Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

14 hours ago, BKLFox said:

And to think after they had a mini good spell and went above us for a few weeks before crashing down again some jokers put him forward to replace Rodgers, how lucky are we that jokers sit on forums and not boardrooms

I would still be interested to see how he would get on if you gave him a half-decent squad. 

11 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

He's done very well with what he's had at his disposal tbh.

He hasn’t. They’re not the poorest team in the divisions. Based on budget and the squad he inherited, Southampton should be finishing 12th-14th.

I think you can at best say he’s done about par. But people seriously overrate the job he’s done at Southampton because he’s a disciple of Klopp (same with Arteta being a disciple of Guardiola).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sampson said:

He hasn’t. They’re not the poorest team in the divisions. Based on budget and the squad he inherited, Southampton should be finishing 12th-14th.

I think you can at best say he’s done about par. But people seriously overrate the job he’s done at Southampton because he’s a disciple of Klopp (same with Arteta being a disciple of Guardiola).

Whether this is down to him or not, I don't know, but I would definitely consider their squad to be amongst the 4 or 5 worst in the division. They will go and beat us next week now I've said that. 

16 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Whether this is down to him or not, I don't know, but I would definitely consider their squad to be amongst the 4 or 5 worst in the division. They will go and beat us next week now I've said that. 

Under Hassenhutl they’ve finished 16th, 11th, 15th and 15th.

That second season was about Danny Ings one fully fit season in his career and he was 2nd top scorer in the country only behind Vardy.

I’d say that’s about par, the 3 promoted teams nearly always had weaker squads than them as did Burnley, Leeds and pre-takeover Newcastle. Last season Everton finished below them due to a shambles of a season on their part too. Their squad isn’t worse than Palace’s outside of Zaha.

They won 9 league games last season, that will get you relegated quite often but the teams below them had very low points totals compared to usual.

Honestly, other than Ings’ one fully fit season firing them to 11th, I don’t know how you can say Hassenhutl has done “very well”.

I’m not saying he’s been horrendous, but he’s done somewhere between mediocre to okay and that’s about it. I think there’s plenty of average managers who could have achieved similar and plenty of managers out there who could achieved more than 15th or 16th place finishes.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Under Hassenhutl they’ve finished 16th, 11th, 15th and 15th.

That second season was about Danny Ings one fully fit season in his career and he was 2nd top scorer in the country only behind Vardy.

I’d say that’s about par, the 3 promoted teams nearly always had weaker squads than them as did Burnley, Leeds and pre-takeover Newcastle. Last season Everton finished below them due to a shambles of a season on their part too.

They won 9 league games last season, that will get you relegated quite often but the teams below them had very low points totals compared to usual.

Honestly, other than Ings’ one fully fit season firing them to 11th, I don’t know how you can say Hassenhutl has done “very well”.

I’m not saying he’s been horrendous, but he’s done somewhere between mediocre to okay and that’s about it.

The 16th place finish was probably his best season to be honest. They looked destined to go down before he came in. 

Hassenhutl has done an average job really but losing 9-0 twice is a weird one. Not many managers lose 9-0 once, never mind twice, especially in the top flight.

Something strange at Southampton though. They went from recruiting really well (Mane, Van Dijk, Wanyama, etc) to signing players who are not good enough. Ings had a great season when he was fully fit and Ward Prowse has looked good for them but there isn't much else to shout about in Hassenhutl's time. He might have stopped them going down but he hasn't improved upon it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Hassenhutl has done an average job really but losing 9-0 twice is a weird one. Not many managers lose 9-0 once, never mind twice, especially in the top flight.

Something strange at Southampton though. They went from recruiting really well (Mane, Van Dijk, Wanyama, etc) to signing players who are not good enough. Ings had a great season when he was fully fit and Ward Prowse has looked good for them but there isn't much else to shout about in Hassenhutl's time. He might have stopped them going down but he hasn't improved upon it.

He's been a victim of the previous owners, looks like he's been backed this summer but in a strange way of chucking money at kids. 

32 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Southampton are a warning as to what can happen to us if we let standards slip. Boring manager, crap squad, half empty ground.

Just as much as Everton, Swansea etc. We're not as secure as people think. One awful period can truly knock us back to the championship 

Their recruitment was crap and now that recruitment guy will build the empire of crap here

bunch of average championship players and not very highly rated youngsters who mostly flopped

few good prospects did not balance that bad stuff 

good job

Edited by tsintskaro

17 hours ago, LFox99 said:

there go some free points

Probably not helped by Charlie Austin slagging him off in a twitter Q&A last night.

Sounds like not many like him down there, including the fans lol 

12 minutes ago, tsintskaro said:

Their recruitment was crap and now that recruitment guy will build the empire of crap here

bunch of average championship players and not very highly rated youngsters who mostly flopped

few good prospects did not balance that bad stuff 

good job

The only thing I can say is that he would probably have more money to spend here once a few players are off the wage bill. I am just trying to stay a little more positive. 

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

The only thing I can say is that he would probably have more money to spend here once a few players are off the wage bill. I am just trying to stay a little more positive. 

Glover’s transfers at Saints are fine. 

Ings, Djenepo, Adams, Salisu, Walker-Peters, Diallo, Minamino, Walcott, Livramento, Perraud, Armstrong, Lyanco, Borja (loan) 

• Like 1