Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

Plenty of movement on the transfer rumours for us today under Lopetegui, who supposedly wants up to 6 new players in the new year. 

Matheus Cunha, Isco and David Garcia all rumoured to be close to being done deals. 

Edited by The Bear

51 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

I have some sympathy for him, if this is down to a gambling problem; but on the other hand, he knows this is very bad judgement and should've known the rules.

It looks like it was largely when he was a lower league player and when he got closer to the top it stopped. Doesn’t excuse it but I imagine it does go on a lot more in the lower leagues. 

• Like 1

I know that Kane is ridiculed for lack of trophies etc but why on earth does he stay at Spurs? If they don't win anything this season he really has to get a move somewhere, he's pushing 30 and not won a trophy it's ridiculous for a player of his quality, I say this as an England fan.

8 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I know that Kane is ridiculed for lack of trophies etc but why on earth does he stay at Spurs? If they don't win anything this season he really has to get a move somewhere, he's pushing 30 and not won a trophy it's ridiculous for a player of his quality, I say this as an England fan.

Well he tried to manufacture a move last year but then Man City snapped up Haaland and he’s sitting on a contract which has 3 and half years left. 

His brother agent and him made a huge mistake signing a new five year deal at Spurs when they did 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Because he signed a 5-year deal that Daniel Levy will not let him renege on unless they receive what he considers a fair offer. Which, is a stance we've supported with our own club and players, so can't criticize. Levy wants £150M and no-one is paying that. He rejected a rumoured £100M from Man City last year. Maybe Man U are daft enough to pay that and another year less on his contact, Levy might accept it next summer.

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Well he tried to manufacture a move last year but then Man City snapped up Haaland and he’s sitting on a contract which has 3 and half years left. 

His brother agent and him made a huge mistake signing a new five year deal at Spurs when they did 

Maybe Liverpool will come in for him

On 20/12/2022 at 14:48, The Bear said:

Plenty of movement on the transfer rumours for us today under Lopetegui, who supposedly wants up to 6 new players in the new year. 

Matheus Cunha, Isco and David Garcia all rumoured to be close to being done deals. 

50 odd million quid for Cunha?

On 08/11/2022 at 16:37, Les-TA-Jon said:

I'd agree it's as much about Howe's coaching and the improvement of existing playings like Almiron, Schar, Joelinton, and Longstaff. 

But for balance, two £40m players is not the cheap deals you're making them out to be. That's 2 signings that are each bigger than the transfer record of 11 current PL clubs... 

It's only the big 6 + Everton (£45m) and West Ham (£45m) who have ever spent more. 

So if you're argument is "we're not actually buying our success" then citing TWO signings that are bigger than the transfer records of almost the entire 'non-Big-6' part of the division isn't a great look.  

It's not a binary thing. Yes we're spending money, but spending money isn't the chief reason for our current 'success'. 

I'd also argue that 12 of the current PL teams have bought a player for £35m+, so £38m isn't wildly out of whack for the top flight and the point I was making was that those players weren't out of reach for other teams. They weren't cheap, but those transfers weren't particularly eyebrow raising, were they?

On 08/11/2022 at 16:38, fox_up_north said:

And while that is all very true and I've a lot of respect for Howe, what are your feelings on the ownership?

How would you feel if it was Sunderland, Boro or any other club being taken over?

What are/ were your feelings on Man City and PSG? 

The Saudi regime is vile and no foreign state should own an English Premier League side, and certainly not them. The PL, the FA, and the UK government could have stopped it at any point, but they didn't, so here we are. 

I'd be shocked, and disappointed that we'd be left in their shadow in the not too distant future without a remarkable change in our fortunes. 

I was happy for Man City because their fans had long been without much to cheer about. I honestly couldn't care less about PSG. re: Sportswashing, I'm not convinced it works. I don't hold the UAE or Qatar in any higher or lower regard now that they've pumped money into those clubs. It's just late stage capitalism, isn't it?

16 minutes ago, Chiltern Fox said:

Notts forest have finally found a sponsor.

Screenshot_20221222-162321_Daily Mail Online.jpg

I wonder what on Earth they have been playing at when they rejected Boxt’s offer at the start of the year. Seems like they tried to aim for a high sponsor then have given up and gone for a good PR sponsor. Fair play to them for doing it all the same. I think Premier League clubs should have a shirt charity sponsor day for one round of fixtures. 

Edited by Fox in the North
  • Like 3

Say what you like about Man United supporters but at least some of them had the good grace to set up a community club after the Glazers took over.

There's too much rolling over for Saudi, Qatar, etc money. If a nation state or a proper knobhead bought us, I'd stop watching and following. Our club started in a fuching shed, same as most clubs, not as a marketing exercise for dictators. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kyleolly said:

50 odd million quid for Cunha?

Around that yeah. And it's an obligation not an option, even if we end up getting relegated. The fees for players is one of the things you have to try and look past when Mendes is involved in deals. Sometimes you overpay, sometimes you get absolute bargains. It's the way he does business with his network of clubs. 

5 hours ago, goose2010 said:

about 10 years ago when he was at Real Madrid....

He is 30 now. 

6 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Wasn't Isco one of those hot young talents about 5-6 years ago that just never worked out?

Yes. If he was still at that level he wouldn't be coming to Wolves. He's still a very creative midfielder who has created more big chances this season than any of our players. And the fact he's on a free means I'll take him any day of the week. 

14 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Yes. If he was still at that level he wouldn't be coming to Wolves. He's still a very creative midfielder who has created more big chances this season than any of our players. And the fact he's on a free means I'll take him any day of the week. 

yeah absolutely he could end up being a great signing but he could also be a flop. Worth  gamble though. I cant imagine his wage is the cheapest though. 

• Like 1

On 20/12/2022 at 14:48, The Bear said:

So you're aspiring to be the new Everton then? Cool.