Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

It makes me laugh that he's gone to a club with all their resources and he still has the same problem that he did at Brighton, a squad with loads of ability to keep the ball but no decent finishers. Like he still hasn't got a proper striker. 

Not his fault obviously but still makes me chuckle. 

That said, I do strongly suspect its a bit of an excuse. I just think he struggles coaching any actual forward penetration. 

the thing is, we all know the hardest thing to find in football is a goal scorer. I think anyone would look at that club and be hard pressed as to who should play as the #9 

Maybe it is harsh to blame it on him. 

He’s gone from being stuck with welbeck and maupay to having no real option for that role other than a false 9 or a sulking aubamayang who i think everyone knows is finished.

he could be the problem but it’s almost impossible to tell. Tuchel experienced the same issue and at least he had a £100m striker in the squad

Theres also the long term vision in the signings… they are all rough around the edges and still learning. It was never going to be an instant success. 

Plus he has the problem cooper had at forrest, but with larger egos to manage.  

He’s right about arteta, whoever goes in has to be hated at first while they sort everything out. But it’s not a patience you tend to get at a big club 

Edited by Lambert09

I know they've only been in charge for 16 months but even in that time it has got a lot harder. Man City will always be up there (I don't think anything serious will come from the investigation), Liverpool will be strong again, Chelsea are spending too much to fail long term and now you have to throw in Man United and Arsenal seemingly a lot stronger than October last season.

Newcastle have made huge progress but you've seen in the past six weeks that the squad needs upgrading and probably the manager too to win the big trophies. 

They'll win a trophy or two but I can't see them dominating.

• Like 1

People are talking about Potter as if its just a little bit of a struggle to get some consistent results together.  Its 2 wins in 15, and they have scored 4 goals in 2023. Its rot on a completely different scale to anything I've seen at a big club. And this isn't about trying to shoehorn a few misfits together, he has seasoned internationals and upcoming talent at his disposal. To get those sorts of stats with what he has is incredible.  I think many are so blinkered by the Potter roadshow that they are desperate for it to turn around because they want another English manager to succeed. If he manages it, great, and i will put my hand up and say congrats, but i struggled to see why everyone thought he was the nuts at Brighton (we scored 20 more goals) and i personally don't think he has the ability to see this gig out. Furthermore, he knew exactly what he as getting himself into at Chelsea, and death threats aside (scum), recruitment and the pressure have been what he should have accepted.

• Like 3

I see Ivan Toney had admitted the betting charges so will he be banned before the season ends or wait till next season starts?

Apparently it might be weeks/months rather than games banned for so Brentford will probably want it to kick in ASAP. 

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

I see Ivan Toney had admitted the betting charges so will he be banned before the season ends or wait till next season starts?

Apparently it might be weeks/months rather than games banned for so Brentford will probably want it to kick in ASAP. 

I’ve read various opinions on this -  I expect Brentford to try and manipulate the ban so that it is in place during  June/July/aug. If it’s six months then he is effectively only missing two and a half of those.  On a pragmatic basis that means they throw away any ideas about qualifying for europe and get it to begin asap ….

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’ve read various opinions on this -  I expect Brentford to try and manipulate the ban so that it is in place during  June/July/aug. If it’s six months then he is effectively only missing two and a half of those.  On a pragmatic basis that means they throw away any ideas about qualifying for europe and get it to begin asap ….

Apparently he should be back for Brentford’s 2-2 draw on the last day of the season. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

Everton playing with a clear identity, with confidence and a strong work ethic.

And they're worrying Arsenal.

Why can't we have this. Wish we binned Rodgers off for Dyche.

Dyche taught everyone how to compete with Arsenal a few weeks back. Brendan chose to ignore it and go the more respectful ‘might nick a goal’ route.