Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

2 minutes ago, The Bear said:

We're just aspiring to stay up at the minute tbh. 

Then someone should probably tell your board and Jorge Mendes that because those signings have "one last bit of money laundering while we circle the drain" written all over them. 

I don't share the same hate for Wolves that a lot of people on here do, I don't care if you go down or not. They're just not good business.

Throwing large sums at players whose careers are butt sliding in the other direction is exactly what gets teams ruined. It's the antithesis of how you got here. Every other good signing you've made in this "golden era" or whatever has been an upwardly mobile young player. 

50m for Cunha is insane, Atleti will be absolutely cry laughing at that. He's no better than Rafa Mir who, didn't you let him go for free?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Then someone should probably tell your board and Jorge Mendes that because those signings have "one last bit of money laundering while we circle the drain" written all over them. 

I don't share the same hate for Wolves that a lot of people on here do, I don't care if you go down or not. They're just not good business.

Throwing large sums at players whose careers are butt sliding in the other direction is exactly what gets teams ruined. It's the antithesis of how you got here. Every other good signing you've made in this "golden era" or whatever has been an upwardly mobile young player. 

50m for Cunha is insane, Atleti will be absolutely cry laughing at that. He's no better than Rafa Mir who, didn't you let him go for free?

We've spent plenty on younger players too. We're at the point now where we just have to get in whoever the new manager wants. If they're older players he's worked with before then so be it. 

Just listening to Howard Webb who is replacing Mike Riley in the new year.  It sounds like he’s going to get a grip of var to make it less intrusive and to stop re refereeing the game. The bar is going to be way higher so that only clear and obvious errors will change the on field call. let’s hope the referees can manage to go along with it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Wolves have managed to have an ex Spain and Real Madrid manager and Diego Costa and they're still the most relentlessly boring side every neutral doesn't want to watch in a division that includes Gary O'Neil's Bournemouth. Get them gone.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Wolves have managed to have an ex Spain and Real Madrid manager and Diego Costa and they're still the most relentlessly boring side every neutral doesn't want to watch in a division that includes Gary O'Neil's Bournemouth. Get them gone.

Wolves have somehow managed to become more boring than Southampton in half the time.

14 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Just listening to Howard Webb who is replacing Mike Riley in the new year.  It sounds like he’s going to get a grip of var to make it less intrusive and to stop re refereeing the game. The bar is going to be way higher so that only clear and obvious errors will change the on field call. let’s hope the referees can manage to go along with it. 

And keep it going .

We see these new ideas and plans be introduced but after about 4/6 weeks everything as they were before like with shirt pulling and handballs. 

Also talks about ex players becoming refs but doubt your're going to get many multi millionaires wanting to becomes ones after they finish.

Guess he means younger players who leave the game early or power league pros. 

38 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

And keep it going .

We see these new ideas and plans be introduced but after about 4/6 weeks everything as they were before like with shirt pulling and handballs. 

Also talks about ex players becoming refs but doubt your're going to get many multi millionaires wanting to becomes ones after they finish.

They’re not new ideas though - it’s how var was supposed to be ! Not re referring the game. Not a discussion about whether it was or wasn’t a foul - just for stonewall errors where only the pedantic 1% would argue the other way. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

And keep it going .

As soon as they do that people will moan that the refs didn't play at a high enough level. Just like people criticise opinions for not coming from former players or managers and then calling into question that person's record whenever they are.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

They’re not new ideas though - it’s how var was supposed to be ! Not re referring the game. Not a discussion about whether it was or wasn’t a foul - just for stonewall errors where only the pedantic 1% would argue the other way. 

That is fair enough but some will want VAR for everything now.

Fans naturally don’t like it but feel in  the EFL managers would want VAR in place .

13 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

As soon as they do that people will moan that the refs didn't play at a high enough level. Just like people criticise opinions for not coming from former players or managers and then calling into question that person's record whenever they are.

Yes - first decision they make against a team too and fans will be accusing x former player of being biased and having an agenda.

• Like 1

I don't know if it belongs in here or a more general football chat but...

For years I've banged in about the slow and purposeful Americanisms creeping into football. It's been a steady process but it's more or less complete. It's now 'Leicester is...' as standard rather than a 'Leicester are...' a small change but one that de-collectivises the club. You don't say 'We is...'. A handy change for viewing a community asset as something distinct rather than part of a wider body. We now have 'The Press' rather than 'closing down' - the naming of tactics becoming more and more common and is definitely a nod to the named tactics of The NFL. We even had commentators and fans alike desperately trying attach 'The Quarterback Role' to some midfielders, most notably Gerrard. I think it may have even been Brendan that said it. We egregious sponsorship and ever growing silly dances when scoring. We don't go to games we have matchday experiences.

The language of the game is now paving the way for an all round Americanised product. Football is the worse for it for sure.

However, it's just sorta happened that we're drifting towards majority ownership being American. I suppose my question is this - are we happy with that? As fans of foreign owners (which is what Americans are) do we lose the right to object to Americanised Premier League? What are the implications of this?

I think we're sleep walking towards a franchise model and Super League myself and I hate it.

Oh, and get a load of this garbage. Our opponents in the FA Cup:

https://twitter.com/TheGillsFC/status/1606379120052604936?s=20&t=1yi6N6Tb7ro-br4uqpvr5g

Edited by foxile5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

For years I've banged in about the slow and purposeful Americanisms creeping into football. It's been a steady process but it's more or less complete. It's now 'Leicester is...' as standard rather than a 'Leicester are...' a small change but one that de-collectivises the club. You don't say 'We is...'. A handy change for viewing a community asset as something distinct rather than part of a wider body. We now have 'The Press' rather than 'closing down' - the naming of tactics becoming more and more common and is definitely a nod to the named tactics of The NFL. We even had commentators and fans alike desperately trying attach 'The Quarterback Role' to some midfielders, most notably Gerrard. I think it may have even been Brendan that said it. We egregious sponsorship and ever growing silly dances when scoring. We don't go to games we have matchday experiences.

The language of the game is now paving the way for an all round Americanised product. Football is the worse for it for sure.

However, it's just sorta happened that we're drifting towards majority ownership being American. I suppose my question is this - are we happy with that? As fans of foreign owners (which is what Americans are) do we lose the right to object to Americanised Premier League? What are the implications of this?

I think we're sleep walking towards a franchise model and Super League myself and I hate it.

https://twitter.com/TheGillsFC/status/1606379120052604936?s=20&t=1yi6N6Tb7ro-br4uqpvr5g

think you should be more concerned about your government murdering your family and friends and doing its best to destroy your way of life...but yeah, americanisms are really bad too!

34 minutes ago, Out Foxed said:

think you should be more concerned about your government murdering your family and friends and doing its best to destroy your way of life...but yeah, americanisms are really bad too!

The country being swallowed hole by american capital has some relation to that. Look how many businesses have been bought out by American interests recently. It's not just football. I think it's fair enough to be uncomfortable with it.

39 minutes ago, Out Foxed said:

The two are distinct issues.

I can object to the Americanisation if my national sport and ALSO be concerned about - uhhh - my government murdering my family with separate thoughts.

This is a football forum so I used it to post my thoughts about football. If I have any concerns about government sponsored murder then I'll use a conspiracy theory forum to air those you freak.

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

I agree but for different reasons.  Attending an MLS game is so much better than the premier League, so more freedoms and fun, if that's Americanisation then I'm all for that part.

The bit which I have been talking about for years is that the USA wants to run football at every level possible, and I stated years ago that they want the American sides to be involved with European clubs, this started with 'game 39' but never happened and now we have the club world cup which looks like it will include MLS teams.  This is just the start.

2 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I agree but for different reasons.  Attending an MLS game is so much better than the premier League, so more freedoms and fun, if that's Americanisation then I'm all for that part.

The bit which I have been talking about for years is that the USA wants to run football at every level possible, and I stated years ago that they want the American sides to be involved with European clubs, this started with 'game 39' but never happened and now we have the club world cup which looks like it will include MLS teams.  This is just the start.

I dunno if MLS teams being in the Club World Cup will change anything, they seem more interested in being plastic fans of premier league clubs.

I can't wait to go doopin mental watching the Chelsea Lions face off against Barcelona though!

doopin.jpg

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TJQuik said:

I dunno if MLS teams being in the Club World Cup will change anything, they seem more interested in being plastic fans of premier league clubs.

I can't wait to go doopin mental watching the Chelsea Lions face off against Barcelona though!

doopin.jpg

You should attend an MLS game you'll be surprised.  You can see silly YouTube videos of cringy fans but that doesn't tell the story of what its like.

There's no doubt in my mind they want huge clubs in the MLS to rival the large European clubs and to do this they need competition between them.