Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

52 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

lol imagine comparing Nathan Jones with Pearson

I'm not sure it's as crazy as you seem to think? He did a great job at Luton twice, took them to heights they shouldn't have been anywhere near. Pearson's only success has been with us, as great as it was. Think he did okay at Soton before us and is doing alright at Bristol City but stunk at Derby and OHL. Unless you're one of these folk who like to draw in a PL winners medal to Pearson's achievements? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stinky said:

I'm not sure it's as crazy as you seem to think? He did a great job at Luton twice, took them to heights they shouldn't have been anywhere near. Pearson's only success has been with us, as great as it was. Think he did okay at Soton before us and is doing alright at Bristol City but stunk at Derby and OHL. Unless you're one of these folk who like to draw in a PL winners medal to Pearson's achievements? 

I don't think it's unfair, but perhaps a hard comparison to make unless there are other examples of the sort of squad-building Pearson has shown he's capable of in Jones' other roles as a manager.

He's had time at Bristol City and they're looking a stronger side with each window, the loss of Semenyo aside. They have blown hot and cold this season but in the here and now they're now 9 unbeaten and playing great football. He's not had that sort of time to build with any other club he's been at. Give it another year and I really think they're going to be knocking on the door of the playoffs - they're turning into a good side.

The Robins are definitely the best opportunity he's had to emulate the growth he built with Leicester since he left us. It still kind of baffles me why Jones jumped ship at Luton to go and join a relegation scrap, given how close he had come to 'doing a Pearson' at Kenilworth Road and getting a group of unfashionable players with a great engine and mentality to really punch far above their weight. It's realistic that the two teams could be swapping places come May, and Luton will be reaching new heights with players he brought in.

Actually, that sounds kind of familiar. :claudio:

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stinky said:

Nathan Jones is a bit like Pearson isn't he

Very good at one club he's had two stints at. Great championship manager. Sucked virtually everywhere else. Bit weird with the media 

Is that you on the left Stinky?

stinky.JPG.57301b37a660b02ad4a811ba6c88166a.JPG

Because that one was guaranteed to clear this particular room.

• Like 1

Just finished watching all the games back from Saturday and the officials refs and VAR have had an absolute nightmare this weekend haven’t they.

Almsot every game has had howlers, not just 50/50s gone the wrong way but genuine howlers. Penalties not awarded, offsides missed, ridiculous red card, goals disallowed.

It’s truely amazing with VAR in place how bad they were across the board this weekend. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aus Fox said:

Just finished watching all the games back from Saturday and the officials refs and VAR have had an absolute nightmare this weekend haven’t they.

Almsot every game has had howlers, not just 50/50s gone the wrong way but genuine howlers. Penalties not awarded, offsides missed, ridiculous red card, goals disallowed.

It’s truely amazing with VAR in place how bad they were across the board this weekend. 

Totally agree.

I think it will improve under Howard Webb, but all we want as fans is consistency. 

This might be a controversial opinion, but I'm definitely pro VAR, with the caveat that it's consistant.

So far it hasn't been.

But we wouldn't have won the FA Cup without it lol

There are so many things that in one game are missed, but in another are given. Baffling.

And if there's an FA Cup game played at a non VAR stadium, don't use it in the replay at a VAR capable stadium. 

Thats moving goalposts. 

5 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Nathan Jones is a lovely bloke. A genuinely nice guy.

I did my Sports Journalism degree at the University of Bedfordshire (I know, what a shit uni), and had various encounters with Nathan.

I first met him in the changing rooms at Kenilworth Road in 2016, the same night Vardy scored his screamer against Liverpool, I've told that story before.

He was quite happy to have 15 journalism students ask him questions in the dressing room after the game, they were all pretty tame to be fair.

I used my initiative and got press access to more Luton games and some MK Dons games.

I've sat in press conferences with him and also had a one on one chat, plus interviewed Nick Owen, who was his chairman, and an even nicer man.

Nathan was always amazing and welcoming. 

From the other managers I spoke to around that time, like Karl Robinson, he just seemed amazed to be where he was.

Surprised he took the Saints job after Stoke didn't work out for him.

It's like some managers suit a job. Darren Ferguson at Peterborough is the prime example! 

His downfall is that he probably doesn't believe in himself and he's too nice.

I'm not, how often is someone like him going to be offered a PL job.

During his managerial career in the Championship his had averaged 1.37 points per game which is awful.

Terrible appointment by Southampton.

35 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Surely this means he does believe in himself? That and probably a bad agent.

Doesn’t believe I himself but went on a weird rant in a press conference and referred to himself as the fittest man in the world, Infact that whole press conference probably dispels the theory of him not believing himself lol he is a strange man 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Absolute shambles from VAR yesterday. Just watching MOTD and that offside Brentford goal is a shocking incidence. They didn’t even check the second offside. What if that cost them the title. 

its been reported the VAR official for that game, Lee Mason, forgot to draw the offside lines 

to say this weekend has been a shambles decision wise, is being quite light imo

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

I don't think it's unfair, but perhaps a hard comparison to make unless there are other examples of the sort of squad-building Pearson has shown he's capable of in Jones' other roles as a manager.

He's had time at Bristol City and they're looking a stronger side with each window, the loss of Semenyo aside. They have blown hot and cold this season but in the here and now they're now 9 unbeaten and playing great football. He's not had that sort of time to build with any other club he's been at. Give it another year and I really think they're going to be knocking on the door of the playoffs - they're turning into a good side.

The Robins are definitely the best opportunity he's had to emulate the growth he built with Leicester since he left us. It still kind of baffles me why Jones jumped ship at Luton to go and join a relegation scrap, given how close he had come to 'doing a Pearson' at Kenilworth Road and getting a group of unfashionable players with a great engine and mentality to really punch far above their weight. It's realistic that the two teams could be swapping places come May, and Luton will be reaching new heights with players he brought in.

Actually, that sounds kind of familiar. :claudio:

I mean to be honest my original post wasn't so much about Pearson & Jones being on the same level as managers, but more about that they have some very interesting similarities when you look at how their careers have gone. But what he did at Luton can be compared to what Pearson did with us if you tone down the expectations of what was achievable at Luton. And how Jones failed at Stoke and seemingly Soton like Pearson has at a few clubs lately.

Not sure if people are seeing my post as a slur at Pearson, it's not lol Just a level headed opinion. All the media stuff Pearson was caught up in we defend him because of what he did for us but few neutral fans understood him. I hear what Jones says at times and think WTF, like neutral fans do I assume, but I bet like us with Pearson, Luton fans understand him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Absolute shambles from VAR yesterday. Just watching MOTD and that offside Brentford goal is a shocking incidence. They didn’t even check the second offside. What if that cost them the title. 

That would be brilliant if they did lose the title by one point.

31 minutes ago, turlo said:

would like to see the side on view of this but it looks like they've drawn the lines against the wrong Palace defender here

I’m just as dubious for Barnes offside goal. The line looks to go through Davies’ shoulder and head!!

Joke application. Worst officials in Europe.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, turlo said:

would like to see the side on view of this but it looks like they've drawn the lines against the wrong Palace defender here

If they have to draw lines then it isn't 'clear and obvious'. The offside rule was been so over complicated no-one knows right from wrong anymore.

There's still are too much open interpretation of rules which leaves a greater chance for human error.

Barnes goal was a similar situation yesterday took far too long and kills the pace of the game.

VAR should be simplified and be similar to the NFL in a sense all goals are reviewed regardless but have a time limit on it, say 30 seconds? If a conclusion cannot be reached then the on field decision is final.

• Like 2