Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

1 hour ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Leeds getting rejected by half the managers across Europe is a reality check for the Brendan Out Boyos. It would have been Nuno's 3-5-2 pissball with Thomas left wingback for 18 months. Thank God the board kept the faith and we have the sexy Tetê show to come.

Lol at you comparing us to Leeds

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Leeds getting rejected by half the managers across Europe is a reality check for the Brendan Out Boyos. It would have been Nuno's 3-5-2 pissball with Thomas left wingback for 18 months. Thank God the board kept the faith and we have the sexy Tetê show to come.

We'd be managerless because Leeds can't tempt someone closing in on a league title into a relegation scrap? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, davieG said:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "If Man City were to be stripped of their titles fostball tunnys Man Utd and Liverpool will get 3 titles each. Stoke and Watford will be FA Cup winners. Arsenal, Villa, Chelsea, Sunderland and Liverpool are league cup winners. But Spurs still don't win a single thing AÎA"

I get its a joke but wouldn't Spurs *win* a League Cup? They were in the final against Man City a couple of years back weren't they? Or does the investigation cover a period beforehand?

Edited by Miquel The Work Geordie
Spelling
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I get its a joke but wouldn't Spurs *win* a League Cup? They were in the final against Man City a couple of years back weren't they? Or does the investigation cover a period beforehand?

That would be much funnier - I'd love to hear them try to use that as something they've won

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

I think firing Marsch was a mistake anyway (though I understand why they felt pressure to do it) but it sounds like Leeds seriously miscalculated with the timing.  They're going to end up with some recycled mediocrity like Rafa or Garrard or Hasenhuttl (who'd be the best of that lot, but good luck selling to the fanbase that hiring the guy Southampton fired is an ambitious move).

You'd think before they moved on Marsch with their survival hanging in the balance they'd have had a clear indication that one of their prime targets was truly available and willing.

4 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I think firing Marsch was a mistake anyway (though I understand why they felt pressure to do it) but it sounds like Leeds seriously miscalculated with the timing.  They're going to end up with some recycled mediocrity like Rafa or Garrard or Hasenhuttl (who'd be the best of that lot, but good luck selling to the fanbase that hiring the guy Southampton fired is an ambitious move).

You'd think before they moved on Marsch with their survival hanging in the balance they'd have had a clear indication that one of their prime targets was truly available and willing.

Marsch had to go, they were going down fast with him in charge. The fans had massively turned on him, he was massively out of his depth in the premier league 8 wins in a year is evidence of this.

I think he got lucky with 2 very fortunate wins just before the World Cup, otherwise he would have been sacked then, giving Leeds a chance to find a replacement with a bit more time up their sleeve. 
They returned from the World Cup and I don’t think they’ve won a game. All this after having a pretty decent spending spree about 3x what we have spent.

It will be interesting to see what they can do now, I’m not sure too many decent managers will want to go to a club struggling to stay up at this stage of the season, especially one who is already in a decent job. 
If they can stay up, Leeds would be very attractive to a decent manager in the summer, but right now, their best bet might be finding someone who can come in and steady a sinking ship until the end of the season.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Marsch had to go, they were going down fast with him in charge. The fans had massively turned on him, he was massively out of his depth in the premier league 8 wins in a year is evidence of this.

I think he got lucky with 2 very fortunate wins just before the World Cup, otherwise he would have been sacked then, giving Leeds a chance to find a replacement with a bit more time up their sleeve. 
They returned from the World Cup and I don’t think they’ve won a game. All this after having a pretty decent spending spree about 3x what we have spent.

It will be interesting to see what they can do now, I’m not sure too many decent managers will want to go to a club struggling to stay up at this stage of the season, especially one who is already in a decent job. 
If they can stay up, Leeds would be very attractive to a decent manager in the summer, but right now, their best bet might be finding someone who can come in and steady a sinking ship until the end of the season.

I’m interested by this viewpoint from yourself. And I mean genuinely interested not trying to get into a debate or whatnot.

I mean obviously your one of the most pro Rodgers posters, I don’t think I have seen anything to suggest you have ever waivered from that which is fair enough, it’s a consistent approach. I thought partly that may be that you feel managers don’t get enough time so I’m interested by the fact you feel that Marsch is right to be sacked after such little time in that job. What’s the difference in your view?

I personally wouldn’t say they have been sinking to the same extent we had. I mean granted you have to be higher up to sink but Leeds have pretty much bobbed around the same level since they returned. I wouldn’t say Marsch has them performing (results wise) much worse than Bielsa did although he was a fan favourite and they were entertaining to watch.

As for the not won since the World Cup, that was us until last weekend! 

As for some fortunate wins before the World Cup saving him, that also sounds quite familiar from close to home!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I’m interested by this viewpoint from yourself. And I mean genuinely interested not trying to get into a debate or whatnot.

I mean obviously your one of the most pro Rodgers posters, I don’t think I have seen anything to suggest you have ever waivered from that which is fair enough, it’s a consistent approach. I thought partly that may be that you feel managers don’t get enough time so I’m interested by the fact you feel that Marsch is right to be sacked after such little time in that job. What’s the difference in your view?

I personally wouldn’t say they have been sinking to the same extent we had. I mean granted you have to be higher up to sink but Leeds have pretty much bobbed around the same level since they returned. I wouldn’t say Marsch has them performing (results wise) much worse than Bielsa did although he was a fan favourite and they were entertaining to watch.

As for some fortunate wins before the World Cup saving him, that also sounds quite familiar from close to home!

I think there are some decent points raised here, but I think a couple of reasons I would back Rodgers and not Marsch. Main reason being credit in the bank, Rodgers has had us 5th twice and 8th as well as an FA Cup win.

This season there have been a couple of times I’ve been close to the edge - Brighton away he looked like he had lost the dressing room and Forest away was pathetic and if he’d been sacked after either I wouldn’t have complained.

BR can clearly manage to a high level in the Premier League, and I really don’t think we’ll go down with him in charge (I know not everyone shares this opinion).

Marsch on the other hand only 8 wins in a year, Bielsa finished 9th, and then struggled but they made no improvement under Marsch.

The other main differences is financial backing, we knew our team needed an overhaul at the end of last season - perhaps a little earlier that didn’t come.

Marsch has spend about £150 million quid in the year he’s been at Leeds and again for no real improvement.

I do like Rodgers, I do think some of the criticism is way over the top, but we all know what he can get out of a side - we have never seen that from Marsch

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

No one could have ever replaced Bielsa and had a chance with their fanbase.  Bielsa was adored by Leeds supporters - understandable to an extent, but they're conveniently in denial about the fact that he'd turned them into a complete shambles certain to be relegated by the time they finally cut the cord.  Marsch made the best of a barely Championship-level pool of available players and managed to keep them up.

This year, well - the numbers are what they are.  xG doesn't get you points, no, but according to xG differential they'd be solidly mid-table (around 11th) and well into the safe zone (and well above us).  Marsch was instrumental in recruiting some legit talent and still had the clubhouse behind him, if not the fans.  If you're going to fire him with 15 matches left you'd better make sure of your replacement.  They clearly were (and are) not, and are faced with the prospect of sticking with an interim guy and praying for survival or hiring their 5th or 6th choice who will likely be a recycled PL failure.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Funny joke mate. I actually genuinely laughed out loud.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I think there are some decent points raised here, but I think a couple of reasons I would back Rodgers and not Marsch. Main reason being credit in the bank, Rodgers has had us 5th twice and 8th as well as an FA Cup win.

This season there have been a couple of times I’ve been close to the edge - Brighton away he looked like he had lost the dressing room and Forest away was pathetic and if he’d been sacked after either I wouldn’t have complained.

BR can clearly manage to a high level in the Premier League, and I really don’t think we’ll go down with him in charge (I know not everyone shares this opinion).

Marsch on the other hand only 8 wins in a year, Bielsa finished 9th, and then struggled but they made no improvement under Marsch.

The other main differences is financial backing, we knew our team needed an overhaul at the end of last season - perhaps a little earlier that didn’t come.

Marsch has spend about £150 million quid in the year he’s been at Leeds and again for no real improvement.

I do like Rodgers, I do think some of the criticism is way over the top, but we all know what he can get out of a side - we have never seen that from Marsch

Also good points, can appreciate everything you have said.

Re credit in the bank, I suppose it depends on individuals when that runs out. Admittedly for me, that was a while back.

I hadn’t remembered Leeds finished as high as that but any ‘slump’ was under Bielsa so as you say, all Marsch has done is kept them around the same position really. I think can probably class himself as a bit aggrieved. On the spend, that was offset by selling the likes of Phillips and Rafinha though so not sure their net spend would be that high. In terms of January window, well it only just closed so he can’t be accused of wasting any spend then. That is reminiscent of Puel and Tielemans who he never had the chance to show how the team would evolve with Tielemans as he was sacked shortly later.

I think it is clear from last weekend that our team needed new faces. Yeah obviously it’s been done to death but it’s that one of agreeing that Rodgers was right about that but not liking how he has handled it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

No one could have ever replaced Bielsa and had a chance with their fanbase.  Bielsa was adored by Leeds supporters - understandable to an extent, but they're conveniently in denial about the fact that he'd turned them into a complete shambles certain to be relegated by the time they finally cut the cord.  Marsch made the best of a barely Championship-level pool of available players and managed to keep them up.

This year, well - the numbers are what they are.  xG doesn't get you points, no, but according to xG differential they'd be solidly mid-table (around 11th) and well into the safe zone (and well above us).  Marsch was instrumental in recruiting some legit talent and still had the clubhouse behind him, if not the fans.  If you're going to fire him with 15 matches left you'd better make sure of your replacement.  They clearly were (and are) not, and are faced with the prospect of sticking with an interim guy and praying for survival or hiring their 5th or 6th choice who will likely be a recycled PL failure.

First paragraph, exactly re Bielsa. He was like their Pearson having got them back up after a long(er) absence. Add to that they scored a lot and were entertaining, it wasn’t an easy job to take on.

Second paragraph, hopefully once the novelty wears off (that saw them lead 2-0 at OT), they will remain in a mess and not use the new manager bounce to move to safety!

6 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

First paragraph, exactly re Bielsa. He was like their Pearson having got them back up after a long(er) absence. Add to that they scored a lot and were entertaining, it wasn’t an easy job to take on.

Second paragraph, hopefully once the novelty wears off (that saw them lead 2-0 at OT), they will remain in a mess and not use the new manager bounce to move to safety!

I think you need a new manager to get a new manager bounce.

7 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

The vast majority of Leeds ‘fans’ (the ones who don’t go to games and love to post on twitter, and there are tens of thousands of these), is to sign people who haven’t failed in England. They could have been mediocre in Europe or S.America and Leeds fans think they’ve made a great signing. 

All they have to do is sign someone who’s had the smallest association with a big name, or even a club with history, and they’ll get the fan base onside again. 

Strange club

2 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

The vast majority of Leeds ‘fans’ (the ones who don’t go to games and love to post on twitter, and there are tens of thousands of these), is to sign people who haven’t failed in England. They could have been mediocre in Europe or S.America and Leeds fans think they’ve made a great signing. 

All they have to do is sign someone who’s had the smallest association with a big name, or even a club with history, and they’ll get the fan base onside again. 

Strange club

Isn't that kind of what they did with Jesse, though?  And that hardly won over the fan base.  Maybe being one manager removed from the legend would help, but I don't think it's quite that simple.

Even assuming this is true - who is that, exactly?  With Gallardo, Slot, Iraola, and Corberan off the table, who's next in line?  And willing to make a move mid-season?  They could go with someone truly anonymous (to Brits) from South America or Portugal or Switzerland just for the sake of avoiding the usual suspects.  But with less than half the season to survive what promises to be a relegation melee that would be an enormous risk.  Even someone like Postecoglou is apparently off the table, either by his own lack of interest of his club's unwillingness to let him leave.

• Like 1

Also. The whole situation just stinks of amateurism.

Letting him spend £70m to sack him one game later.

Not getting someone in before the transfer window.

Not getting someone in before the WC break to work with the players left behind.

Not lining someone up earlier when Marsch was clearly on the brink for a long while.

If he wasn’t on the brink of sacking (which would explain letting him spend and not having someone lined up, why just pull the trigger? Why wasn’t he on the brink of a sacking with the months of poor performances.

Unless someone decent comes in (as a manager and at board level) Leeds are going one way and it isn’t up.

1 minute ago, Deeg67 said:

Isn't that kind of what they did with Jesse, though?  And that hardly won over the fan base.  Maybe being one manager removed from the legend would help, but I don't think it's quite that simple.

Even assuming this is true - who is that, exactly?  With Gallardo, Slot, Iraola, and Corberan off the table, who's next in line?  And willing to make a move mid-season?  They could go with someone truly anonymous (to Brits) from South America or Portugal or Switzerland just for the sake of avoiding the usual suspects.  But with less than half the season to survive what promises to be a relegation melee that would be an enormous risk.  Even someone like Postecoglou is apparently off the table, either by his own lack of interest of his club's unwillingness to let him leave.

I think Marsch was received well initially. They liked that he was supposed to be the successor to Bielsa with his style. They liked that he had come from Salzburg (who can fail there though?)

I’ve no idea who they’ll bring in, but a no-name who has been no2 at say Dortmund or Sevilla for example would be enough to trick half of that bunch of idiots.

They got their knickers in a twist over signing Firpo who’d played for Barca 3 times and Roca who’d made 15 appearances for Bayern.

Having a proven drug cheat go on some holier than thou rant about clubs wanting to punish a club for cheating is some bar of ethics. 

Guardiola needs to remember they got off last time because the charges were time barred. They were proven to have cheated but CAS said too much time had passed to be punished for it 

5 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Unlike us,they actually have looked good & played decent football,

but looking good,hasn’t brought them too much…Too erratic,and defence turn off too easily…

• Like 1