Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

4 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Not the right thread but its also amazing that Bolton have gone from having a stadium named after rebok to Tough Sheet. 

Thats not even a joke... they are genuine calling their stadium Tough Sheet, after some manufacturer lol 

Yeah, probably this god awful stuff...

Fitting l suppose as this is what they've become in recent years.😐

Polish_20230222_002509311.jpg

This is an 'out of nowhere' post but just came across something on LinkedIn that i've managed to link to the ongoing swaith of club takeovers.

Was reading an article on Ratan Tata, Indian Billionaire, and how he's given away over £100bn of his wealth over the years.

Got me thinking about how fans of clubs are desperate for more 'good' people to invest in their clubs, rather than the oil/human rights money. But naturally given the cost of being at the highest level, still need to find high wealth individuals.

Anyway I was quite surprised we haven't really seen any Indian involvement at the highest level of English football, I know obviously Blackburn still have Venkys (but they were heavily involved in the UK anyway) and Bhattia dabbled in QPR (with links to Tata at the time). Perhaps the lack of success these two have seen has been off putting?

Given how popular the sport is in India you'd have thought a company like Tata would be ideal for some of the Premier League clubs who have been or are currently looking for investment. 

• Like 3

Unlike most of the world football isn't the most popular sport in India. There's a lucrative domestic market with cricket which isn't the case for China/SEA.

Although the NFL is huge in the US, most American owners here have branched from their domestic sports into football. Boelhy aside, most don't seem mega-rich by PL owner standards either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Football regulator: UK government confirms new independent body https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64536218

Better not tell FIFA/UEFA as they don’t like Governments getting in involved in football .

And some might say the Government have their own problems to sort out !

Never go through as the clubs won’t agree to this .

49 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

If it means more power to fans then I am all for it.

The only thing that would really mean more power to the fans is the dissolution and re-establishment of the league with Draconian financial constraints in place.

Unfortunately, when owning a football club moved from the the wealthiest person in the region running it as a form of honour/pride to a financial incentive for investors the fans ultimately lost the game.

I'm not a moist eyed romantic. I accept that all owners, even in the black and white days, were in it for something. That something wasn't always fabulous profits and when it became that the locals to the football club are no longer important.

• Like 1

I don't see why 20 new Franchises aren't created and players signed to them. No need to remove clubs from England, these foreign fans are only interested in seeing the best players, so just let the best players go and make a sh*t load of money playing in a league that has no sporting merit. Much like the LIV golf.

Then we can crack on with our own football. That'd be the ideal but the money men won't go for it as it'll hit their pockets, which is what football is all about.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I don't see why 20 new Franchises aren't created and players signed to them. No need to remove clubs from England, these foreign fans are only interested in seeing the best players, so just let the best players go and make a sh*t load of money playing in a league that has no sporting merit. Much like the LIV golf.

Then we can crack on with our own football. That'd be the ideal but the money men won't go for it as it'll hit their pockets, which is what football is all about.

I agree with your point, except it’s not just foreign fans, there’s plenty of others in this country who are armchair fans and think they have a connection with ‘their’ club because they watch them on the TV.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I agree with your point, except it’s not just foreign fans, there’s plenty of others in this country who are armchair fans and think they have a connection with ‘their’ club because they watch them on the TV.   

Oh yeah, and there's plenty of people abroad who genuinely follow and have a connection with teams.

The reason that Americans want to take over the Premier league and force a super league is mainly down to the massive selling power to the world. The uk being a tiny little proportion of the income.

I just think that people would happily watch/"support" a franchise team as long as the players with the highest reputations were there. I don't think they need to piggy back off of the Premier league like they appear to be doing.

• Like 1

Just now, filbertway said:

Oh yeah, and there's plenty of people abroad who genuinely follow and have a connection with teams.

The reason that Americans want to take over the Premier league and force a super league is mainly down to the massive selling power to the world. The uk being a tiny little proportion of the income.

I just think that people would happily watch/"support" a franchise team as long as the players with the highest reputations were there. I don't think they need to piggy back off of the Premier league like they appear to be doing.

It's actually very pathetic that grown men and women have this mentality. It's weirdo behaviour.

A lot of Americans are quite strange like that. American team sport has become more about the individual than the teams itself. They are so obsessed with who the MVP is, moreso than how the team is doing as a collective. They'll follow their favourite players, like LeBron James and Tom Brady, as they jump from team to team. We've had a taste of this with the Algerians who came and went with Mahrez. You see it at Spurs with all the South Koreans in the crowd there to see Son.

14 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

We've had a taste of this with the Algerians who came and went with Mahrez. You see it at Spurs with all the South Koreans in the crowd there to see Son.

I think this is a bit different. 

I imagine you can't really relate as much as an England fan for a couple reason. Firstly, let's just be real about it, you've got so many great footballers it's not so special. But secondly, because most of them play for rival teams you kinda grow to love-hate them a bit. 

Being Welsh, it's a pretty big deal for us to have people like Bale and a lot of us followed his career everywhere he went. When you're pretty much a minnow team but you've got a big star player internationally its a bit more of a big deal. I get why the Koreans follow Son, the Algerians follow Riyad, etc. 

Even more so for them than Wales as well because they don't even have particularly big clubs playing in big leagues. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

A lot of Americans are quite strange like that. American team sport has become more about the individual than the teams itself. They are so obsessed with who the MVP is, moreso than how the team is doing as a collective. They'll follow their favourite players, like LeBron James and Tom Brady, as they jump from team to team. We've had a taste of this with the Algerians who came and went with Mahrez. You see it at Spurs with all the South Koreans in the crowd there to see Son.

It's true but don't we do the same to an extent? Constant debates who is the GOAT, Messi or Ronaldo, a whole World Cup was focused on Messi by all media and fans. Ridiculous stunts like him wearing a traditional robe when lifting the trophy. What if the World Cup took place in Scotland/Ireland, would he wear a kilt? The sport unfortunately is being gradually taken away from the pure fans. It's a show of money, a showcase of wealthy players acting like influencers. 

If any gov body wants to interfere they should start by introducing salary cap, wages limitations and transfer/trade limits. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fear Of The Fox said:

It's true but don't we do the same to an extent? Constant debates who is the GOAT, Messi or Ronaldo, a whole World Cup was focused on Messi by all media and fans. Ridiculous stunts like him wearing a traditional robe when lifting the trophy. What if the World Cup took place in Scotland/Ireland, would he wear a kilt? The sport unfortunately is being gradually taken away from the pure fans. It's a show of money, a showcase of wealthy players acting like influencers. 

If any gov body wants to interfere they should start by introducing salary cap, wages limitations and transfer/trade limits. 

To be fair Scotland or Ireland probably couldn't afford to make him wear traditional dress.  They also wouldn't bother with the sports washing exercise.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

To be fair Scotland or Ireland probably couldn't afford to make him wear traditional dress.  They also wouldn't bother with the sports washing exercise.

Exactly my point. Messi was paid to do it, it didn't happen just suddenly, it was planned and against the regulations of FIFA. 

I know I sound a bit pessimistic but the sport is degrading, I know a lot of people in their mid 40s and 50s are losing interest. I was always a big basketball fan since I was 5, played as a pro a couple of seasons, I'm still a big fan of NBA but I was always aware how NBA worked. They have the financial regulations to keep a closed/private league competitive for decades. I don't think the people responsible for football at FIFA, Premier League etc have a clue what they're doing. 

3 hours ago, westernpark said:

Maybe they're "armchair fans" because they can't afford to go anymore?