Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

Just now, whoareyaaa said:

Same with Fulham, they had a fan on the radio earlier who said the manager just lets the players get on with and express there self, I suspect Rodgers is the polar opposite.

Yes but so is Klopp, so is Pep, it’s down to more than that surely

Guest Col city fan
5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not really, it is strictly correct,  it does go against the spirit of the game and removes the romance a bit, but how do you fix that? You risk providing even more opportunity for questionable decisions if you leave it to an eye test, and decisions that would likely favour the traditional brand clubs 

They can pin down really accurate measurements of course. I’d put a limit on it personally. 
Off the cuff… when a goal is scored, the player must be 10 inches offside for it to be ruled offside and therefore the goal disallowed.

Too many good goals are ruled out because the player is literally an inch (or less) offside. This is leading to a reduced number of goals which isn’t what football wants, or needs.

It’s become so apparent that you can’t celebrate a goal anymore until it’s been looked at by VAR. ie the spontaneous elation of scoring is being over-ruled too often. Quite simply, that can’t be good for the game?

That part needs a rethink 

Just now, Col city fan said:

They can pin down really accurate measurements of course. I’d put a limit on it personally. 
Off the cuff… when a goal is scored, the player must be 10 inches offside for it to be ruled offside and therefore the goal disallowed.

Too many good goals are ruled out because the player is literally an inch (or less) offside. This is leading to a reduced number of goals which isn’t what football wants, or needs.

It’s become so apparent that you can’t celebrate a goal anymore until it’s been looked at by VAR. ie the spontaneous elation of scoring is being over-ruled too often. Quite simply, that can’t be good for the game?

Cannot disagree with the concept, VAR destroys the spontaneity, the excitement, replacing it with some weird video game like experience. No idea how you could introduce margins/leeway’s into VARs judgements though, as even if you did, there would be complaints about the observable leeway/margins anyway.

Now we have come this far I don’t see a way back or a way forward to be honest

4 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Then you just move the problem 10 inches away and you will still get the same problem where great goals are offside. For me, this is the downside of having technology, and it only works if its accurate. Personally, its either have the tech and accept this, or ditch it all together. I favour the latter personally (except for goal line technology) as i don't think its added anything to the game and its just created new problems. 

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I would just simply make it that it has to be obvious. If you pause it and you can't decide from the still image, stick to the original decision. If you have to draw lines to see if its offside its gone too far.

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I would just simply make it that it has to be obvious. If you pause it and you can't decide from the still image, stick to the original decision. If you have to draw lines to see if its offside its gone too far.

Even that is subjective based on the viewer, it’s a hiding to nothing either way.

56 minutes ago, Guest said:

Kaoru Mitoma another example of how it is eminently possible to recruit exciting, effective wingers without spending all that much money as long as you know where to look and what you're looking for.

I really like the way Brighton operate. These signings won’t always work out but there’s so little to lose. 

It looks like £2.5m for him is a massive win. he had 50 goal contributions in japan in 60 games. Numbers like that are worth a punt if they scout well in other areas imo. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Well they have better quality players who can play that way

But its still boring.

Not Liverpool so much until recently which has coincided with a change in style to having more possession and being less ruthless on the front foot - and imo I don't think its any coincidence they're struggling for it.

It's effective for Man City, you can't deny it, but it is boring, why the majority of so many other teams try and do it when they don't have the players and it's not effective for them is beyond me as far as I can see it just leads to mistakes, shooting themselves in the foot and a downfall.

• Like 1

I love Haaland. He's the prototype player. If I could create a player in a lab it would be him 

6'5

Quick

Strong 

Works hard

Prolific as ****

Literally the perfect striker. Haaland and Victor Osimhen are my favourite players today.

1 hour ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Have a horrible feeling that Man U are beginning an Arsenal style renaissance and within 2 years will be very good again. 

Ten Hag seems a good fit for them. Doesn't take any shit from the big egos and has got rid of the biggest one and probably saved a shit load of money in the process.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Col city fan said:

How does measuring 10 inches become any easier than just an inch? It makes it much more difficult and ambiguous. 

Using the players feet makes sense, but offside is offside. The rule works (could be better, granted). 

• Like 1