Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

31 minutes ago, Stinky said:

I get his point although the two managers in question probably aren't the best examples. I don't follow foreign football greatly but what exactly has Nagelsmann done in his career so far? Do decent stuff at Hoffenheim despite them being fairly decent before that, then do as expected at Bayern? Is the draw to him that he's done this at a young age?? Has he managed another club?

He did good at Leipzig as well. He took Leipzig to a CL semi final. He's young and not without flaws but he's levels above Lampard. 

6 minutes ago, Koke said:

He did good at Leipzig as well. He took Leipzig to a CL semi final. He's young and not without flaws but he's levels above Lampard. 

Oh was he in charge when they reached the CL semis? Still RB were one of the better sides behind Bayern when he took over but fair enough, a little better than I originally gave him credit for. 

44 minutes ago, Stinky said:

I get his point although the two managers in question probably aren't the best examples. I don't follow foreign football greatly but what exactly has Nagelsmann done in his career so far? Do decent stuff at Hoffenheim despite them being fairly decent before that, then do as expected at Bayern? Is the draw to him that he's done this at a young age?? Has he managed another club?

Chelsea can do so much better than Lampard but us (English) fans judge English managers and players to a much, much higher standard than foreigners. If Haaland or Mbappe were English we'd look left right and centre for any excuse to dismiss their world class status. Yet Harry Kane isn't allowed in the same category because he's not won any trophies. What has Haaland won in his career? Genuine question as I assume he may have won the Austrian league or perhaps a German Cup but it's not the pinnacle is it. Steven Gerrard did a great job at Rangers but then was mediocre at best with Villa, he's been thrown on the same rubbish dump as Lampard because of one experience. If Julian Smith have the same CV as Julian Nagelsmann he wouldn't be linked with top jobs lol

This is more eloquent but has big "if his name was lampardinho people would be loving it" vibes :D

The time it took you to type that out you could have done a little bit of research into Nagelsmamns career and compared it to that of Lampard. :D

Not a dig, just a suggestion. Europe is a lot bigger than the UK its logical that the pool of talent abroad is going to be greater than the pool of talent in the UK.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

This is more eloquent but has big "if his name was lampardinho people would be loving it" vibes :D

The time it took you to type that out you could have done a little bit of research into Nagelsmamns career and compared it to that of Lampard. :D

Not a dig, just a suggestion. Europe is a lot bigger than the UK its logical that the pool of talent abroad is going to be greater than the pool of talent in the UK.

Think you've missed the point because my post wasn't some sort of passionate defence of Lampard or a Lampard Vs Nagelsmann comparison. It's that a British manager and a foreign manager could do exactly the same job at exactly the same club at exactly the same time and they will be judged differently, more critical of the British manager and depending on how much success they've had, more dismissive of the achievements too. I'm not saying the best talent is here as opposed to abroad. 

13 minutes ago, filbertway said:

was going to say the same thing, its his fancy name lol

1 hour ago, Stinky said:

Chelsea can do so much better than Lampard but us (English) fans judge English managers and players to a much, much higher standard than foreigners. If Haaland or Mbappe were English we'd look left right and centre for any excuse to dismiss their world class status. Yet Harry Kane isn't allowed in the same category because he's not won any trophies. What has Haaland won in his career? Genuine question as I assume he may have won the Austrian league or perhaps a German Cup but it's not the pinnacle is it. Steven Gerrard did a great job at Rangers but then was mediocre at best with Villa, he's been thrown on the same rubbish dump as Lampard because of one experience. If Julian Smith have the same CV as Julian Nagelsmann he wouldn't be linked with top jobs lol

Hoffenheim are cutting above their weight, and is a challenge to see them competing high up the table & like Mainz,not now a great wonder,but like Leicester ( last 7 yrs) Brighton/Brentford welcome irritant to those traditional German famous names.

If one lives in or follows European football..Italy ,Spain are obvious stand outs,

France like their cheese often high up but can be pungent..

Germany some sort of inverted confused paradox…Any season maybe any traditional club regularly top 4-6.Teams like Leipzig

or Union,upset the odds but not quite the holding power come EOS run in..One club commands the whole history of the Bundesliga..in Bayern who win and play consistent top end Champions League,BVB last other recent German Club .

Frankfurt have long history in Europe secondary competition has do some other clubs..One over the years see old English 1st division & PL more competitive…But Internationally German International  football 2nd to none…

Edited by fuchsntf

11 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Think you've missed the point because my post wasn't some sort of passionate defence of Lampard or a Lampard Vs Nagelsmann comparison. It's that a British manager and a foreign manager could do exactly the same job at exactly the same club at exactly the same time and they will be judged differently, more critical of the British manager and depending on how much success they've had, more dismissive of the achievements too. I'm not saying the best talent is here as opposed to abroad. 

But underratingly …as good.  “European” managers, simply because they are foreign,have a UK-media first punt name…

But more assume top names or ex-players fail,just as much as a UK manager,in fact rarely get near top 1-2 or save relegation.

And now in modern UK football,there is more of them than UK coaches given their first chance in top PL teams.

That Potter got the Chelsea call,somewhat suprising,but at present anyone could get the job and struggle…

I reckon both Lampard & Gerrard could make top—decent managers,but both even when offered should of shrugged and said not yet. They should have taken on more in championship or a league down,for 4-6 years.

( Lampard did with Derby,but Derby had too many intern politics going on)…

17 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

signing of the season has got to be Emery by Villa, cant fault what hes done there

Yeah. They were basically level on points with us when he took over and now they're potentially in the running for a CL spot if they win today. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

He also has Amartey in his squad so maybe a relative bad eye sight does his team 

So impressed by his interviews, I've been thinking he could end up in management.

This has disabused me of that notion.

35 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

signing of the season has got to be Emery by Villa, cant fault what hes done there

I’m not big on ‘if onlys’ but had we sacked Rodgers when we should’ve there’s every chance we could’ve got Emery. Had we, I suspect we’d be in the top half now. 

• Like 3

I got bored watching this too many players going down and exaggerating their pain, moaning and arguing with the ref and assistants.

There's far too much cheating and anger in the game.

• Like 4

Interesting seeing how players like Watkins and Toney have flourished in the PL. Post 15/16 and for some time after these are players that we could have been capable of acquiring given our standing but perhaps the established status of Vardy meant they thought their prospects were better elsewhere. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Interesting seeing how players like Watkins and Toney have flourished in the PL. Post 15/16 and for some time after these are players that we could have been capable of acquiring given our standing but perhaps the established status of Vardy meant they thought their prospects were better elsewhere. 

We weren't willing to pay what Villa did for Watkins if I remember.

• Thanks 1