Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

Even I wouldn't have predicted Potter being this crap at Chelsea. He's a slow and careful builder and he was never going to get them scoring goals, his teams struggle by and large in that regard.

I'd have expected him to have created a bit of togetherness though but it's all very beige and characterless.

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Even I wouldn't have predicted Potter being this crap at Chelsea. He's a slow and careful builder and he was never going to get them scoring goals, his teams struggle by and large in that regard.

I'd have expected him to have created a bit of togetherness though but it's all very beige and characterless.

Classic case of the grass is not always greener

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think that’s Chelsea as a club though. 

I doubt for a second he has had much of a say in the recruitment policy. The owner just seems to be playing real life FM on cheat mode. I’m not sure there is many managers who wouldn’t struggle with the mess they have become but someone who comes in and benefits from players signed before (like a Rodgers) would stand more chance a ‘builder’ type manager who Potter is. 

Similar with Cooper at Forest. He’s doing a great job given the shambles that their transfer business has been.

Basically I don’t think that the outcome of his job there will really reflect that badly on him overall. 

Edited by LCFCJohn

17 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

I think that’s Chelsea as a club though. 

I doubt for a second he has had much of a say in the recruitment policy. The owner just seems to be playing real life FM on cheat mode. I’m not sure there is many managers who wouldn’t struggle with the mess they have become but someone who comes in and benefits from players signed before (like a Rodgers) would stand more chance a ‘builder’ type manager who Potter is. 

Similar with Cooper at Forest. He’s doing a great job given the shambles that their transfer business has been.

Basically I don’t think that the outcome of his job there will really reflect that badly on him overall. 

Agree - working for Boehly is like being a general in Putin´s Army.  Having to work with an irrational moron who knows very little on the subject is going to end in tears, although Potter will be wedged up and not shot.

Name a manager who has had any sort of sustained success at Chelsea in the last 15 years. Even the elite managers of the time (Mourinho, Conte, Tuchel) seemed to have one good season before the wheels fell off. It's basically Watford with billionaires, a horrificly toxic brand.

9 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

It makes me laugh that he's gone to a club with all their resources and he still has the same problem that he did at Brighton, a squad with loads of ability to keep the ball but no decent finishers. Like he still hasn't got a proper striker. 

Not his fault obviously but still makes me chuckle. 

That said, I do strongly suspect its a bit of an excuse. I just think he struggles coaching any actual forward penetration. 

• Like 1

Potter isn’t in control at chelsea

ziyech was clearly considered ‘not required’ by the people there who make these calls 

yet potter starts him in many games since the mucked up loan deal to psg fell through. 

i wonder if he’d actually walk, considering how much this is affecting his family life ?  I don’t think other clubs will consider he’s trashed his reputation, given how the club is being run. 

11 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Name a manager who has had any sort of sustained success at Chelsea in the last 15 years. Even the elite managers of the time (Mourinho, Conte, Tuchel) seemed to have one good season before the wheels fell off. It's basically Watford with billionaires, a horrificly toxic brand.

And the success!

I don't know if their fan demanded the likes of Jose, Conte or Tuchel to be sacked  either at the time  - certainly the latter was very popular which only increase the negativity aimed at Potter.

Under the previous owner think the players had all the power and basically if they were't happy the managers went. 

Certainly no excuse to not even to look like scoring with the talent Chelsea have but he has had players thrown at him like confetti. 

Edited by Super_horns

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

And the success!

I don't know if their fan demanded the likes of Jose, Conte or Tuchel to be sacked  either at the time  - certainly the latter was very popular which only increase the negativity aimed at Potter.

Under the previous owner think the players had all the power and basically if they were't happy the managers went. 

Certainly no excuse to not even to look like scoring with the talent Chelsea have but he has had players thrown at him like confetti. 

It's raining men at Chelsea? :P 

• Like 1

Potter is a decent manager, but the Chelsea job was always going to be tough ask. He's gone from being at Brighton, with decent squad with little budget to a Chelsea team full of talent with a open cheque book. Just always felt like a wrong fit. Potter when at Brighton and Swansea, he had full control at Chelsea there's too much interference from above. The club are buying players based on imagine and commercial rather than would they fit in Potter's system. Poch had the same issue at PSG. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It makes me laugh that he's gone to a club with all their resources and he still has the same problem that he did at Brighton, a squad with loads of ability to keep the ball but no decent finishers. Like he still hasn't got a proper striker. 

Not his fault obviously but still makes me chuckle. 

That said, I do strongly suspect its a bit of an excuse. I just think he struggles coaching any actual forward penetration. 

Going forwards he actually wasn't that bad in Sweden and at Swansea wasn't either, he got Ollie McBurnie scoring 20+ in the Championship so he can clearly do it.

12 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

In his defence, he basically had a whole new spine of the team signed in January. This season is essentially a write off, would expect to see an improvement towards the end of the season and then take that into the new season. If the owner can go 10 minutes without spunking billions on new players in the summer, then next season is when he should really be judged.

Their seems to be very little identity atm, whereas his Brighton team had a very clear way of paying and generally looked fairly dangerous, if often lacking the ability to put the ball in the net for whatever reasons.

Suppose that happens when you come in, start to work with a bunch of new players and then have more new players thrown on top that aren't necessarily needed.

He really shouldn't be judged until next season, unless Boehly throws another bunch of midfielders at him. 

You'd expect them to pick up as Chillwell and James get more match fitness. 

Management isn't about quick fixes and immediate results, it shouldn't be anyway. It should be about clear and measured progress.

@Ric Flair the 2nd half of this post really was nothing to do with yours and just my general thoughts haha.

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Going forwards he actually wasn't that bad in Sweden and at Swansea wasn't either, he got Ollie McBurnie scoring 20+ in the Championship so he can clearly do it.

True but you're talking about breaking down a completely different calibre of defence. It's a little bit easier to find space and create chances when teams aren't as well drilled. 

Coaching Potter's brand of football is exceptionally difficult against Premier League qualify defences expertly drilled, Rodgers has found that out the hard way too at times. There's a reason Pep is as well regarded as he is and even then he does it with some of the best players in the world and still occasionally fails. 

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

True but you're talking about breaking down a completely different calibre of defence. It's a little bit easier to find space and create chances when teams aren't as well drilled. 

Coaching Potter's brand of football is exceptionally difficult against Premier League qualify defences expertly drilled, Rodgers has found that out the hard way too at times. There's a reason Pep is as well regarded as he is and even then he does it with some of the best players in the world and still occasionally fails. 

Yeah but think you're downplaying that it's OLI MCBURNIE 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Potter is a decent manager, but the Chelsea job was always going to be tough ask. He's gone from being at Brighton, with decent squad with little budget to a Chelsea team full of talent with a open cheque book. Just always felt like a wrong fit. Potter when at Brighton and Swansea, he had full control at Chelsea there's too much interference from above. The club are buying players based on imagine and commercial rather than would they fit in Potter's system. Poch had the same issue at PSG. 

Youre not talking about Ashley Barnes and Demarai Gray here, youre talking about some of the best players and best young prospects in europe.

Any manager worth their salt would love to inherit a loaded owner willing to invest almost limitless sums of money into the team and said players, the truth is Potter has failed.

If anything the people above him arent inerfering enough, hes totally out of his depth, im surprised he has lasted this long.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lionator said:

The managers dont need to have sustained success, its Chelsea the club that needs the success, not individuals, they are only custodians of the club.

Their approach hasnt proved to be wrong.

6 minutes ago, LestahGOAT said:

Youre not talking about Ashley Barnes and Demarai Gray here, youre talking about some of the best players and best young prospects in europe.

Any manager worth their salt would love to inherit a loaded owner willing to invest almost limitless sums of money into the team and said players, the truth is Potter has failed.

If anything the people above him arent inerfering enough, hes totally out of his depth, im surprised he has lasted this long.

they might have a load of great young prospects but that doesn't make a great team if there's zero balance to the squad, and that's basically what has happened with Ted Lasso as chairman, just throwing millions at anyone he likes the look of with no thought about squad building. it's akin to Real Madrid's galacticos in the late 2000s, and while they were signing anyone who had a bit of hype, Barca signed to a squad structure and with an identity in mind, and completely outstripped them

1 hour ago, LestahGOAT said:

Well look at Pep he's brought nearly every top talent he's had success but yet to win the champions league with Man City. Just shows not about just about buying world class, it's about buying the right players for the right team. Chelsea has is stands are just overloading the squad even before they think where they can fit. It's like buy now think later. 

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1

Just now, Leicesterpool said:

Well look at Pep he's brought nearly every top talent he's had success but yet to win the champions league with Man City. Just shows no just about buying world class, it's about buying the right players for the right team. Chelsea has is stands are just overloading the squad even before they think where they can fit. It's like buy now think later. 

They need Mourhino for a 3rd term…And 3yrs breathing space to rebuild…

Or stay with Potter and give him also that time,to bring his prowess  and building skills after assessment of the whole squad…

As a BVB fan I can’t warm to Tuchel,but they should of kept him…