Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

10 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Their obsession with Poch is unfathomable. Would he really be that good if he went back? Was he really that good in the first place?

I dont think you can argue he wasn't good first time round personally. He did a great job imo. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Massively. I see Newcastle as the opposite of us this season.

On paper, our best eleven and their best eleven? I'd honestly probably take ours, I think it's only recency bias and people's view of form that would skew that. I'm not suggesting they have no players that'd get in our team but I do maintain we've still got the better squad.

But where as we've had a manager spend most of the last 18 months slowly undermining the confidence of the squad and draining their morale, they've got one who's really lifted them up. There's also a lot to be said for the impact of momentum on a league season, I mean look at our title winning year. As much as I think our team was vastly under-rated in 15/16 and that "miracle" is a borderline offensive term, we also probably shouldn't have been able to win the league by 10 points on balance. Our momentum and the way it lifted the whole club, from the fans to the players, was a big part in the success and I think Newcastle are seeing that this year. At the same time, we're in a malaise that's dragged the whole club in to a slump of low mood.

Your original point though Finnegan regards Spurs, when you consider Kane has scored 24 goals and Vardy 1, you only really need 1 change from the 2 teams to near enough reverse the league positions, they have conceded 5 less goals than us over the season.

Spurs weren't considered a top team before Poch tbf. We overshadowed them in their breakthrough season. They had averaged a 5th placed position for a number of seasons, but at the time there was no "Big 6" crap. He took over a team that came 6th and improved their position every season topping off with a 2nd place finish and CL final.

Edited by JimJams

40 minutes ago, SystonFox said:

Their obsession with Poch is unfathomable. Would he really be that good if he went back? Was he really that good in the first place?

Yes cemented them in top 4 in the 5 seasons he was there no manager has done better for them going back to 1964 stopped looking after that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JimJams said:

Spurs weren't considered a top team before Poch tbf. We overshadowed them in their breakthrough season. They had averaged a 5th placed position for a number of seasons, but at the time there was no "Big 6" crap. He took over a team that came 6th and improved their position every season topping off with a 2nd place finish and CL final.

Is it Pochettino though? Or is it Kane? 

Just like peak Vards for us, Kane adds maybe as many as 15 points per season 

20 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Yes cemented them in top 4 in the 5 seasons he was there no manager has done better for them going back to 1964 stopped looking after that.

Bet their fans would have swapped for an FA Cup or even Europa Cup win in that time. Back in the day 4th was nowhere. Honours before cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SystonFox said:

We're probably the last fan base who can justify pointing fingers. MON? NP?

Edited by SkidsFox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JimJams said:

When did they finish second place?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, katieakita said:

In that 2 horse race between them and us when we won it and Arsenal finished 2nd

To be fair if Chelsea hadn’t had Conte they likely win the PL in 16-17, in which they finished second and were very good

Kane will be so desperate to get out, but he leaves that's pretty Spurs done in terms European football for some years. Last few years he's carried them over the line. He'll be pushing his agent to either get than Man U or PSG move done.

I think the only manager that could convince him to stay would be Poch.