Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

9 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s almost beyond comprehension that having spent the money Everton have under the current owners, they have a team that contains players like Dele Alli, Iwobi and Demari Gray.

They are so going to miss Richarlison, their best player by miles and I’d have no surprise to see this lot relegated.

Chelsea have been waaaaay off it too. Sterling particularly rusty, though in fairness he hasn't struggled for service like I thought he might.

Overall, the gulf in class is apparent - Chelsea cruising this in second gear, Everton looking powderpuff. 

I totally didn't wait 15 minutes to post this because of how tempting fate with Everton came back to bite me on the arse last season lol

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

A lot easier to find some momentum in the Championship though

Aye, it's much easier to put a run together when you're one of the top 10 sides in the league in terms of quality. Not so easy when you're in the bottom five. They'll see a lot of 'bonus games.' Their best hope is to be in touch around March or April time and to play a few sides who have little to play for.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

It’s almost beyond comprehension that having spent the money Everton have under the current owners, they have a team that contains players like Dele Alli, Iwobi and Demari Gray.

They are so going to miss Richarlison, their best player by miles and I’d have no surprise to see this lot relegated.

Missed him today. I thought they battled hard but Chelsea were not at their expected level. Everton need a decent goalscorer. Not sure Rondon is their answer..

Can see why Chelsea would like to add a defender to their squad, with Silva aging and outside the starting 3 they are looking at Chalobah and Sarr or moving Cucarella or James into the back 3, but watching that tonight, they should be concentrating on bringing a striker in.

Chelsea looked fine at the back, but there are gonna be far sterner tests for them in fairness.

In fact, let me rephrase that - there aren't gonna be many, if any, easier tests than today for them. Anthony Gordon, Dele Alli and Demarai Gray have the combined threat of a duck with a limp.

It does make sense why they want to strengthen. They can still (hopefully) go take a long walk off a short pier re: Fofana, until next summer at least.

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

As a point, I'm actually kinda glad Forest didn't get absolutely battered. It's one of those on-paper results where they can kid themselves and hopefully sleepwalk into a crisis, rather than getting a wake-up call to up their game now they're amongst the big boys. 

Bournemouth and Fulham both looked hungry and ready to fight for their place by comparison, and were suitably rewarded today against opposition that woefully underestimated them. The Cherries were a particular surprise, given they've had a crisis summer themselves. In a way, it makes me more optimistic for our own chances, so long as our boys have a little fire in our bellies after the transfer saga siege.

They did get battered though, if Newcastle were sharper upfront it would have been a southamptonesque score, I'm sure the Greek is probably thinking about doing something stupid like sacking Cooper

• Like 1

Forest undoubtedly had a great second half of last season which was in part fuelled by a good cup run where they could go at teams with nothing to lose. They won’t play like that in the premier league as they’ll get punished more often than not. Really looking forward to watching it unfold.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

They did get battered though, if Newcastle were sharper upfront it would have been a southamptonesque score, I'm sure the Greek is probably thinking about doing something stupid like sacking Cooper

I know - I'm thinking more in terms of the mental gymnastics likely on show Trentside (and in the media) right now explaining why they were actually fine and that they won't face a much tougher test all season. There are gonna be a lot of people making excuses for them, because they're the clear hipster's choice for 2022-23, but it will only serve to paper over any cracks that show while they bathe in the admiration from weird keyboard warriors who shower with Lynx and "support" 29 clubs. Fingers crossed their own fans believe the hype. :thumbup:

In reality, they were humbled by a still very-average Newcastle side, far off their expected ceiling with their new investment. But the "rIchEST cLUB IN thE WorLD" comfort blanket could theoretically be used to shrug it off and deflect from the obvious gulf in class between Forest and what will turn out to be little more than a mid-table also-ran.

I know it was in a different division, but I cast my mind back to Norwich getting tonked on the first day of the season back in 2009 by Colchester, and how it ultimately gave them a vital kick up the arse to up their game which ended with them promoted. Or (OK, not first game of the season), us tonking Southampton, leading to them rallying and improving tenfold for the rest of that season (including beating us in the return fixture). Big losses can get a team's tail up. Unless it's us at home to Bolton. :ph34r:

If they are able to kid themselves that their display was in any way acceptable today because of the scoreline and perceived quality of the opposition, or some ill-conceived hope against hope that their wholesale changes "gel" after a while, it kicks the can down the road in terms of addressing the complete lack of attacking intent and schoolboy errors which allowed them to be dominated by a bang average side. That was one of the worst performances I've seen from any side in the top flight in a long time. Meanwhile, both their promoted rivals have picked up excellent results while playing positive footy. It all points to a long, long season for the Trees.

Anyway, I'm done talking about Forest now, some of the results and displays today have made me feel way better about ourselves for the coming season without us kicking a ball. :fishing:

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 3

Guest Col city fan

My summary of the day(s):

- however little Fulham might have spent, It’s clear what their game plan will be this season and the players have clearly signed up to it

- The Spuds look even better

- If Newcastle keep Wilson fit (a big ask) they could push top 6/7. Wood isn’t good enough at this level to score enough.

- Arsenal need ‘a Tielemans’ to get top three

- Nunez is going to score a lot of goals 

- You can’t judge Forest on one game against a very expectant set of Geordies at St James’

- Chelsea have an ageing midfield in Kante and Jorginho. I’m surprised that’s not where they’ve focussed. 
- Leeds will probably win enough at home.

- Gerrard needs to be careful 

- Bournemouth are flattered with their win today. They’ll struggle 

- Palace and Everton don’t look like they’ll score enough goals, especially Everton and especially when playing away from home

That’s it. Cue the FT wums to deride this at their leisure.. 

😉

A post which will no doubt come back to bite me on the arse, but that’s what I think I’ve seen so far.

50 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Cooper will be sacked by Marinakis before the start of the World Cup. 

He knows it also. Unless he's just came out of a cave and he doesn't have a clue who Marinakis is. 

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

My summary of the day(s):

- however little Fulham might have spent, It’s clear what their game plan will be this season and the players have clearly signed up to it

- The Spuds look even better

- If Newcastle keep Wilson fit (a big ask) they could push top 6/7. Wood isn’t good enough at this level to score enough.

- Arsenal need ‘a Tielemans’ to get top three

- Nunez is going to score a lot of goals 

- You can’t judge Forest on one game against a very expectant set of Geordies at St James’

- Chelsea have an ageing midfield in Kante and Jorginho. I’m surprised that’s not where they’ve focussed. 
- Leeds will probably win enough at home.

- Gerrard needs to be careful 

- Bournemouth are flattered with their win today. They’ll struggle 

- Palace and Everton don’t look like they’ll score enough goals, especially Everton and especially when playing away from home

That’s it. Cue the FT wums to deride this at their leisure.. 

😉

A post which will no doubt come back to bite me on the arse, but that’s what I think I’ve seen so far.

You can't judge Forest but you can Bournemouth ....

• Like 2

I wouldn’t go mad on Forest yet. They will

make a lot of their home games. It’s a huge gamble by them however this multiple signings. Their eleven today look very light of outright quality. They did this when the Greek first arrived and it set them back three years. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I wouldn’t go mad on Forest yet. They will

make a lot of their home games. It’s a huge gamble by them however this multiple signings. Their eleven today look very light of outright quality. They did this when the Greek first arrived and it set them back three years. 

Most of their signings are under £10m.

For that to work in the current market, it would take genius levels of scouting.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, kenny said:

Most of their signings are under £10m.

For that to work in the current market, it would take genius levels of scouting.

As CF has just said, huge gamble but I think they’ll win enough at home.

As much as I hate to say it, the Trent can rock when they want it to.

As we saw last season of course 

Guest Col city fan
27 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

You can't judge Forest but you can Bournemouth ....

Yeah. You pretty much know the Bournemouth squad. I’m not having that a team with Phillip Billing playing every week is going to do a lot.

Whereas with Forest, we’ll not know whether they are going to gel or not.

As indicated by the relegation odds.

Leicester btw have come down from 17/1 last week to be relegated.

Now at 9’s

F4EFF385-9A4F-4499-9195-C0BD675B506A.png

Edited by Col city fan

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Yeah. You pretty much know the Bournemouth squad. I’m not having that a team with Phillip Billing playing every week is going to do a lot.

Whereas with Forest, we’ll not know whether they are going to gel or not.

As indicated by the relegation odds.

Leicester btw have come down from 17/1 last week to be relegated.

F4EFF385-9A4F-4499-9195-C0BD675B506A.png

Surprised to see Wolves ahead of Leeds and Everton there. By all accounts they were unlucky not to get something at Leeds and I think Everton are really going to struggle this season. Noe of their signings have been great (including two from a relegated team) and they've sold their best player having only just stayed up last season.

• Like 1