Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

14 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Leeds' performance weren't so bad under Marsch but they didn't get results. 

Their main issues were weak defence and striker. 

And those are the same issues that Southampton have as well.

Their midfield of Lavia, Alcaraz and Ward-Prowse looks very strong but their defence looks very poor, and may take time for their new attacking options to settle. 

Also, it's a very young team and lack experience in high pressure situations. 

I think that Soton have some good young players but not quite good enough at present.

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

Deeg on here will be pleased 

I don't envy him trying to keep Southampton up given their current state of discombobulation and their run-in.  But he managed to do it at Leeds under similar circumstances so I can see where they think he gives them their best shot.  From his perspective it's kind of a no-lose since they're odds-on favorites to go down anyway.

In every statistical category Leeds were better under Marsch than Southampton this season - the results just didn't follow the performances.  Not hard to see why Southampton would make the move.  Meanwhile Leeds is still flailing away and seemingly has no plan except to let their fanbase have veto power.

52 minutes ago, David Lowe said:

Does anybody know why 7 Premier League games are still to be rearranged when this week and next are blank for many teams?

This week has a full fixture list. The weekend after is the league cup final. 

Factor in teams playing European games, FA Cup games in midweek at the end of the month. As teams exit competitions, games will be re-arranged. 

33 minutes ago, Bert said:

This week has a full fixture list. The weekend after is the league cup final. 

Factor in teams playing European games, FA Cup games in midweek at the end of the month. As teams exit competitions, games will be re-arranged. 

There’s not midweek games for many at the moment.

1 hour ago, David Lowe said:

Does anybody know why 7 Premier League games are still to be rearranged when this week and next are blank for many teams?

No idea why they are waiting so long to confirm games. The current free weeks are 4th/5th April and 2nd/3rd May. So I would expect the Villa home game to be rearranged for the April date and Brentford (if we get through) for May. They will likely avoid clashing with European football where they can but if we got to the FA Cup semi-final, we would have another midweek game to schedule (which I guess would have to be the last midweek of the season in May, 23rd/24th).

I know it’s not particularly helpful to talk about ifs and buts … and not particularly scientific to pick and choose data. But ….

If we’d beaten Southampton and Bournemouth instead of losing to them both we’d be on 30 points. They’d be on 12 and 15 points respectively. The relegation picture would look very different. 

I know … I know … I shouldn’t do it to myself …. :nono:

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Southampton deserve relegation. Lots of poor squad building and choices over the past few years.

Signing Adam Armstrong was daft.

They’ve made some good decisions. 

Like not offering Ryan Bertrand a new contract and shifting Jannik Vestergaard on :ph34r:

35 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Surprised neither Leeds or Southampton have gone for Postecoglou. 

Thats the beauty of Celtic. Better to finish the season on an up note than relegation. Better chance of landing a better club and have the opportunity to have some say in decisions. He'll get his chance.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Surprised neither Leeds or Southampton have gone for Postecoglou. 

Leeds at least was interested and was shot down.  He’s in a good enough spot where he can bide his time and get a full-year project rather than come into the middle of a relegation scrap.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Quite annoying from an outsiders perspective too. Of all the teams that are offensive to me and I'd be happy to see make the drop, Southampton aren't on the list. 

So boring as a club and so far away as an away day. I'm not bothered if they go down.

1 hour ago, David Lowe said:

There’s not midweek games for many at the moment.

Yes but teams they might have fixtures against could well be playing in Europe, cup games. UEFA frown upon domestic league games taking place when their competition is on. The rare exception is made, such as tomorrow night. 

Edited by Bert

1 hour ago, kingkisnorbo said:

The decision on Marsch probably has something to do with the Red Bull connection to Hassenhüttl and the obsession with implementing the Red Bull model in the Premier League. 

I'm convinced we're not far off a prem team being brought into the RB network, Southampton would be absolutely perfect! 

1 hour ago, Simoken said:

me neither. lol image.png.edfef2b28bfd69c600f3a0896d513dd8.png

They're about due their next Mauricio aren't they?