Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

5 hours ago, Phenom said:

Someone check in on @Deeg67

Results are results.  It's a shame, because I don't think theirs matched the quality of the football they were playing, but with the amount of money they're dropping in the transfer market they're not going to be especially patient.

• Like 1

Jonathan Liew, in the Guardian, is such a good writer, a cut above most imho.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/feb/07/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-strange-ritualistic-power-of-the-press-conference

Just pause for a second to consider how much more Klopp must know about his job than the average attendee at one of his press conferences. This is no slight on the football press, by the way: these are by definition quite different jobs with different functions, different target audiences, almost a different language. This largely explains why so many football press conferences produce so little of genuine intellectual value: the common ground between the interlocutors is so narrow as to be essentially meaningless.

For Klopp, read any football manager. It's often struck me how tolerant some managers* must have to be when dealing with the press because of that gulf in knowledge. Top managers must see the game in such a different way to the average punter or reporter. Akin, I reckon, to how a chess master views the game of chess, or a mathematician can describe the world in mathematical equations. Pepp too probably sees shapes, forms and movements in football games that most of us have no inkling of.

Edit: perhaps Pearson showed visibly stretched tolerance on occasions!

Edited by taupe
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, taupe said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/feb/07/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-strange-ritualistic-power-of-the-press-conference

For Klopp, read any football manager. It's often struck me how tolerant some managers* must have to be when dealing with the press because of that gulf in knowledge. Top managers must see the game in such a different way to the average punter or reporter. Akin, I reckon, to how a chess master views the game of chess, or a mathematician can describe the world in mathematical equations. Pepp too probably sees shapes, forms and movements in football games that most of us have no inkling of.

So few appreciate this - they think you just kick the ball forwards and chase after it …..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Can we just do away with these press conferences then if everyone accepts they're rubbish and provide no insight.

Just have the club release a weekly list of available players and injured players with expected timescales.

Restrict journalism to articles that are of genuine interest and provide an unknown insight into a situation. 

Who listens to them anyway? There's far to many now to even keep up with them.

People only overreact to Klopp getting angry despite the fact Pep gets angry and almost every manager ever has got angry. Most of the questions are stupid so I understand why managers lose it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

Who listens to them anyway? There's far to many now to even keep up with them.

People only overreact to Klopp getting angry despite the fact Pep gets angry and almost every manager ever has got angry. Most of the questions are stupid so I understand why managers lose it.

I love the managers getting annoyed at journo's anyway lol 

They ask mundane stupid questions and waste the opportunity to get a real insight.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, taupe said:

I dislike lies for calling Jamie vardy a racist

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filbertway said:

Man City official drinks partner deal worth £100 million per annum with

Wolf Cola Media (@SlojoSports) / Twitter

Man City are happy to announce their brand new sleeve sponsor Kitten Mittens worth £1billion over a 5 year period, this follows the name change from the Ethihad to Fight Milk Stadium 

Edited by lanefox
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

ive just realised that if man city get banned from the champions league newcastle will definitely  get in. It’s like cutting snakes off of medusa 

Nice mythological reference and not likely to be wasted on a football forum 😉

• Like 1

On 06/02/2023 at 13:16, turtmcfly said:

The 'anything but title/cup stripping' camp need to be vocal, stay strong and on message. I'm aware that Man City having points deducted this season would further upset the Tottenham fans but this is a price worth paying for *completely cleaning up the PL 

* Todd Boehly's pants may need a boil wash

I think we’re all expecting them to get a fine  of a few million and a suspended (ie non-existent) points deduction.  In about 3 years’ time after a couple of appeals.