactly. For Southgate to say he wasn't picked for footballing reasons is absurd to the point of insulting my intelligence

He’s in a difficult place on that. Similar to why he wasn’t picking greenwood when foden was brought back after the Iceland issue. 

im referencing September when he did pick toney and then played Kane in both games. Toney didn’t even make the squad for the second match. Makes you wonder just how many players are being checked into if they hadn’t told Southgate about him.