Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I don't see the appeal to the fans. A mix of first team, reserve and youth players playing at half speed in a game that means nothing.

Americans wont care.  Every game means something to them.

3 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Americans wont care.  Every game means something to them.

You should tell that to the baseball fans :D

I watched Dodgers vs Angels in a pre season friendly and it was one of the longest most boring things I've ever had to witness. The highlight was a small earthquake that happened during the game.

The Americans do seem to be very good at faking excitement though to be fair, I thought some guy was going to jizz his pants when he served me a beer at the basketball.  "RIGHT ON SIR! I'M GONNA MAKE THAT ONE REAL TALL AND REAL FROSTY FOR YOU"

Everyone must be on Adderall! haha

• Haha 3

On 11/04/2023 at 16:41, Facecloth said:

Well at least they're pretty local. Not like switching a weekend game to midweek when the two clubs are 100s of miles apart.

Not everyone lives around the corner, though. Moving from Saturday to Tuesday is bad enough but at under three weeks notice, after it had already been fixed up, is treating fans terribly.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Nothing wrong with American football fans, stop being so snobbish.  People love the game and want to see some premier league teams playing. Good for them.

Nowt to do with the fans per se, Jon. More to do with the fact that the British league is steadily getting Americanised and I don't like it.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Nothing wrong with American football fans, stop being so snobbish.  People love the game and want to see some premier league teams playing. Good for them.

41CE4EA3-4534-426E-85AF-4FC578067B7A.jpeg.f00a9b97dfb609827e543c9d7ec612c6.jpeg

AND

1E1E590E-C41B-4AF2-9A0E-98E29EDE04D2.jpeg.0b1348b28c5da607a47e6062fda60ca4.jpeg

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Nowt to do with the fans per se, Jon. More to do with the fact that the British league is steadily getting Americanised and I don't like it.

Where..is the big bad American footprint over our precious PL..

Just interested in your pov..

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Have you been to the city recently? Or any Premier League games?

Fan cams and T-shirt cannons abound. The desperate attempts to generate a Super League without relegation. Majority American ownership of clubs. Discussions over a 39th match have been conducted over the years. The language surrounding football has undergone forced change. Longer and long term contracts coupled with the deification of players beyond reasonable expectations. The model of youth recruitment is looking more and more Americanised too. The whole 'matchday experience' bollocks that has been coupled with the NFLs presence in the UK is not a coincidence.

And being interested in my Point of View is one thing but coupling it with the facetious use of 'big bad' and 'precious' isn't in the spirit of debate and discussion. It's you being an arse.

I'll be all for americanisation of the league If we start getting the MLS ticket prices, their large standing areas, and their legal use of pyro.

Fulhams ticket prices for next season include Platinum Upper seats available at £3000, with special discounts for over 65s at £2800 and juniors at £2500.

Edited by purpleronnie

This “PL summer series” isn’t rocket science.

The PL is one of the remaining super-premium goods in a post-Brexit UK economy declining from the second to the third tier in the world league.  Domestic consumers are squeezed to where they can hardly afford the real product -- and summer friendlies are a crap product.  Why not tour them where they will gain three or four times the sales? 

Oh right, to try to train and evaluate your squad instead of exhausting it.  Oh well, there’s bigger fish to fry.  Those are huge squad bills to pay.  Especially if you can’t rely on Russian oligarchs or whiffy Asian gambling fronts.

• Haha 1

The American “soccer” fan is a myth. There’s a reason why the MLS is the 3rd most popular league in the US and the US National Team is not the most popular national team in the US - all those “soccer” numbers are propped big time by Mexican fans who have little interest in the MLS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phenom said:

The American “soccer” fan is a myth. There’s a reason why the MLS is the 3rd most popular league in the US and the US National Team is not the most popular national team in the US - all those “soccer” numbers are propped big time by Mexican fans who have little interest in the MLS.

Spot on - watch any US v Mexico game in the US, and it sounds/looks like a home game for Mexico.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Have you been to the city recently? Or any Premier League games?

Fan cams and T-shirt cannons abound. The desperate attempts to generate a Super League without relegation. Majority American ownership of clubs. Discussions over a 39th match have been conducted over the years. The language surrounding football has undergone forced change. Longer and long term contracts coupled with the deification of players beyond reasonable expectations. The model of youth recruitment is looking more and more Americanised too. The whole 'matchday experience' bollocks that has been coupled with the NFLs presence in the UK is not a coincidence.

And being interested in my Point of View is one thing but coupling it with the facetious use of 'big bad' and 'precious' isn't in the spirit of debate and discussion. It's you being an arse.

You take my thoughts out of perspective and context...but if I am an arse so be it...

Football opened the gate years ago to different culture..

Maybe our whole lives have become Americanised who knows..

I mentioned in another post if any UK sport started the draft or no relegation,or we drop our UK/ European traditions,it will kill that sport,I would fight,demonstrate & remonstrate against such movement,but future generations are the custodians of those UK/ European traditions..

I believe sport can evolve,but anything crass and too heavy towards passifying American business,would mean anything  crass & OTT, at root & profi level, European fans would walk away and rebuild a new path..any super League would collapse,or just hope to survive for the TV-plastic-tourist fan...2 world's maybe.

It's not just UK sporting fans,but world wide,probably also in USA, most fans adhere to that traditional base mark & origins that made those individual "new" sports..

Why if you think about it

Non-relegation & transfer draft in sport is actually against the American way & Trane of thought,

Even too much of a communist social-balancing ideology, but they have encompassed it in their sports..weird.!!

Big business USA or European gets lost up their own arses,they ,those individuals with their cronies,will alway be blind to the grass-root needs  branching handshaking into the profi players self. Not forgetting the super League was being pushed by big European businessmen,

So far European fans including from Spanish clubs have roundly

said fxck-off...

The marketing of the product is a total different thing,the full game day experience has improved,but need twerking how & what it sells..don't be silly over merchandising,the big sell comes from within, clappers no different to rattlers, selling team kits,double team scarfs not new ,happened way back in the 50s the fans love it,can't get enough. And FFS nobody can organise decent snacks and drinks for a decent price..Though the German stadia,aren't bad, has other nations also have decent faire..UK is just crap..

Americans might improve VAR technic & honesty..Also have officials having to give gameday interviews..

It's a question of differenciating  onfield and organised competition regalment with the off-field merchandising plus the hard sell. Most fans like the 2 Nd part & the improved gameday experience..

Including the club shop..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Phenom said:

I am….mythical?  
:source:

The main reasons the MLS is the third most popular league is history, advertising money, and the fact that football/soccer is not the sport the majority of kids played in the last 20 years. A lot of that is changing now but regardless there’s no reason to throw generalizations around. On top of that, the amount of money thrown around the premiere league over the past few seasons combined with the teams owned by sovereign wealth has led me to appreciate the MLS more than ever this season. I think that model is something everyone can appreciate to some extent if it keeps some parity in competition. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, KingsX said:

This “PL summer series” isn’t rocket science.

The PL is one of the remaining super-premium goods in a post-Brexit UK economy declining from the second to the third tier in the world league.  Domestic consumers are squeezed to where they can hardly afford the real product -- and summer friendlies are a crap product.  Why not tour them where they will gain three or four times the sales? 

Oh right, to try to train and evaluate your squad instead of exhausting it.  Oh well, there’s bigger fish to fry.  Those are huge squad bills to pay.  Especially if you can’t rely on Russian oligarchs or whiffy Asian gambling fronts.

Tell me you're offended without telling me you're offended

9 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

13a42390-d854-11ed-833b-0920d8657169.jpg

43031a50-d855-11ed-9f3d-31796b4ac855.png

Shocking stuff, this. Archie Rhind-tutt mentioned it on the GFW podcast yesterday as well as he's a Fulham fan and he was incredulous. Think they've ramped up the matchday prices as well.

He also mentioned exactly what'd happen here if those prices were mooted "well you've gotta increase income to generate revenue to compete" which we all know it utter rubbish when the ticket money barely covers a couple of months on the wage bill.

100% you'd get the KPFC lot on here if our cheapest season ticket in a stand being £1,250 defending it as some noble thing for the club to do.

• Like 1

Finnish businessman Thomas Zilliacus has withdrawn his offer to buy Manchester United, telling ESPN the process is "a farce."

However, the founder and chairman of social media organisation novaM Group said on Wednesday he will not participate in the process any longer after merchant bank The Raine Group, acting on behalf of United owners the Glazer family, indicated they will ask for third bids from interested parties.

Sources told ESPN that the Glazers value United at £6 billion, although there is also interest from U.S. hedge funds willing to make a minority investment, and there are growing fears among bidders keen on a full takeover that the Glazers do not have any serious intention of selling.

"I have decided not to participate in a third round," Zilliacus told ESPN. "The bidding has turned into a farce in which the Glazers, at the expense of the club, focus purely on driving up the bid to the 6 billion pounds they want for the club."

Zilliacus is one of three bidders to make an offer public along with Qatari banker Sheikh Jassim and Ineos owner Sir Jim Ratcliffe. Sources have told ESPN there are another five bidders -- at this stage still private -- who are talking to Raine.

"They have three serious bids on the table: Sheikh Jassim's, Jim Ratcliffe's and mine," Zilliacus added. "The right way would be to negotiate with us three, not to ask everyone to once more submit a new bid. "I think some of the [Glazer] siblings don't want to sell, while others want to sell only if the price is minimum £6bn."

Some sources have indicated to ESPN that the Glazers, highly unpopular owners since taking over at Old Trafford in a leveraged buy-out in 2005, may value United at even higher than £6bn, particularly after NFL team, the Washington Commanders, received takeover bids of more than £5.6bn.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-united-engman_utd/story/4922716/manchester-united-sale-finnish-businessman-zilliacus-out

40 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

13a42390-d854-11ed-833b-0920d8657169.jpg

43031a50-d855-11ed-9f3d-31796b4ac855.png

A Fulham fan has hit the nail on the head on their forum though -

Shocking prices.

But, people will buy them. Does the club prefer dodgy Pete who will sing loud or posh Lawrence who will buy the £10 pint of beer at half time?

9 hours ago, Fox of WA said:

I am….mythical?  
:source:

The main reasons the MLS is the third most popular league is history, advertising money, and the fact that football/soccer is not the sport the majority of kids played in the last 20 years. A lot of that is changing now but regardless there’s no reason to throw generalizations around. On top of that, the amount of money thrown around the premiere league over the past few seasons combined with the teams owned by sovereign wealth has led me to appreciate the MLS more than ever this season. I think that model is something everyone can appreciate to some extent if it keeps some parity in competition. 

Money is being thrown around the MLS but very few are buying. Apple is already regretting their TV contract in year one, just like the previous TV rights people did before them.