Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

On 28/01/2023 at 01:23, KFS said:

This league is ****ed. I’ve just read fans telling Brighton fans to pipe down and have perspective.

No one is legitimately breaking the top 6 any time soon. Don’t even say Newcastle. I said legitimately.

FFP is designed to stop this. Us winning the league didn't really bother these clubs, it was us taking Champions League money. They wouldn't mind Newcastle winning every domestic cup for years; it'll be them taking CL cash that'll cause annoyance. 

Brighton won't reach the top four anyway but the Super League clubs will do everything just to make sure.

• Like 2

Gordon is Almiron for the left flank. If Howe can get a tune out of him then he can be as good as Miggy, if not better. If this is the first real waste of money then, meh, they've still got a very good strike rate. We're also doing a fair bit of business that we won't see the fruits of for a while, like Kuol who's gone off to Hearts, this young right back we've signed for £3m from West Ham looks like a good prospect and a bit of a mini-Trippier.

Done pretty well to offload some deadwood this window as well. Wood for c£20m to Forest, Shelvey for £10m to Forest, Darlow to Hull. 

Shelvey going should mean we're looking to bring in another Centre Mid. Can't imagine it'll be Maddison though, not after we've dropped £40m on Gordon. A loan deal is most likely and there's no way you'd allow him to go anywhere on loan. 

6 minutes ago, TheFish said:

Gordon is Almiron for the left flank. If Howe can get a tune out of him then he can be as good as Miggy, if not better. If this is the first real waste of money then, meh, they've still got a very good strike rate. We're also doing a fair bit of business that we won't see the fruits of for a while, like Kuol who's gone off to Hearts, this young right back we've signed for £3m from West Ham looks like a good prospect and a bit of a mini-Trippier.

Done pretty well to offload some deadwood this window as well. Wood for c£20m to Forest, Shelvey for £10m to Forest, Darlow to Hull. 

Shelvey going should mean we're looking to bring in another Centre Mid. Can't imagine it'll be Maddison though, not after we've dropped £40m on Gordon. A loan deal is most likely and there's no way you'd allow him to go anywhere on loan. 

£60m agreed with obligation to buy (no get outs) in the summer we perhaps would ….. I can see us being a bit short 2 v 3 in midfield if we play him and the new winger 

12 minutes ago, TheFish said:

You really need to get over James Maddison. 

He's never going to Newcastle. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

£60m agreed with obligation to buy (no get outs) in the summer we perhaps would ….. I can see us being a bit short 2 v 3 in midfield if we play him and the new winger 

The last bit is why I can't see you letting him go on loan. You'll want the cash up front so you can bring in some replacements before the end of the window. 

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

You really need to get over James Maddison. 

He's never going to Newcastle. 

I'm not under or over him. If he comes, he comes. I'm not losing sleep either way. My hope at the beginning of the season was 7-9th in the league. We'll get that with or without Maddison. 

8 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

The only thing Anthony Gordon is good for is having the hair of Princess Diana I'm afraid

People were similarly dismissive of Joelinton and Almiron. Look at them now.

Just now, TheFish said:

The last bit is why I can't see you letting him go on loan. You'll want the cash up front so you can bring in some replacements before the end of the window. 

I'm not under or over him. If he comes, he comes. I'm not losing sleep either way. My hope at the beginning of the season was 7-9th in the league. We'll get that with or without Maddison. 

People were similarly dismissive of Joelinton and Almiron. Look at them now.

Certainly Eddie Howe has got the best out of them .

A damming indictment on Steve Bruce  maybe ?

Just now, Super_horns said:

Certainly Eddie Howe has got the best out of them .

A damming indictment on Steve Bruce  maybe ?

Definitely. Although, Joelinton was bought as and had played before as a forward. Clark getting sent off and Joelinton being shunted to CM changed his career. 

Bruce tried to claim credit for that as well.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TheFish said:

It's strange when we talk about Madders. We know how good he is, and that he shouldn't be sold for a pittance. Having said that, I can see that he could potentially be a waste of money for Newcastle, given his injury woes. So, on one hand he's a great player, but on the other hand he's really not worth pursuing. Sorry Geordies, look elsewhere.

13 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Your fans?

Aye, but they weren't exactly feted by everyone else. Joelinton was a £40m flop in the eyes of everybody, except himself. The summer before the takeover he sought out a private coaching company and worked on the parts of his game that were weak. Then, when it was announced that Eddie Howe would be the new manager, he and they tweaked his personal training regime to become the kind of player that would work best under Howe. The lad deserves huge amounts of praise for his professionalism, commitment and I'm delighted he's getting the rewards and recognition. 

1 minute ago, SkidsFox said:

It's strange when we talk about Madders. We know how good he is, and that he shouldn't be sold for a pittance. Having said that, I can see that he could potentially be a waste of money for Newcastle, given his injury woes. So, on one hand he's a great player, but on the other hand he's really not worth pursuing. Sorry Geordies, look elsewhere.

Honestly, I think we'd be better off getting an out and out defensive midfielder. I don't think the attacking midfield position is one where we're weakest. He's obviously got quality, but injuries and our priorities should have us looking elsewhere, in my opinion.