Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

1 minute ago, wardyfox86 said:

Should have let them all have their poxy Super League.

Completely agree. I really wish it would happen& they would have nothing to do with the Premier League or FA Cup. People may say all the best players would go there but so what, we would have really competitive football even if it comprised only British players. Football was pretty good in the 70's when there were no foreign players

20 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Completely agree. I really wish it would happen& they would have nothing to do with the Premier League or FA Cup. People may say all the best players would go there but so what, we would have really competitive football even if it comprised only British players. Football was pretty good in the 70's when there were no foreign players

we always had the Scot’s,Irish & Welsh,oh and some islanders

.that was about as foreign we wanted to go..but even then top clubs money spoke the loudest…just then people spoke in thousands,not billions…

and a bag of chips cost a tanner,or thru’penny up  north.

I still remember the day Trevor Francis became front page news by becoming the first million pound player! (Shows my age)

but… it was a big deal back then and caused a lotta commotion. People back then saying the same as today that footballers are paid too much to just kick a ball around lol.

6 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

The idea that we’ll be anywhere near Newcastle again is fanciful. An endless amount of money trumps any sweet nothing about our potential rebuild. 

We've finished above Man City after their takeover and ahead of other clubs with much bigger budgets in recent times. It's shite it's come down to money again, but it's not a complete write off.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, adam said:

Top level football in this country is ****ed.  Completely finished for clubs like ours(unless a country buys us)

Even Newcastle with all their money have no chance of seriously challenging.

Well not entirely. The beauty of football is that price tags don’t win games. As long as the rest of the clubs still have more money than the majority of the other teams in the world they will still be getting the next best players who often turn out better than the big priced players anyway. 

Which is exactly what sickens the big boys. How dare other clubs get so much money to compete.  Currently while they are mile off financially , you still get someone like bournemouth capable of signing a highly rated player from ligue 1. 

it’s not like the old days where promoted sides can only sign cast offs ( thatcher, canero, nalis, dabizaz, gillespie, bent) and that was a good window at the time 😂 at least we got big les! 

The Premier League is the Super League. A league that we are part of. The more money in the league, the quality will continue to go up and up. 

We could feasibly have teams being relegated, earning more money and potentially being of a better quality that those playing at top teams in Spain, France, Germany and Italy. Those leagues wanted the Super League, as they foresaw what is coming. They’re all on the long road to ruin, if nothing changes. They’ll become akin to a Glasgow Rangers or Celtic. People will still play for them to pick up medals and cups, however they’ll be classed as “farmers leagues” 

At some point, the balance will shift and it’ll mean more to win the Premier League Title, than a European Cup.Europe might even become an inconvenience to certain clubs, as realistically most clubs want it for revenue streams. If the money isn’t right, why bother? 

Now, something that hasn’t been considered, the Premier League isn’t attached to the FA, so could it be expanded, to include a PSG, Barcelona, Milan, Bayern, Madrid etc. Or could we end up with Premier League 1 and 2. A big pre season show, with an FA Cup style draw for 32 teams, splitting them apart. At the end of the season, the top 4 / 8 from each enter a mini knock tournament to crown the seasons Champions.

At some point the footballing landscape will change again. Wishing for the big clubs to go away, is like asking for us to stay in the Championship, or maybe even League 1 but never getting promoted if we win the league, then trying to win the LDV vans trophy ever season. Everyone would soon get pretty bored and eyes would turn elsewhere for a higher standard of football. 

One small saving grace is that the people at the very top know that some of the unique selling points of English football outside of England is the pyramid system, the passionate fans, character and charm of some smaller premier league clubs and, that much smaller teams have a chance of beating each other.

The changes will probably continue to be subtle for a while I think. I'm thinking at some point we'll end up with a 16 team premier league and extended european matches with some globetrotting competitive matches thrown into the mix.

36 minutes ago, Nalis said:

One small saving grace is that the people at the very top know that some of the unique selling points of English football outside of England is the pyramid system, the passionate fans, character and charm of some smaller premier league clubs and, that much smaller teams have a chance of beating each other.

The changes will probably continue to be subtle for a while I think. I'm thinking at some point we'll end up with a 16 team premier league and extended european matches with some globetrotting competitive matches thrown into the mix.

I thought this, or maybe a “Premier League Invitational Cup”, straight knockout for European teams. 

2 hours ago, Sly said:

The Premier League is the Super League. A league that we are part of. The more money in the league, the quality will continue to go up and up. 

<snip>

Is this really the case now? I get the increase in quality of club and players following the creation of the Premier League. But right now, how is what Chelsea are doing, or how would a bidding war between state owned clubs produce 'better quality'. Doubling Salaries of already overinflated players, playing agents and hangers on more doesn't lead to the doubling of quality of the output. Any increases are going to be small and very subjective, and you will likely see more clubs employing the Chelsea model where the buy anything and can pay what they like for it.

I wish fans demanded better. Clubs have the ability to behave more responsibly and not put players on 400k-500k a week contracts.  But that doesn't look the like the ambition, and it seems that in the eyes of many increasing the pay barrier is seen as a good thing as its more likely their club will employ the latest and greatest superstars.

I think this is one of our really key aspects of English culture that would be sadly lost. If 4,5 or 6 clubs become state owned I'd rather see us relegated and have fun in the championship.

What's the point in competing if all the prizes are kept from you? They'll just jack up prices of tickets and "engagement" anyway. If you grumble at £40 a ticket, someone's got to pay for Neymar's new house. 

Every so often my dad and I reflect on what it would take for us to stop going down.

In years past it's been a fanciful idea and one we'd play out hypothetically. 

However, the reality is some of the more fanciful scenarios are becoming reality.

The purchase of all the clubs by the super wealthy to create a financially closed shop that kills even a romanticised idea of competition? Check.

The formation of an 'American model' of a non jeopardised closed League? On its way.

We're a step behind franchising football and it's happening with the consent of the fans. The beautiful game dying before our eyes and it's allowing itself to be killed.

How can we have the moral fury in the media over allowing human rights abusers to hold the world cup but then willing invite them to buy one of our biggest footballing institutions? ****ing embarrassing. Pathetic. Insulting. And entirely lacking in the moral fiber and community driven nature of football.

Say goodbye, friends, as the game that we know and love disappears. You wouldn't get folk on Bentley's roof nowadays. You'd get snipers nests to provide protection for Emirati royalty as they watched their shiny playthings use sport to wash away their grubby goings on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nick said:

I do wonder if Southampton pull off a win or even a draw against Chelsea today if the board might pull the trigger on Potter?

I think we are going to get a very good insight into how the new leadership of the club will operate. For me it would be madness to sack a manager like him who will need the time and a stable environment to build what he wants. I can only imagine the headache he has trying to get his messages across to a team with new personalities and attitudes turning up daily all with varying price tags hanging over their heads.

• Like 1

Also, the Nottinghamshire media seem confident that the PL will allow Forest to add Cook to their squad because they have set a precedent? Am I missing something? Theirs been a number of clubs who have had to make do when going through an injury crisis.

Edited by LcFc_Smiv

28 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

How are we in a world where anyone is even remotely arsed that STEVE COOK might be allowed to play for Forest. They’re probably better off without him! 

I think it's the principal of them wanting to add someone, regardless of who it is. It is particularly galling to those of us who have endured a torrid injury crisis. And it's Forest.

If they don't like the rules at the top party, they can fck off back to L1.

Personally, I'd deduct 15 points for asking :D

37 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

How are we in a world where anyone is even remotely arsed that STEVE COOK might be allowed to play for Forest. They’re probably better off without him! 

It's ****ing insane the precedent it could set.

Chelsea love hoarding players. Imagine how many they'd stockpile if they thought they could use 30+ first teamers on a rotation for an injury.

I can't see the league granting it but if they do it's another step that will only have significant benefit for the rich six or seven.

• Like 1