Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

3. It'll kill the myth that all he needed was resources

How? Taking on a shit Everton squad with 4 days left in the window isn't an enviable position.

If Everton go down it's not on Dyche

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

But Howe has proven that logic wrong?

People use to laugh off how though "he cannot defend" etc. I'm waiting for a good argument as to why Dyche would have worked for us.

I'm not doubting a good manager can be relegated, that's not my argument. Same with a player.

Edited by Fox92

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

People use to laugh off how though "he cannot defend" etc. I'm waiting for a good argument as to why Dyche would have worked for us.

I'm not doubting a good manager can be relegated, that's not my argument. Same with a player.

I'm not saying Dyche would have worked for us though, I wouldn't want him for us either. Just pointing out not appointing or writing off a manager for getting relegated isn't a great strategy. 

Just now, Tommy Fresh said:

I'm not saying Dyche would have worked for us though, I wouldn't want him for us either. Just pointing out not appointing or writing off a manager for getting relegated isn't a great strategy. 

That is true, I'm not doubting that.

But that's just like "he would make us harder to beat" isn't a great strategy either, which I often see people say. Burnley only conceded less than 50 goals in one PL season he was there.

I'll agree to disagree though.

8 minutes ago, Guest said:

Yep, we've just been unfortunate with injuries for about three years now. It's also very unfortunate that nearly all of the players Rodgers inherited are worse now than when he arrived, and the players who have been signed while he's been here are worse now than when they arrived. Our inability to keep the ball, create chances, defend leads or overturn deficits is really unfortunate too, and of course it's a rotten stroke of misfortune that our manager is compelled to regularly tell the media how crap he thinks his squad is. I think you're absolutely spot on with your assessment of us and it tells me you probably watch us quite regularly.

I'm definitely not trying to say I know more about your club than you lot. Everything I say about Leicester has to come with the implicit caveat that it's an outsider's pov. 

You're definitely not a passive side, you're struggling to create good chances and you're giving up some. I dunno the reasons cos, like you say, I don't watch you a lot. I'd say that missing Maddison, must have impacted your form post world cup, but if you say you've been abject for 3 seasons then I've got to take your word for it. 

I know I got frustrated when other people said Bruce was doing a good job when it was the worst football I've seen at SJP for over 30yrs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheFish said:

I'm definitely not trying to say I know more about your club than you lot. Everything I say about Leicester has to come with the implicit caveat that it's an outsider's pov. 

You're definitely not a passive side, you're struggling to create good chances and you're giving up some. I dunno the reasons cos, like you say, I don't watch you a lot. I'd say that missing Maddison, must have impacted your form post world cup, but if you say you've been abject for 3 seasons then I've got to take your word for it. 

I know I got frustrated when other people said Bruce was doing a good job when it was the worst football I've seen at SJP for over 30yrs.

We do create chances. I don't know how they are labelled as stats will say some are clear cut and others not. Then people use this.

But it's like when we played you in the league cup, Vardy missed a clear cut chance, he dragged one wide and Daka tried to pass when in on goal. Can't remember much else from the game for us but those three stand out, and that was without Maddison and some other first team players.

Honestly, assuming it is Dyche, I think he's going to turn them around. And the people on here who turned their noses up at him are going to be left with egg on their faces when they leapfrog us and we're dumped into the Championship at their expense.

That Everton team is like our own - perfectly capable of staying in this league, but with a stinking dressing room culture, tactics that do not suit the personnel, and no direction in terms of who or what to squad build around. He'll put a rocket up their arses and get them playing in the short term, when points and building some sort of momentum are most vital. Like he would have done here. Keep them safe and build in the summer. His man management skills are without question - the only time he had a flair player to work with, he had Dwight McNeil looking like a top 6 winger for Christ's sake.

Instead we're going to be eating Rodgers' leftover birthday cake and wondering why slow sideways passing in our defensive third didn't work as we look ahead to see which weekend we have Plymouth away.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

We do create chances. I don't know how they are labelled as stats will say some are clear cut and others not. Then people use this.

But it's like when we played you in the league cup, Vardy missed a clear cut chance, he dragged one wide and Daka tried to pass when in on goal. Can't remember much else from the game for us but those three stand out, and that was without Maddison and some other first team players.

In  terms of expected goals, you're not doing great, only 5 teams creating fewer per game. Only 4 teams allowing more the other way. However expected goals aren't a perfect measure of a team. When you've got an arch-poacher like Vardy or someone like Maddison, both consistently out perform that measure. 

Genuine question, how often have you been able to name your first choice 11? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Dyche going Everton is perfect for me. If he goes there and keeps them up then he stays there. If he takes them down then his stock takes a nosedive. Either way we don't have to suffer him here. Happy days.

Problem is, he is a very good option for a dire situation. The question for us will now be, if we give brendan the chance with new signings and things dont improve... where do we go next.  No big name is going to want to come in with a short ammount of games remaining in a relegation fight... dyche would have taken that on. I think we have to back brendan because right now, we are all in 

22 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Dyche going Everton is perfect for me. If he goes there and keeps them up then he stays there. If he takes them down then his stock takes a nosedive. Either way we don't have to suffer him here. Happy days.

Couldn't agree more.

3 hours ago, TheFish said:

:giggle: 

I respect you don't watch us, but wow, couldn't be further from the truth.

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

:giggle: 

I respect you don't watch us, but wow, couldn't be further from the truth.

I know that you come from a ……. certain starting position, but he is right, we might be crap and slow at attacking, but we are not passive, at least no more so than most sides. Counter attacking may looking progressive, but it’s not. Will agree we try to lock up together than a gnats chuff late in games if we have a chance of a glorious point though, and usually fail of late.

Look at us conversing with using the R word. :o

13 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I know that you come from a ……. certain starting position, but he is right, we might be crap and slow at attacking, but we are not passive, at least no more so than most sides. Counter attacking may looking progressive, but it’s not. Will agree we try to lock up together than a gnats chuff late in games if we have a chance of a glorious point though, and usually fail of late.

Look at us conversing with using the R word. :o

Even R himself has said we're far too passive, several times, something I actually agree with him on (*Shock*), the point being - What's he gonna bleeding do about it though?! Of course no one in the media dares to actually ask those kind of questions though.

We're so passive it's unbelievable and claiming 'At least no more so than most sides' isn't any reason or excuse for it, it's a disgusting, despicable indictment and flaw of the modern game.

Counter attacking might not be progressive, sustainable, whatever you want to call it.

Neither is 60%+ possession when its sideways, backwards or having possession for possession's sake.

Edited by Matt

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Even R himself has said we're too passive, several times, something I actually agree with him on, the point being - What's he gonna bleeding do about it though?! Of course no one in the media dares to actually ask those kind of questions though.

We're so passive it's unbelievable and claiming 'At least no more so than most sides' isn't any excuse, it's a disgusting, despicable indictment and flaw of the modern game.

Counter attacking might not be progressive, sustainable, whatever you want to call it.

Neither is 60%+ possession when its sideways, backwards or having possession for possession's sake.

Not disagreeing at all, I am not sure what you do it about when we have such an awful, like really awful defensive platform to operate from, we just seem unable to either fix it, or recover from having been this for so long. We did fix the set piece fiasco, and it really was an utter horror show for ages, so is it just as simple as get a proper defensive coach to work with R, so we can become more confidence at the back and thereby less risk averse ? :dunno:

Deliberately didn’t jump to the obvious response to ‘what can we do’ as it seems unlikely, so trying to think other options tbh