Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

35 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

That Rodgers is a better manager than him? Still think he is tbh particularly over a 3 year period - if Emery gets Villa 3 consecutive top 8 finishes then it's worth discussion. He left Arsenal in a right mess - no doubt Villa are flying at the moment although they were lucky to get a point on Saturday.

By your logic couldn't the counter argument just be it's worth a discussion when Rodgers does anything remotely successful in Europe. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Not sure he left Liverpool in a right mess, left them in the state he found them in sandwiched with a season where they almost won the league. Also had his best player sold and not replaced - not without his faults for sure.

With us I think the dof gets away with a lot of it - he's meant to manage the squad and that's been our biggest downfall imo.

As for emery he's doing a good job as I said but it's a very short period of time to assess him. 

Oh I think Rudkin is a shithouse but this squad being where it was / is is inexcusable. Emery has left more clubs in good health than Rodgers has.

• Like 1

Rodgers did leave Liverpool in a worse situation. When you think of the players who left, and who he bought*, they were better off getting rid of him earlier? 

*presuming Rodgers had a say in who was bought... 

2 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

I've left games early, like ten minutes, 15 at most if it's so bad. But 20 minutes I'm not sure, even if your losing 0-5 I'd still wanna get my money's worth. 

On Spurs themselves surprised the players have not clubbed together to agree to refund the fans, cause that was embarrassing yesterday. 

Seem to recall Wigan Athletic losing away 0-4 at Chelsea, despite the Wigan players not even earning half the Chelsea starting XI they still felt ashamed about the performance and agreed to give refund to supporters. 

I'm not one for refunds of football matches. I buy away tickets knowing that I could see us win 5-0 or lose 5-0.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Not sure he left Liverpool in a right mess, left them in the state he found them in sandwiched with a season where they almost won the league. Also had his best player sold and not replaced - not without his faults for sure.

With us I think the dof gets away with a lot of it - he's meant to manage the squad and that's been our biggest downfall imo.

As for emery he's doing a good job as I said but it's a very short period of time to assess him. 

Rodgers' European record lets him down massively to be seen as a manager on the same level of Emery, for me. Even at Liverpool he was a disaster in Europe and finished behind Basel (pretty sure Basel knocked them out actually).

I'd also say he left the Liverpool squad in a mess. Most of the players he signed there were not good enough and moved on once Klopp had a bit of time there (Lambert, Clyne, Lovren, Moreno, Balotelli etc were all signed under Rodgers). Rodgers didn't win anything at Liverpool, even with one of the best players on the planet (in Suarez).

But, I've said it before, I doubt I'll see us finish top 6 twice and win the FA Cup in one of those same seasons again. I'll be amazed if Emery does it at Villa. I think some of our fans don't appreciate how good that was. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

But, I've said it before, I doubt I'll see us finish top 6 twice and win the FA Cup in one of those same seasons again. I'll be amazed if Emery does it at Villa. I think some of our fans don't appreciate how good that was. 

You're right, of course. I think what's changed is that certain players (Vardy, Tielemans, Albrighton.N'Didi) have gone past their peak and declined, and others like Evans, James and Justin have been hit hard by injury woes.  Hard for any team to keep a high standard when they lose (arguably) their best players.

Edited by SkidsFox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

lol I'm genuinely stunned anyone's even bothering to debate whether Rodgers might be a better manager than Emery. Fvcking hell. 

I am even more stunned that anyone still has the energy to talk about him.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Mods can move this to the World Football thread but check here what happened yesterday with Marinakis also involved in a pitch invasion targeting the ref of last night's game between Olympiakos and AEK:

The question is why Premier League doesn't react against Marinakis. Surely the illegal actions of a PL team owner should be at least investigated by Premier League and FA? 

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I am even more stunned that anyone still has the energy to talk about him.  

Oh man, the Puel apologists carried on for years. There's even still the odd Puel revisionist floating around. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Rodgers' European record lets him down massively to be seen as a manager on the same level of Emery, for me. Even at Liverpool he was a disaster in Europe and finished behind Basel (pretty sure Basel knocked them out actually).

I'd also say he left the Liverpool squad in a mess. Most of the players he signed there were not good enough and moved on once Klopp had a bit of time there (Lambert, Clyne, Lovren, Moreno, Balotelli etc were all signed under Rodgers). Rodgers didn't win anything at Liverpool, even with one of the best players on the planet (in Suarez).

Knocked out of the Europa in 12/13 by Zenit, didn’t qualify in 13/14 and knocked out the CL by Basel in 14/15 and the Europa by Besiktas that same season.

Rodgers has one of the worst European records in Liverpool history 

Edited by MattFox
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, purpleronnie said:

Probably a one season wonder but i do think its also an indication of the standards dropping.

Yeah there’s no doubt that Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool will be higher next year and possibly Brighton as well as West Ham.

Villa will strengthen under Emery though. 

Fulham will be fighting relegation next season I’ve no doubt. 

Wolves I’m really not sure about, they’ve been no better than us this season and at times, worse and yet find themselves almost safe. 

1 minute ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Another team in a massively false position, along with Fulham. 

Why? Villa played some good football under Emery. Fulham is decent and quite consistent all season also. The only teams in false positions are us and Spurs imo. Spurs should be around Chelsea's position and we should be at least 13th despite some dreadful performances. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Huge defeats in Europe at Celtic as well who traditionally at least made it a difficult place to go

3 minutes ago, Craig said:

Emery has won 4 European trophies, 1 league title, 4 domestic cups, and 2 community shield equivalents (albeit the domestic achievements are all with PSG). 

This is not even a debate. 

lollollollollollol 

Yeah but he lost to Stevenage 

1 hour ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Yeah there’s no doubt that Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool will be higher next year and possibly Brighton as well as West Ham.

Villa will strengthen under Emery though. 

Fulham will be fighting relegation next season I’ve no doubt. 

Wolves I’m really not sure about, they’ve been no better than us this season and at times, worse and yet find themselves almost safe. 

Wolves will be between 8th and 12th I think.