Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

2 hours ago, Wortho said:

Only a month ago the Gooners I know thought they had the title wrapped up!!!

"We're 8 points clear and only need to draw against City". They started celebrating with half a season to go!!

I hope we can produce a performance next week. I would love it.

I will love it!' - Kevin Keegan's outburst and what really went wrong for  Newcastle United - Chronicle Live

Just over 7 years ago, near enough to the day when we played Arsenal when they celebrated the Welbeck winner like they'd won the league. I remember it was 14th February as the game was a late televised game, and I couldn't get the time off as everyone had booked the day off for Valentines.

15 hours ago, howie said:

Man City on their way to their 5th title in 6 years.

we’re in danger of turning into the bundesliga. Boring. 

The reason I’ve not been too critical of Man City and Chelsea in the past is because it stopped the Premier League becoming a procession of titles to Manchester United. Since Man Utd last won the league we’ve had us, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City win it. Far more interesting than most foreign leagues.

If Man City’s success continues, however, they may just become as annoying as the dominant teams they replaced. I note our fans cheering when Man City beat Liverpool to titles recently. Now they’re cheering as Man City close the gap on Arsenal. 

I guess there is a historical perspective of which teams become most irritating in people’s subconscious. I’ve often wondered at what point Man City will start to supplant others in terms of the most nauseous stakes 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wortho said:

Only a month ago the Gooners I know thought they had the title wrapped up!!!

"We're 8 points clear and only need to draw against City". They started celebrating with half a season to go!!

I hope we can produce a performance next week. I would love it.

I was amazed at their bench last night. Thin doesn't do it justice. 

I'm convinced that ain't all that. I'm convinced I wouldn't have half their players in our team (or at least it's a very close run thing) 

3 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

Just over 7 years ago, near enough to the day when we played Arsenal when they celebrated the Welbeck winner like they'd won the league. I remember it was 14th February as the game was a late televised game, and I couldn't get the time off as everyone had booked the day off for Valentines.

I was there.. in with the Arse fans (as went with a friend who's an Arse!!)....fvcking horrible experience, but little did I know what that result spurred us on to achieve...it was a blessing in disguise.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StanSP said:

How can you just be allowed to re-apply for players? That defeats the point of a 25 man squad, no? 

Just add players in cos you have an injury crisis. 

Bizarre if that's allowed. 

Don't they have any under-21's to fill in?

• Like 3

I’ve come to the conclusion this fannying around at the back (pardon me - I mean playing out from the back) is a dangerous tactic that teams should ONLY do IF they are 100% focused and are confident of beating the oppositions high press. 

we have defiantly been a victim of poor execution of this as have villa and man city themselves and the arses as we saw yesterday. When managers persist with this  and it’s obviously not working the team suffers and concedes a goal. Time and again we keep seeing this happen. No one ever learns. I refuse to believe a professional team cannot figure this out logically and play a different less risky way. Baffles me! Like watching school boys.

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm convinced that ain't all that. I'm convinced I wouldn't have half their players in our team (or at least it's a very close run thing) 

It's the arrogance and smugness that's gets me. Thinking it's all done and dusted. Delusional f***s!!!

5 minutes ago, Wortho said:

It's the arrogance and smugness that's gets me. Thinking it's all done and dusted. Delusional f***s!!!

Indeed. There was an assumption that being too at Xmas means 8 times out of 10 you go onwards to the title. But Xmas this year was gameweek 14 or whatever. The equivalent of December 1st on any normal season. Imagine giving it the biggun in early December.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Really? They’re currently 27 points ahead of us, which is 3 more points than we’ve got all season. If their squad is that close to ours then either Arteta is a genius; or even the doomsayers in the Brendan Rodgers thread have seriously overestimated his ability 

4 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

Really? They’re currently 27 points ahead of us, which is 3 more points than we’ve got all season. If their squad is that close to ours then either Arteta is a genius; or even the doomsayers in the Brendan Rodgers thread have seriously overestimated his ability 

These quirks can happen. Elements of luck, form, confidence and fixture schedule can have a massive bearing on anyone's season. 

They have some decent players. But the squad has absolutely no depth (nketia ffs) and I personally wouldn't be in that much of a rush for us to sign, say, Tierney, White, Partey, Shaqa for example. It's an half decent but ordinary team been riding a wave for 20 games. I just don't fancy them