Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League 2022/23 Thread

27 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

4 games to go and every single team in the league can mathematically still be relegated or play in Europe. That’s quite amazing, obviously teams between Fulham in 10th and Bournemouth in 13th realistically won’t do either of those things, but when people say it’s a poor league this season, it’s really not…

The reason the PL is the best in the world, and people all over can’t get enough of it it, is that there is something riding on almost every game and this season has been brilliant for that - we’ve not been able to enjoy it/appreciate it because our view has been at the bottom, with limited quality - but games like ours v Everton and Leeds, whilst not enjoyable for those invested are great for a neutral fan.

Some friends in Germany watched on Monday night and said what a fantastic game of football it was.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Some friends in Germany watched on Monday night and said what a fantastic game of football it was.

I had a lot of friends here who loved the Everton game, a few of them who are not really big football fans said it was a great game.

In a weird sort of way, this has had a similar feel to the 15/16 season. Most of my friends/colleagues know how much LCFC mean to me and a lot don’t really care about football - but every day at the minute people are talking to me about it - was that a good point for you? Great result Forest losing etc.

Because the big Australian sports don’t have a promotion/relegation system people are really loving and intrigued by this end to the season.

We’ve certainly picked up a few supporters! The worst thing is, if the worst happens we lose all that as there is no real coverage of the Championship that your average person is going to pay for.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Finnegan said:

AHEM. 

Seamus Coleman out for the season... 

Distinctly possible I misheard and got carried away. Everyone stand down lol

We've all been there, race to post news first 

11 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Mark Goldbridge jinxed Shaw I think .

https://twitter.com/markgoldbridge/status/1654226376570855424

It's great to see this, I'm guessing he did have a did game before that, as Southgate likes he's favourites, any chance of him picking Shaw at CB. If Maguire isn't getting ahead of Shaw at CB for club, why would he play for Country?

Whilst rugby is breaking financially the avaricious juggernaut of football continues to plough through the pockets of its “customers” with the care of a cartel boss sat behind his redwood desk.

“Fans were left reeling on Thursday when tickets were made available for the friendly between Manchester United and Arsenal in New Jersey in July, with the cheapest available "nose-bleed" seats coming in at more than £135.”

Far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie.Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Like the price of fuel once people start paying it, it will stay there.

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

Whilst rugby is breaking financially the avaricious juggernaut of football continues to plough through the pockets of its “customers” with the care of a cartel boss sat behind his redwood desk.

“Fans were left reeling on Thursday when tickets were made available for the friendly between Manchester United and Arsenal in New Jersey in July, with the cheapest available "nose-bleed" seats coming in at more than £135.”

Far cry from small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts. Rush goalie.Two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Like the price of fuel once people start paying it, it will stay there.

I'll be interested to see how greed this audacious works out.

1. Have they overestimated the demand curve for a series of meaningless summer friendlies?   A thousand bucks just to get a family of five into the stadium isn't family-next-door-with-kids-who-play-soccer pricing.  It's corporate-lawyer-desperate-to-entertain-spoiled-kids pricing.  Some folks who might pay big for a bucket-list opportunity surely know this glorified "series" will be crap games between ever-changing XIs not arsed about winning.

2.  Will the teams have to play their stars?  A proper summer lets you rest your regulars (already overtaxed from the Euros and WC scheduling effect), see which up-and-comers and acquisitions will work out, and bed them in.  If a shallow squad like Arsenal has to keep playing their XI, it will backfire with unprepared, ill-coordinated sides early in the PL season,  and more injuries later on.

33 minutes ago, KingsX said:

I'll be interested to see how greed this audacious works out.

1. Have they overestimated the demand curve for a series of meaningless summer friendlies?   A thousand bucks just to get a family of five into the stadium isn't family-next-door-with-kids-who-play-soccer pricing.  It's corporate-lawyer-desperate-to-entertain-spoiled-kids pricing.  Some folks who might pay big for a bucket-list opportunity surely know this glorified "series" will be crap games between ever-changing XIs not arsed about winning.

2.  Will the teams have to play their stars?  A proper summer lets you rest your regulars (already overtaxed from the Euros and WC scheduling effect), see which up-and-comers and acquisitions will work out, and bed them in.  If a shallow squad like Arsenal has to keep playing their XI, it will backfire with unprepared, ill-coordinated sides early in the PL season,  and more injuries later on.

You'd think at those prices they'd have to commit to playing stars. Imagine paying $1000 for a family day out to see the  B/U21's!

If, and it's still a big if, we stay up, hopefully a few teams are tired and we've had a good rest. 

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Interesting point I heard earlier, I wonder how long Brighton/Brentford have left until the big 6/7 but their extreme talent or the "powers at be" see them begin to slide down the table again? 

They are one bad managerial move or poor summer recruitment away. Let's not forget that Brighton have been in several relegation battles recently. They are both doing very well presently but so were we, Southampton, Swansea at one time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Joao Pedro joining Brighton for a fee which could rise up to 35 million .

Good luck to him.

Excellent player with real potential to get  better. 

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/23503935.watfords-much-loved-young-brazilian-heading-brighton/

Should just about cover the cost of Hamza 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Interesting point I heard earlier, I wonder how long Brighton/Brentford have left until the big 6/7 but their extreme talent or the "powers at be" see them begin to slide down the table again? 

I'm.a bit of an outlier here, bit I think Brentford are awful. They have Sheffield United written all over them. 

I've seen them 4 times on telly, us twice and they were garbage twice, particularly at their gaff. Forest last week where they were garbage. Man City away where they looked on it tbf

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

I'm.a bit of an outlier here, bit I think Brentford are awful. They have Sheffield United written all over them. 

I've seen them 4 times on telly, us twice and they were garbage twice, particularly at their gaff. Forest last week where they were garbage. Man City away where they looked on it tbf

They are way better than sheff u 

this is their second season 

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Time will tell. I think crash and burn is far more likely than sustained PL football. 

The sad thing is you're probably right. It's a shame it's so predictable to see the same story for the non big six teams over and over. Brighton will follow in our footsteps by failing to kick on after qualifying for Europe too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TJQuik said:

The sad thing is you're probably right. It's a shame it's so predictable to see the same story for the non big six teams over and over. Brighton will follow in our footsteps by failing to kick on after qualifying for Europe too.

I don't think Brighton will follow in our footsteps to be honest. They have a very, very switched on owner and set up there. Plus they aren't peaking out of nowhere like we did, unprepared to suddenly need to keep up with top teams. They may make Conference or Europa, use that to build, and continue to be a club punching above their weight. The data analytics Tony Bloom brings as owner also makes them unique, really.

I wouldn't trade it for the world, but our title win essentially flung us way ahead of any possible plan we could have had, or imagined as a club. You can't prepare for or build the right infrastructure to fully capitalise on that out of the blue in a league as rich as the PL.

Brighton are building sustainably, without wild success to catapult them ahead of their plans. Maybe they might go the way of Southampton, but I doubt it. They managed to turn down £60m for Caicedo and then convince him to stay, as well as motivating him to continue his good form this season. That speaks volumes for the way they will continue to operate.

• Like 3

Yeah Brighton are superb as an organisation but I can still see them struggling with the demands of European football. You can’t have 25 players of the required standard because the wage bill hurts you. West Ham with significant revenue struggled with it 

23 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

I don't think Brighton will follow in our footsteps to be honest. They have a very, very switched on owner and set up there. Plus they aren't peaking out of nowhere like we did, unprepared to suddenly need to keep up with top teams. They may make Conference or Europa, use that to build, and continue to be a club punching above their weight. The data analytics Tony Bloom brings as owner also makes them unique, really.

I wouldn't trade it for the world, but our title win essentially flung us way ahead of any possible plan we could have had, or imagined as a club. You can't prepare for or build the right infrastructure to fully capitalise on that out of the blue in a league as rich as the PL.

Brighton are building sustainably, without wild success to catapult them ahead of their plans. Maybe they might go the way of Southampton, but I doubt it. They managed to turn down £60m for Caicedo and then convince him to stay, as well as motivating him to continue his good form this season. That speaks volumes for the way they will continue to operate.

A very good post, but in my opinion the way of football nowadays means they'll inevitably tank in 6 years at the most unless they get some exceedingly rich new owners.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I believe Brentford are on an exclusive list with Wolves, Leeds and Everton (only West Ham could now join) of teams who have not managed to beat us this season so they must be bad! 

• Haha 1