Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

Just now, foxile5 said:

My skin is crawling at that chant.

This is perhaps my uneasiness at the increasing Americanisation of sports. 

The cultural heritage of football has developed over a couple of centuries and has some sense of organic tradition (apart from the MK Cons). Americans seems to enjoy this forced, twee approach to support.

But you could analyse ours and they could sound cringey, Americans will use American phrases just as we use ours. Heritage is cultural so American Heritage will be different to ours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TJQuik said:

I dunno if MLS teams being in the Club World Cup will change anything, they seem more interested in being plastic fans of premier league clubs.

I can't wait to go doopin mental watching the Chelsea Lions face off against Barcelona though!

doopin.jpg

Or cursing the referee when he ain't about

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

But you could analyse ours and they could sound cringey, Americans will use American phrases just as we use ours. Heritage is cultural so American Heritage will be different to ours.

And thus we hit the crux. The slow erosion of our heritage to cede to an Americanised model is both obvious and very, very sad.

8 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

When Southgate sees this Maddison’s got no chance.

You would assume that he was fit when left Man City, if he wasn't why was he there so what sort of training was Southgate running for him to return unfit to even train with the team?

Apparently not even fit when he cam on as a sub.

23 hours ago, TJQuik said:

I dunno if MLS teams being in the Club World Cup will change anything, they seem more interested in being plastic fans of premier league clubs.

I can't wait to go doopin mental watching the Chelsea Lions face off against Barcelona though!

doopin.jpg

Flip, flip, flip a delphia. 

• Haha 3

On 24/12/2022 at 13:41, foxile5 said:

I don't know if it belongs in here or a more general football chat but...

For years I've banged in about the slow and purposeful Americanisms creeping into football. It's been a steady process but it's more or less complete. It's now 'Leicester is...' as standard rather than a 'Leicester are...' a small change but one that de-collectivises the club. You don't say 'We is...'. A handy change for viewing a community asset as something distinct rather than part of a wider body. We now have 'The Press' rather than 'closing down' - the naming of tactics becoming more and more common and is definitely a nod to the named tactics of The NFL. We even had commentators and fans alike desperately trying attach 'The Quarterback Role' to some midfielders, most notably Gerrard. I think it may have even been Brendan that said it. We egregious sponsorship and ever growing silly dances when scoring. We don't go to games we have matchday experiences.

The language of the game is now paving the way for an all round Americanised product. Football is the worse for it for sure.

However, it's just sorta happened that we're drifting towards majority ownership being American. I suppose my question is this - are we happy with that? As fans of foreign owners (which is what Americans are) do we lose the right to object to Americanised Premier League? What are the implications of this?

I think we're sleep walking towards a franchise model and Super League myself and I hate it.

Oh, and get a load of this garbage. Our opponents in the FA Cup:

https://twitter.com/TheGillsFC/status/1606379120052604936?s=20&t=1yi6N6Tb7ro-br4uqpvr5g

Football supporting is evolving all the time, when I started it was the end time of Rattle and Rosettes, no fan segregation, applauding good play from both teams, there was singing of 'popular songs' and 'non aggressive banter' with the opposition.  Pretty much all of that has disappeared as it reflects as it did before the English culture which was changing at a rapid pace. As more European football is televised and visited that has also influenced fan behaviour and culture and this has been broadly welcomed. The world is becoming increasingly homogenised I think you just have to accept it you can't hold back the tide of change.

That doesn't mean we have to roll over and accept everything from everyone least of all changes to the league structure which I think is significantly more important that a few language changes. If you want get upset I believe that's where your efforts and anger should be directed.

On 20/12/2022 at 17:15, Facecloth said:

There was some defence of this fella when the original story broke - apparently some of these bets he made relate to when playing for Peterborough and betting on games he played in 

Edited by CosbehFox