Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

1 minute ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Why anyone at all thought xG was worth inventing or thinks it is worth noticing or discussing is beyond me, it really is. In a crowded field, it's a strong contender for most stupidly useless statistic ever.

So tell me - how many chances or opportunities did we create last Saturday ?

i think the Xg stat was very informative in that particular game 

• Like 2

Just now, st albans fox said:

So tell me - how many chances or opportunities did we create last Saturday ?

i think the Xg stat was very informative in that particular game 

I don't need a stat to tell me we created nothing last week. The evidence was right in front of me at the game.

• Like 3

Just now, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Why anyone at all thought xG was worth inventing or thinks it is worth noticing or discussing is beyond me, it really is. In a crowded field, it's a strong contender for most stupidly useless statistic ever.

I’m no expert but analytics like this pretty much drive every successful club in the world at the moment. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I’m no expert but analytics like this pretty much drive every successful club in the world at the moment. 

I'm no expert either to be fair. But while I know clubs have massively detailed analysis of how they and everyone else scores/doesn't score, concedes/doesn't concede, I'd be suprised if they find xG much use.

1 minute ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Do you really need statistics to tell you that we were unlikely to score in that game??

Do we really need you to scream at us that statistics are "stupidly useless", then turn around a few minutes later and admit how accurate they can be?

Have a day off.  You're clowning yourself here.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Stats don’t exist solely for you though do they? 

Who leaves the game, or reads about the game, and thinks they need an xG stat to see how Leicester did?

Look at shots on the report, it said 1. Look at shots on target on the report, it said 0.

I'm not saying the xG stat is pointless, before anybody starts, but for games such as ours on Saturday what is the point. And what's worse is people then bringing it up "oh we had 0.01 xG", or whatever, well obviously yeah.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Oh wow guys I've found Graeme Souness' FoxesTalk account.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 4

32 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Do we really need you to scream at us that statistics are "stupidly useless", then turn around a few minutes later and admit how accurate they can be?

Have a day off.  You're clowning yourself here.

Lol. You clearly haven't understood a word I've said, which probably won't surprise many people.

I'll explain it for you. I didn't say 'statistics' are stupidly useless; I said xG was probably the most stupidly useless of statistics. Is that distinction something you can comprehend?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

ol. You clearly haven't understood a word I've said, which probably won't surprise many people.

I'll explain it for you. I didn't say 'statistics' are stupidly useless; I said xG was probably the most stupidly useless of statistics. Is that distinction something you can comprehend?

Look, I really don't mean to be any more inflammatory than I usually am, but you probably don't want to be questioning someone else's comprehension and then claiming xG is the most useless of statistics. 

Just because you don't understand something it doesn't mean it's worthless. xG has become a bit of a byword for "new football statistics that we didn't really use to have" that seems to really trigger football traditionalists who probably used to think Motty brought up too many stats and whom probably have a heart attack at the thought of data analysts at City sitting showing the players all their metrics on an iPad.

It gets so much more attention than any other indicator and it's become popular for statistics cynics to, lets be honest here, parrot each other bashing xG. 

But I'd honestly like you to stop a moment and explain to me, if you can, why you think an indicator that measures quality and quantity of chances created is "stupidly useless?" Because to me that sounds extremely useful.

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But I'd honestly like you to stop a moment and explain to me, if you can, why you think an indicator that measures quality and quantity of chances created is "stupidly useless?"

Because if you watch a football match it's pretty obvious how likely a team is to score. Basically they're either very likely, quite likely, quite unlikely, or couldn't score in a month of Sundays. How is it helpful to have that expressed as an 'expected goals' including decimal places?

In all honesty, it might be the name they give it I have an issue with as much as the statistic itself.

But on the whole I do think football is better off without statistics. It isn't baseball. (And I don't mean for the clubs; I can see why they try to get any tiny advantage they can in a business of tight margins and high stakes). But they don't improve the experience one jot for me, and of all the statistics I'm presented with if I watch a match on telly, xG is very high up my list of the ones I find pointless. As I say, I'm watching the match. I can see how likely each team is to score.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Because if you watch a football match it's pretty obvious how likely a team is to score. Basically they're either very likely, quite likely, quite unlikely, or couldn't score in a month of Sundays. How is it helpful to have that expressed as an 'expected goals' including decimal places?

In all honesty, it might be the name they give it I have an issue with as much as the statistic itself.

But on the whole I do think football is better off without statistics. It isn't baseball. (And I don't mean for the clubs; I can see why they try to get any tiny advantage they can in a business of tight margins and high stakes). But they don't improve the experience one jot for me, and of all the statistics I'm presented with if I watch a match on telly, xG is very high up my list of the ones I find pointless. As I say, I'm watching the match. I can see how likely each team is to score.

Do you watch every game every team plays and have a perfect memory that allows you to recall each chance they create?

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

But the actual value of xG is for the club, not you on your sofa at home.

I was talking about for me on my sofa at home. I'm talking about 'xG' as it exists as a statistic presented to the average consumer. That's what's stupidly useless. Clubs have all sorts of analysis of everything, and that's their lookout. I'm not talking about that.

19 minutes ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

I think that’s a point right there. You’re watching the match = you don’t need the statistic. What if you’re not watching the match? Statistics generally are something that can be rolled up to indicate performances over one match, several matches, a whole season - or to be compared to similar metrics from other clubs.

The phrase: “lies, damn lies and statistics” exists for a reason. Statistics can only tell you so much. But businesses across the globe are managed through the balance of risk with data provided by statistics and people are paid billions to assess them. 

Calling one statistic “stupid” or “useless” because you don’t like it is rather missing the point. It’s an indicator than you can either use or choose not to depending on the value you find in it. Personally, I rather like the xG stat. I always look for it for games when I’ve only seen a brief highlight of the whole as an indicator of which team had the better of the game for the full 90. As we know possession, shots, shots on target are other measures, but I think xG compliments them well. I’m also willing to bet that xG over a period of time could be analogous to a teams actual performance and position in the table. 

Statistics in football is a huge industry now. The way I think of it is the stats might not prove that a player is worth signing, but they very well might determine whether the player is worth watching in the first place. 

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

I'll be amazed if Howe ever wins the FA Cup.

Think he's a good manager. Was referring to the Liverpool epic series. Never let a good deed go unpunished. Enemies never tire of throwing that in his face. All managers owe him a debt of gratitude for showing them the power of editing.:P

1 hour ago, Manley Farrington-Brown said:

Football Manager? A stats best friend. Just guessing never played.