Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

21 hours ago, Phenom said:

The American “soccer” fan is a myth. There’s a reason why the MLS is the 3rd most popular league in the US and the US National Team is not the most popular national team in the US - all those “soccer” numbers are propped big time by Mexican fans who have little interest in the MLS.

20 hours ago, marbles said:

Spot on - watch any US v Mexico game in the US, and it sounds/looks like a home game for Mexico.

Sorry, but this is just lazy.

The fact that there are only two gigantic and historic leagues in the U.S. that average higher average attendance than MLS is hardly a shot against soccer or that league. 

That MLS isn’t a powerhouse league isn’t really an indictment of soccer either, especially in a country oversaturated with the coverage and access to so many sports. The amount of global football that’s so easy to watch in America would be completely unfathomable in England. 

And that the Mexican national team is so popular in the States doesn’t mean that the US national team is unpopular. I really think some people just cannot wrap their heads around just how many Mexicans and Mexican-Americans live in the United States, especially in the southwest, where many USA vs. Mexico games are played (it’s only fair that confederation and Nations League finals are played where both sets of fans will be represented).

The American games against England, the Netherlands, and Iran were the most-watched games in the country this past World Cup. All of those games had millions of more viewers than Argentina vs. Mexico, surprisingly enough.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The_77 said:

The fact that there are only two gigantic and historic leagues in the U.S. that average higher average attendance than MLS is hardly a shot against soccer or that league. 

That MLS isn’t a powerhouse league isn’t really an indictment of soccer either, especially in a country oversaturated with the coverage and access to so many sports. The amount of global football that’s so easy to watch in America would be completely unfathomable in England. 

And that the Mexican national team is so popular in the States doesn’t mean that the US national team is unpopular. I really think some people just cannot wrap their heads around just how many Mexicans and Mexican-Americans live in the United States, especially in the southwest, where many USA vs. Mexico games are played (it’s only fair that confederation and Nations League finals are played where both sets of fans will be represented).

The American games against England, the Netherlands, and Iran were the most-watched games in the country this past World Cup. All of those games had millions of more viewers than Argentina vs. Mexico, surprisingly enough.  

And this is coming from the first person who will rip on MLS, just ask @Jordan if you don’t believe me. lol

3 hours ago, The_77 said:

Americans jump on board during the World Cup, but only a small percentage stick around after it’s over and start watching/following their local MLS team. 

I go every year to watch the Mexican National Team play friendlies in front of 80,000+ fans at Cowboy Stadium.  The same place that drew less than 35,000 for US v Costa Rica in a Gold Cup Semi-Final a few years ago.

This is not to say there are no US soccer fans.  There are a lot of dedicated MLS fans.  I just happen to think the majority of shout soccer fans prefer outside leagues.

Edited by marbles

There seems to have been a big cultural change in families shown in films in the US, In the past every family shown playing a sport outside it was always American Football or Baseball now so many are shown playing soccer, the same applies to when schools are involved. Whether this is factual in  real life I don't know but the change is very obvious in cinema.

For me Bellingham is playing at is best, playing abroad I think the best for his career and england for him to remain abroad. I can understand him wanting to move on from Dortmund. But there's better offers than move to the Premier League.

I'm just thinking of Jandon Sancho situation.

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 2

Man Utd players dropping like flys just when we need them to show up at Forest at the weekend and batter them ffs

We've created our own downfall but what with injuries, VAR decisions and now it always seems our rivals face a big team at the right time

2 hours ago, davieG said:

There seems to have been a big cultural change in families shown in films in the US, In the past every family shown playing a sport outside it was always American Football or Baseball now so many are shown playing soccer, the same applies to when schools are involved. Whether this is factual in  real life I don't know but the change is very obvious in cinema.

My lad’s pre-school here has them all playing and goes through the ages to high school. Most people you speak to who are interested in the sport have a premier league team they follow. 

7 hours ago, marbles said:

Americans jump on board during the World Cup, but only a small percentage stick around after it’s over and start watching/following their local MLS team. 

I go every year to watch the Mexican National Team play friendlies in front of 80,000+ fans at Cowboy Stadium.  The same place that drew less than 35,000 for US v Costa Rica in a Gold Cup Semi-Final a few years ago.

This is not to say there are no US soccer fans.  There are a lot of dedicated MLS fans.  I just happen to think the majority of shout soccer fans prefer outside leagues.

At W.cup time that phenomenon is not unique to USA, also through old traditional football countries.Many part time fans,will follow the big international competitions 

and have little interest or time to follow their local clubs….

So many are out grafting to make a living,come W.cup/Afcon/S.American cup/European championships….

They will watch take “some” time off then get back

grinding their lives out. Other fans in UK/Germany etc love football,know their local club,show certain offbeat  interest in their league,but only come alive at international competition time…Family/other past times/ survival take up of more of their lives….

330 million people in America,more than most parts of Europe added together.   So many other things to get on with…And yes even in the UK, hell of a lot of people who through their whole lives don’t even follow any sport,or only other choices.

So a bit silly trying to make an agenda on USA interests, where they just might have

the same amount of fanatics, has 5-6 top european/S.American etc football crazy countries.

and USA sport business focussed elsewhere…where many grass-root fans are not supported.

Edited by fuchsntf

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Now this is big, surely the player  has huge potential to take legal action due to loss of income/damage of reputation? 

IIRC he only had a year left on his contract so he could only really claim for one from Everton, though could argue he was denied a lucrative move to a bigger club. 

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

IIRC he only had a year left on his contract so he could only really claim for one from Everton, though could argue he was denied a lucrative move to a bigger club. 

He would likely have been suspended with pay, obviously that doesn’t include the fact he has missed out on bonuses from not being able to play. Though he’s clearly missed out on potential earnings since July, as he couldn’t sign for another club. Sounds very messy.

5 minutes ago, westernpark said:

He would likely have been suspended with pay, obviously that doesn’t include the fact he has missed out on bonuses from not being able to play. Though he’s clearly missed out on potential earnings since July, as he couldn’t sign for another club. Sounds very messy.

Even being cleared, what club would take him now. He will claim for future earnings, though who he claims from is anyones guess.

The police have to do their job, though the 2 years to sort it will be a question by the solicitors im sure.

22 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Now this is big, surely the player  has huge potential to take legal action due to loss of income/damage of reputation? 

I posted the circumstances around this a few weeks ago. 
i doubt the player will want to bring this to the sustained forefront of the media which a claim will lead to. I suspect he’ll just be content that he isn’t being prosecuted. Given those circumstances, I wouldn’t rule out a civil case though - if that happens then I suppose he may as well try and claim for any losses. 

I would think that the burden of proof for a prosecution is higher than for a civil case (be that the girl against him or against the club against payer ) 

17 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I posted the circumstances around this a few weeks ago. 
i doubt the player will want to bring this to the sustained forefront of the media which a claim will lead to. I suspect he’ll just be content that he isn’t being prosecuted. Given those circumstances, I wouldn’t rule out a civil case though - if that happens then I suppose he may as well try and claim for any losses. 

I would think that the burden of proof for a prosecution is higher than for a civil case (be that the girl against him or against the club against payer ) 

Said pretty much what I was going to say.

File this one under 'deffo happened and everyone knows it, but not enough to convict' and by that basis he'll probably happilly retire into nothingness with no futher scrutiny.

14 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

😂😂😂😂 unreal! Brendan’s  love of stationary is infectious 

Yep terry has a lot to sort out, I don’t play Sunday league lol but I would expect some kind of pressure towards the ball lol 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

46 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Get your applications in to sort VAR out. 

https://jobsinfootball.com/job/46975/var-manager/

"Knowledge:

·        Expert level of understanding of VAR procedures, processes and protocols."

That's all the PL refs out the running then.

Edit...

"Desirable:

·        Experience of working in a football or NGB environment."

Desirable being experience in football. Explains a great deal.

Edited by Zear0
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

After what Leeds had to pay that bloke for wages and loss of further income, I imagine it’ll be absolutely huge.

On 13/04/2023 at 20:34, filbertway said:

Absolutely nothing story and I hate the world we live where people are clamouring to make a deal out of. Have a chat and shake hands. Job done.

I wonder why such a big deal was made out of it? Must be to do with *checks notes on which club was involved*

• Like 1

I get his point although the two managers in question probably aren't the best examples. I don't follow foreign football greatly but what exactly has Nagelsmann done in his career so far? Do decent stuff at Hoffenheim despite them being fairly decent before that, then do as expected at Bayern? Is the draw to him that he's done this at a young age?? Has he managed another club?

Chelsea can do so much better than Lampard but us (English) fans judge English managers and players to a much, much higher standard than foreigners. If Haaland or Mbappe were English we'd look left right and centre for any excuse to dismiss their world class status. Yet Harry Kane isn't allowed in the same category because he's not won any trophies. What has Haaland won in his career? Genuine question as I assume he may have won the Austrian league or perhaps a German Cup but it's not the pinnacle is it. Steven Gerrard did a great job at Rangers but then was mediocre at best with Villa, he's been thrown on the same rubbish dump as Lampard because of one experience. If Julian Smith have the same CV as Julian Nagelsmann he wouldn't be linked with top jobs lol