Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

Not sure if this we mentioned but villa get rid of ings just in time as he makes his debut at west ham then gets injured lol.

At the time I was jealous we didn’t sign him but no I’m relieved. Moyes must have blown a gasket.

1 hour ago, sishades said:

Yes. Yes they do.

Let's be real - if Everton were currently in the top four their fans would be utterly dreadful to endure. There's something in the water anywhere west of St. Helens that turns people into the smuggest arsehairs on the planet the moment even a hint of success presents itself.

In spite of our own dreadful season, I am drawing some comfort from the collective footballing implosion happening on Merseyside. :fishing:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Was thinking earlier how mad it is that Ancelotti was everton manager not that long ago

It was always felt he was just goinv through the motions when he was there. Never looked remotely interested just took it to keep in work till a better job came up. 

Edited by Leicesterpool

20 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Pope & Newcastle are benefiting having an injury free settled side, similar to our title winning season
Their side from day 1 to now for Premiership games has just about been the same: Pope, Burn, Botman, Schar, Trippier, Longstaff, Bruno, Willock, Joelinton, Almiron, Wilson, you can moan all you like about a manager but if they don't have their 1st 11 available just like Newcastle have then they won't be getting the results. 
I would bet my house on if Leicester didn't have that starting 11 available for as long as we did in the 2015/16 then we wouldn't have won the league, not a chance.

Some of that is reasonable, but only Pope, Trippier and Almiron have started every match. Wilson has only started 13. Our two biggest attacking threats (ASM and Isak) have started fewer than 5 matches for us. 

It belies a lack of depth in the squad. We have 4 central midfielders fit, and 1 of the group is pushed into a left wing position. We have no fit substitute right back. Got 5 goal keepers though. 

4 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Some of that is reasonable, but only Pope, Trippier and Almiron have started every match. Wilson has only started 13. Our two biggest attacking threats (ASM and Isak) have started fewer than 5 matches for us. 

It belies a lack of depth in the squad. We have 4 central midfielders fit, and 1 of the group is pushed into a left wing position. We have no fit substitute right back. Got 5 goal keepers though. 

I don't think it will affect you this season. Being knocked out of the FA Cup was a blessing in disguise ala us in 15/16. 

It's when you get to Europe - that's when it affected us (and is with West Ham), you have target and be ambitious enough to buy players for the first XI and let those who help you succeed become the tier below. Then it's tough management to keep everyone happy. 

You only had to see our performance at SJP last Easter after a brilliant win at PSV to see a back-up team of poor quality and very little desire ( to be fair as a supporter, I was knackered doing both games in four days). Bruno's winner showed it off. 

Edited by CosbehFox

3 hours ago, TheFish said:

Of the 20 games played I also have Burn, Longstaff & Willock involved in every premier league game so 6 of the 11 then Schar 19, Botman & Joelinton in 18, Bruno 17 & Wilson 15 so i'm right in that that 11 have started just about every game.
Yes you have ASM who has obviously been injured & Isak being introduced slowly only been involved in 5, I wouldn't say that belies a lack of depth because you've not had to really draw on any depth especially in the key defensive areas

My original post wasn't a dig btw it just goes to show injuries & a fixed team playing week in week out makes a huge difference.
We were bloody fortunate not to get a long injury list during 2015/16 & especially to key personnel, just 3 (or 4) long term injuries to say Kasper, Kante & Vardy (Mahrez/Huth) & we weren't going the distance, so do you think Newcastle could cover the loss of Pope, Bruno & Botman / (or 1 of Trippier, Schar or Joelinton as a 4th injury) & continue as if nothing has happend? ASM for Joelinton but there isn't anything on the bench to properly cover the others

what’s really quite infuriating, is that if brighton continue to operate the way they have been. i’m pretty sure they could break the top 4. 

when i look at their squad now, they only need 3/4 upgrades to be a genuine top team.

A prime example of how you don’t need money to climb the league. They will continue to get big money for players on their terms and will just keep finding gems. even having a manager poached is no problem for them. 

It’s really impressive. 

my frustration with us is that we moved into a position of snobbery where we felt we needed at least semi established players.  I’d take an estupian type signing over a castagne anyday personally. 

Hopefully kristiansen and faes are a sign we are going back into the hidden gems market. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

I don't think it will affect you this season. Being knocked out of the FA Cup was a blessing in disguise ala us in 15/16. 

It's when you get to Europe - that's when it affected us (and is with West Ham), you have target and be ambitious enough to buy players for the first XI and let those who help you succeed become the tier below. Then it's tough management to keep everyone happy. 

You only had to see our performance at SJP last Easter after a brilliant win at PSV to see a back-up team of poor quality and very little desire ( to be fair as a supporter, I was knackered doing both games in four days). Bruno's winner showed it off. 

Reminiscent of our 2012 season where, inexplicably, we finished 5th, then in the summer that followed we made 1 first team signing in Vurnon Anita and a squad purchase Gael Bigirimana. 

If, IF, IF we manage to hang onto 4th spot I don't for one second imagine that these opens would have any interest in resting on their laurels. The extra commercial deals CL competition would attract, plus getting the prize money for the high league finish, getting a few dead wood off our books, should mean we have the FFP wriggle room to fatten out our squad with competition for places. 

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Of the 20 games played I also have Burn, Longstaff & Willock involved in every premier league game so 6 of the 11 then Schar 19, Botman & Joelinton in 18, Bruno 17 & Wilson 15 so i'm right in that that 11 have started just about every game.
Yes you have ASM who has obviously been injured & Isak being introduced slowly only been involved in 5, I wouldn't say that belies a lack of depth because you've not had to really draw on any depth especially in the key defensive areas

My original post wasn't a dig btw it just goes to show injuries & a fixed team playing week in week out makes a huge difference.
We were bloody fortunate not to get a long injury list during 2015/16 & especially to key personnel, just 3 (or 4) long term injuries to say Kasper, Kante & Vardy (Mahrez/Huth) & we weren't going the distance, so do you think Newcastle could cover the loss of Pope, Bruno & Botman / (or 1 of Trippier, Schar or Joelinton as a 4th injury) & continue as if nothing has happend? ASM for Joelinton but there isn't anything on the bench to properly cover the others

I think it shows the opposite, we've had to name players when they aren't really fully fit. But I guess it's semantics and unimportant to the point you're making. We've been lucky with injuries, it's true. I honestly think a lot of the timewasting we've been doing has been as much about disrupting play as it has been about managing energy levels. 

Pope could be replaced by Dubravka who remains a very good 'keeper. Bruno is irreplacable, but if Shelvey came back to full fitness we could kind of make up for Bruno's absence in the aggregate? Maybe? Botman is a Rolls Royce, our defence wouldn't be as dominant, but Burn would switch into the centre and Target would play at LB. We'd not get 4th, but the reason for our lofty league positions isn't individual quality throughout the squad, but the system Howe employs.

Joelinton works best at CM now. Joe Willock is more of a threat on the left, but when ASM is fit and motivated, there are few better at what he does. Part of me understands why we're after Gordon. He's essentially Almiron, but left sided and that feeds into how Howe plays. I still prefer ASM because I'm a big ol' dumb romantic and I love a mercurial winger.

• Like 2

Just now, Nalis said:

Antonio might be on the move this month.

He's West Ham's top premier league scorer with 48. That is a ridiculously low number for teams thats always been in the Premier League bar a few years.

He's not very good nowadays. And with Scamacca and Ings currently injured I don't see him being allowed to leave. 

36 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Duncan Ferguson snubs Everton for Forest Green heard it all😆

I don't think he did, and would, snub Everton for a league one club lets be honest.

Probably not even considered for Everton.

4 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Duncan Ferguson snubs Everton for Forest Green heard it all😆

It is a London team. Don't be taken in by the false humility of east Londoners -they are just as close to the London highlights as other parts of London.