Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

24 minutes ago, Nalis said:

For the neutral it must be a brilliant relegation battle in all honesty.

Probably the best since PL beginning,

Sort of nice being involved...

Great escape II...a quirky achievement if there was one ..

Also when Irish eyes are smiling part II.  MON & Rodgers being 2 of our best managers who took heavy flack under stress...

Edited by fuchsntf

I think if Southampton go down it could be a bit of a blessing in disguise for them. They’ve been in the league a while so could give them a chance to hit reset and allow the ex Brentford sporting director to be a bit more radical, not that he really needs an excuse, am sure he has the authority to. If they’ve agreed with Marsch that he’ll stick around even if they go down could see them doing well in the championship because they’ll have a better squad than anyone else and if they do come up straight away will be a good year for him to get his ideas in place, similar to Kompany at Burnley this year, and then ride the wave when they’re back in the PL to becoming a Brighton/Brentford type outfit

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

does Southampton have a game against Leeds coming up? If so that’s gonna be very weird and awkward with Ted lasso in charge

:revenge:

Next weekend, at Elland Road.  And that joke hasn’t gotten stale at all, by all means keep using it.

• Haha 1

I can’t help thinking it’s a weird move for Marsch, it clearly hasn’t worked out for him at Leeds. To bounce back at another team who could be relegated seems like a poor choice.

I feel he’d have been better off getting a decent job in Holland, Belgium or France maybe holding on for Rangers or Celtic. A chance to rethink, learn, and adapt before perhaps getting another shot on the PL in three or four years time.

Going to Southampton, where he is likely to get relegated and potentially have both teams he’s managed this season go down, would make it unlikely that anyone in a top 5 league would give him another opportunity.

28 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I can’t help thinking it’s a weird move for Marsch, it clearly hasn’t worked out for him at Leeds. To bounce back at another team who could be relegated seems like a poor choice.

I feel he’d have been better off getting a decent job in Holland, Belgium or France maybe holding on for Rangers or Celtic. A chance to rethink, learn, and adapt before perhaps getting another shot on the PL in three or four years time.

Going to Southampton, where he is likely to get relegated and potentially have both teams he’s managed this season go down, would make it unlikely that anyone in a top 5 league would give him another opportunity.

Unless he's promised a project..a bit like Pearson with us..

Accepting they could go down...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FoxesWalk said:

I'm usually on side with statistical analysis. xG makes sense. I use statistics in my profession. 

I'm not sold on these predicted tables, though. There seems to be too much bias in the model on where each team is currently placed. And seemingly little on recent performances beyond actual results.

I remember there being very little chance of us not making Champions League in one of our near miss sessions.

Ironic that people quoted those stats as they desperately clutched at reasons for optimism as they saw the increasingly poor football unfold before their eyes.

They knew what was coming, the stats didn't.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I'm usually on side with statistical analysis. xG makes sense. I use statistics in my profession. 

I'm not sold on these predicted tables, though. There seems to be too much bias in the model on where each team is currently placed. And seemingly little on recent performances beyond actual results.

I remember there being very little chance of us not making Champions League in one of our near miss sessions.

Ironic that people quoted those stats as they desperately clutched at reasons for optimism as they saw the increasingly poor football unfold before their eyes.

They knew what was coming, the stats didn't.

To be fair that season, along with us struggling Manchester United came from no where and didn’t lose a game from end of Jan/ start of feb and picked up something like 35 points from the last 45 available and I don’t think anyone could have predicted that sort of form, especially from a team up until that point had been very inconsistent.

20 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

To be fair that season, along with us struggling Manchester United came from no where and didn’t lose a game from end of Jan/ start of feb and picked up something like 35 points from the last 45 available and I don’t think anyone could have predicted that sort of form, especially from a team up until that point had been very inconsistent.

This is why I'm expecting one of Liverpool or Chelsea to go on title chasing form to pip Newcastle to the top 4.

• Like 2