Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

44 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm not really sure why this is some sort of gotcha. Every manager in history (who has had success at least) has occasionally put the boot up his players when he wants to get them a little bit angry and fired up, particularly a team like Man City that has had persistent success. 

The difference is Rodgers repeatedly and consistently throwing his players under the bus, through good times and bad, over the years he's been here. 

Trying to draw attention to Pep's man management to make a point about Rodgers isn't really the gotcha you think it is, it's shooting yourself in the foot. Look at the reaction Pep got tonight and look at the reaction Rodgers gets from our lot. 

Why is a gotcha? I was drawing parallels that all managers, including Pep will sometimes publicly call out players, fans, perhaps even the board/owners but in our case, it’s wholly unacceptable to many fans on here.

It has nothing to do with winning a battle, so there is not shooting, foot or otherwise to be done. I was calling out the fact that there are parallels but we take it as a negative when our manager does it.

I wholeheartedly believe that people operate from such an entrenched position that there is no longer any ability to view such comments, interviews, stories even remotely  dispassionately. 

edit Just because I have to or risk being labelled a fan boy/Brendan inner, I do think Rodgers should go to reenergise the team, yet of course this decision lies with Top

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Why is a gotcha? I was drawing parallels that all managers, including Pep will sometimes publicly call out players, fans, perhaps even the board/owners but in our case, it’s wholly unacceptable to many fans on here.

It has nothing to do with winning a battle, so there is not shooting, foot or otherwise to be done. I was calling out the fact that there are parallels but we take it as a negative when our manager does it.

I wholeheartedly believe that people operate from such an entrenched position that there is no longer any ability to view such comments, interviews, stories even remotely  dispassionately. 

edit Just because I have to or risk being labelled a fan boy/Brendan inner, I do think Rodgers should go to reenergise the team, yet of course this decision lies with Top

You don't have to end every post with this you know. We do believe you (kind of) lol

55 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

It's like some trash person in their trackies shouting obscenities at random people in town while stumbling around. Another person could be shouting obscenities at random people in the crowd, but they're a comedian.

Both are shouting obscenities, which means there are parallels. However in my deeply entrenched view, the comedian is probably doing it for the right reasons.

edit. Just because I have to or risk being labelled a trackie hater, I used someone in trackies purely as an example to better paint the scene. Of course I respect anyone's right to wear trackie bottoms 

:D

51 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Narh I'm sorry, you can attempt all the mental gymnastics you want to, you were being glib in defence of Rodgers (or to put the boot in FTers, either or) for about the umpteenth time. It's a pattern, you've been doing it for months.

Nobody has ever said that it's unacceptable for a manager to ever be critical of their players publicly. All sorts of methods of people-management have their value, Pep knows what he's doing, he thinks the entire club at Man City - from the players to the fans - have gotten complacent and he wants to give them a shake. Everyone looking on understands that and most people are going to accept it's a decent gambit from Pep and it'll quite probably work.

There aren't parallels to Rodgers, there are no double standards, we aren't being hypocritical because we've criticised Rodgers and we're not criticising Pep, you're not exposing any great inconsistencies. There's a vast difference between Pep saying he wants more passion from the players and fans after one game where we can see they were complacent and Rodgers consistently and repeatedly saying the players lack experience, lack mentality, that some players don't want to be here, that the squad needs an overhaul, this and that and the other after almost every dropped point. 

I don't mean to have a go, I like you as a poster. But you've had a bug up your arse about the way this place views Rodgers for ages now and sometimes you let it cloud your judgement just as much as the frenzied nutters on here you think you're countering.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Narh I'm sorry, you can attempt all the mental gymnastics you want to, you were being glib in defence of Rodgers (or to put the boot in FTers, either or) for about the umpteenth time. It's a pattern, you've been doing it for months.

Nobody has ever said that it's unacceptable for a manager to ever be critical of their players publicly. All sorts of methods of people-management have their value, Pep knows what he's doing, he thinks the entire club at Man City - from the players to the fans - have gotten complacent and he wants to give them a shake. Everyone looking on understands that and most people are going to accept it's a decent gambit from Pep and it'll quite probably work.

There aren't parallels to Rodgers, there are no double standards, we aren't being hypocritical because we've criticised Rodgers and we're not criticising Pep, you're not exposing any great inconsistencies. There's a vast difference between Pep saying he wants more passion from the players and fans after one game where we can see they were complacent and Rodgers consistently and repeatedly saying the players lack experience, lack mentality, that some players don't want to be here, that the squad needs an overhaul, this and that and the other after almost every dropped point. 

I don't mean to have a go, I like you as a poster. But you've had a bug up your arse about the way this place views Rodgers for ages now and sometimes you let it cloud your judgement just as much as the frenzied nutters on here you think you're countering.

Interesting, you may be right that I am too “on the other side” (I am not in my opinion) but the lack of self inspection, of critical thinking, favouring the FT party line just blows my mind. Of course you are being hypocritical, of course there are parallels, Rodgers said he wants more from the players, from the fans, from the owners (finance) and people are in outrage because he is speaking to us, about our club, and he dares to criticise whilst not performing well, consistently badly, he should clearly sort out his own house first.

Pep may not be in the same situation as Rodgers but the messaging is the same, I cannot fix this on my own, we need to be together and criticising your own is a part of that.

I do not feel you are having a go, and you are a poster I enjoy reading, and I will also admit to being a contrarian (better name than the others that could be used) but I also make no apologies for attempting to see both sides of the coin in every situation.

Anyway, imagine enough people have had quite enough of my viewpoint on Rodgers, so will just stfu in this thread, and sign off with what has almost become my signature

• Yes he should go
  • Less vitriol, more balance
  • Top decides

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Death by Football said:

The fact Forest are stupid enough to pay that money for him now doesn't change the fact that at the time he was bought for silly money not as an "option from the bench" but to weaken a rival that can't afford to match what the Saudis are willing to pay.  Seems a bit sh!t to me.  I can't argue that it's not been successful for the reasons you say - I just think it leaves a bad taste.

We were short up front, needed a fit Premier League goalscorer, he had a release clause and was open to the move. It was a needs must transfer and honestly if he'd been on your books with the same release clause, we'd probably would have done the same deal to get him. Yeah it hurt Burnley and that was a boon, but honestly, with Wilson being made out of Faberge eggs and spun sugar, we needed a striker, immediately. 

2 minutes ago, J. James said:

City looking favourites to bring in Stoke city's Harry Souttar.

Born in Aberdeen but chose to play for Aussie, l wonder why?🤔

Clue: rearrange these words ..play -to - cups - world - in - occasionally.

It's Friday fella... just say what you mean lol 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheFish said:

We were short up front, needed a fit Premier League goalscorer, he had a release clause and was open to the move. It was a needs must transfer and honestly if he'd been on your books with the same release clause, we'd probably would have done the same deal to get him. Yeah it hurt Burnley and that was a boon, but honestly, with Wilson being made out of Faberge eggs and spun sugar, we needed a striker, immediately. 

You should've come in for Iheanacho. We probably would've sold for 25M and he's a proven PL goalscorer and alround better player.

Edited by sm1

45 minutes ago, sm1 said:

You should've come in for Iheanacho. We probably would've sold for 25M and he's a proven PL goalscorer and alround better player.

That bit is the problem. Leicester would not have looked at newly minted Newcastle, desperate for striking options, and agreed to a £25m fee. You would have, quite rightly, tried to rinse us for every penny you could. 

I would have preferred Iheanacho though. That said, I don't watch him every week, does he put in the amount of effort pressing that Eddie Howe demands these days?

9 minutes ago, TheFish said:

That bit is the problem. Leicester would not have looked at newly minted Newcastle, desperate for striking options, and agreed to a £25m fee. You would have, quite rightly, tried to rinse us for every penny you could. 

I would have preferred Iheanacho though. That said, I don't watch him every week, does he put in the amount of effort pressing that Eddie Howe demands these days?

Nope. 

57 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Chris Wood hit double figures in every season he was at Burnley, aside from hs last. He is proven enough as a PL goalscorer, especially given how Burnley were over those seasons.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Nobody ever watches him play, he needs to play for that to happen. He sits on the bench and watches a bunch of out of form, not good enough or over the hill players running around like headless chickens. 

• Haha 2

No photo description available.

Stamford Bridge - Built in 1939 on stilts glass screen at either end a roof that had a looked of caving in seat around 1000 fans.
Demolished in the early 70's making way for a new large capacity East Stand.

Used to go there in the early 60s when visiting family in London

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Obscene.

I dont understand why clubs like ours bother.

Ffp is a joke. You cant compete when you allow this nonsense. Chelsea isnt the only ones doing this per say. Perhaps the top few clubs figure  super league is done for so lets just spend a shiiit load and force their hand in another way.

Hard salary caps needed. The game is dead without it.

• Like 1